WTFDetroit.com

View Full Version : Ravens Shopping Lewis?

JS
01-21-2006, 01:17 PM
http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/football/bal-sp.preston21jan21,1,3009214.column?coll=bal-sports-football&ctrack=1&cset=true

According to a league source, the Ravens have been sending out "feelers" to gauge the interest in Pro Bowl middle linebacker Ray Lewis. We're not talking heavy-duty stuff here, but the word was out. Teams, though, might not want to trade for a player who is on the decline, is injury prone and has three years left on his contract worth $5.5 million next season and $6.5 million in 2007 and 2008. The ideal situation for Lewis would be to play for a team that is close to breaking through but lacks a veteran leader that could put it over the top. It needs to be a good fit, much like tight end Shannon Sharpe was for the Ravens in 2000.

Isn't this the exact type of deal the Lions should get involved in? Everybody talks about the culture of losing in Detroit, wouldn't this be the kind of deal that could change that? I know Ray is on the decline but it is more about having that kind of leader in the locker room. If you add a leader like that to the defense all of a sudden player start believing they can acheive more. I know it doesn't help the offense or the offensive line issue those need to still be addressed. However Ray Lewis could be the Lions Reggie White. If he and Coach Rod could convert the defense into a top 5-10 D all of a sudden, and the offense improves all of a sudden you become a places that guys want to play ateam on the rise.

I know Ray's price tag is steep but you could probably get him to restructure. I am sure I will get blasted for this post but I just think that a thrid rd pick or 2007 conditional second isn't that much of a gamble. Like I said it isnt so much about his playmaking ability but rather a statement about the type of on-field players you want.

Artermis
01-21-2006, 02:07 PM
I doubt he wants to come here. Plus we have bigger needs than MLB especially if we can get one more year out of Holmes. Use that money to bolser the Oline.

He makes me think of one person that was on the decline, but was supposed to come in and help us. Pat Swilling.

Art

MOLA1
01-21-2006, 02:09 PM
Ray Lewis is a monster and he makes everyone around him more ferocious.

It's exactly what we need.

Jethro34
01-21-2006, 02:42 PM
I doubt he wants to come here. Plus we have bigger needs than MLB especially if we can get one more year out of Holmes. Use that money to bolser the Oline.

He makes me think of one person that was on the decline, but was supposed to come in and help us. Pat Swilling.

Art

Ok, I don't care about bigger needs. Lewis is a playmaker that compensates for about 5 bigger needs. One more year out of an adequate Holmes vs dominance from a Hall of Fame MLB? Come on now. With Lewis, you could line up any other LB's you want and you're top 10 in the league at the LB spot. Plus, wouldn't you rather have Lehman as an apprentice to Lewis over Holmes? I'm sure he could teach Bailey, Davis, and anyone else a thing or two as well.

The only question I have is what would they require in return. It's not like we would be signing Lewis, we would have to give up quite a bit for him. But depending on what it was, I'm certainly listening. I'm sure Billick would love some more offensive weapons. I would be more than willing to give him one of the WR's with other players on top of it. I would have to look at salaries, but I could come up with a hell of a trade.

Moodini31
01-21-2006, 03:11 PM
People are eatilng major cornbread if you think Ray Lewis would ever come play in Detroit. It sounds good, but I think I have a better chance of hooking up with Brooke Burke at my cousin's 9th birthday party tonight. [smilie=arrgh.jpg]

Jethro34
01-21-2006, 03:41 PM
Mood, good luck with Brooke Burke.

Now here's my take on Ray. Hear me out here. He's been on a team that for years has been all D with no offense at all and yet they won a Super Bowl. It was a city that hadn't had football tradition since the Colts left. And Baltimore isn't exactly one of the 5 coolest cities in the world.

We're talking trade here, not FA signing. So while he could refuse a trade, would he? Think here. We just hired a defensive minded coach, so he's knows he'll be on a team looking to build a great D. Our only Pro Bowl players are defensive players. He's got Rogers in front of him and Bly behind him. We've got other promising players on the D and the coach will surely want to add more. And yet, with that, Lewis would get the majority of the credit if this team stepped up in the top 5 in the league defensively. So why would he fight a trade to Detroit?

Meanwhile, what could we give the Ravens to make it happen? I'm thinking we could offer whichever WR they feel the most to play with Mason and Clayton - and believe me they need someone behind them. We could also send them Holmes as a one-year stopgap in the middle of their D. Beyond that, we give them the #9 pick and they give us the #13. I think that's enough of a package for them.

Gecko
01-21-2006, 08:50 PM
Love Ray Lewis but he's not the right fit here. If we go after vets it has to be those that are priced right. I think you can find veteran leadership without locking up so much money.

the wrath of diddy
01-21-2006, 10:37 PM

BINGO! Ray would definately add that killer instinct the Lions lack.

I know it's lame but someone had to say it.

UncleCliffy
01-21-2006, 11:36 PM
Here is what is going to happen. Lewis signs here and then tears up his knee in a preseason game forcing him to retire by Christmas.

DennyMcLain
01-22-2006, 02:00 AM
Send him to Philly for T.O.
[smilie=arrgh.jpg]
Oh, wait. T.O. hates the Ravens.

Send him to San Diego for Drew Brees.
[smilie=arrgh.jpg]
Hmmm.. Brees is a big question mark right now.

Trade him to Detroit for Harrington and a receiver.
hmm.....
Yep.

H1Man
01-22-2006, 04:37 AM
I would wait to see who Marinelli hires as a DC and what kind of scheme they are going to run. If they use Tampa 2, as I hope they do, then I would pass on Ray Lewis.

I am not sure his leadership and lockerroom contributions are enough to offset his lack of effectiveness on the field.

PS 400th post. [smilie=cigar.jpg]

Artermis
01-22-2006, 10:09 AM
I think Ray would be great in the lockeroom, but he has missed 2 of the last 4 years. He is 30 years old and has played 10 years. Everyone says he is slowing down.

Does this sound like P. Swilling to anyone else?

BTW Holmes is 32 and played 10 years and people already think he is on his last legs, but to be honest Ray and Holmes have played about the same.

Only advantage with Ray is his killer attitude...HAHA as compared to Holmes.

Did you guys not hear the press conference, Marinelli is the leader and will teach guys how to lead.. He like doing that.

Ray is too expensive.

Art

JS
01-23-2006, 12:10 AM
Yeah Swilling cost us a first rd pick which ended up being Willie Roaf. Old news.

I would like to think the NFL has become different marketplace since then. Guys who are HOF's or great players go for 3rd-5th rd picks in trades.

Let me be clear on this I am not suggesting trading the 9th pick, or a future first. I am saying a 2006 3rd or a future conditional pick. Condtions such as if Ray gets hurt and misses 4 or more games we give up a 4th rd pick. If he plays all 16 games a 3rd rd. If he finishes top 3 in DPOY voting we give up a 2nd. Or simply floping first in this draft and a 6th rd pick, oh we might lose on on Cornbread Swancut. You know last year's can't miss 6th rd pick, the next Kearse,

I am not being unrealistic. I am so fucking sick and tired of all the bitching about how expensive guys are unless you are Master Ford why the fuck do you care? I so sick of the Lions playing it safe. Guess what no fucking shit guys cost money, that is why there is a risk involved, and yes Ray Lewis is on the decline. How much fucking money have we wasted on Rogers, and Bryant so their piece of shit ass can do nothing?

Atleast Ray Lewis has a HOF resume, guys respect him. I am so glad that people have convidence in Millen's drafting ability that they think he would lose on the Defensive rookie of the year if he gave up a pick. Oh wait he did that already in 05 when we drafted Williams instead of Meriman, you guys are right can't lose a pick because come draft day Saint Millen can't miss there either.

I am so sick of the pissing and moaning about the Lions but yet nobody wants to do anything but pray and hope on Draft Day or our Superbowl as Jethro called it that things change.

kdawg32086
01-23-2006, 12:38 AM
As a Ravens fan, I would be pissed if Ray left our team before retirement.

WTFchris
01-23-2006, 09:54 AM
Just depends on the asking price. I like what JS is saying. If you can give up a conditional pick (that insures he actually plays/doesn't get hurt for half the time) then I would do it. He still has 3-4 years of making everyone around him better. If his playmaking could rub off on Lehman and Bailey that would be amazing.

Go Lions
01-31-2006, 05:59 PM
i would love to see this happen. that dude is intense! probably a guy marinelli would love and a great leader that this defense needs.

by the way, nice forum. i like it.

Darth Thanatos
01-31-2006, 09:35 PM
And Ray Lewis is a great dancer! Just imagine him doing that crazy dance in the endzone after a TD!

Unibomber
02-01-2006, 01:40 AM

Just for the record, at this current time MOLA has 666 posts.

Carry on.

Varsity
02-01-2006, 10:20 AM
I'm with JS, we should DEFINITELY try to pursue him if we could get him for a 3rd or 4th rd pick. The problem with that is that shit will NEVER happen. No way do the Ravens give that guy up for Keith Smith level talent, are you kidding me!? In the end we'd need that pick plus a few guys and there is a problem with that....that's a move that Denver should make, maybe Jacksonville or Carolina- teams on the verge of doing big things, the ions are just trying to finish .500, so why leverage the future by trading young players and draft picks for 2.5-3 good Ray Lewis years...unless we're absolutely confident that Ray Lewis= NFC title game?

WTFchris
02-01-2006, 11:05 AM
I'd offer them our first for Ray Lewis and their first.

We drop down 4 spots and get a stud MLB. That's basically no risk for us, since I think the players we'll be after at #9 will still be there at #13. The teams behind us will be looking at Lendale White, Deangelo Williams, Vernon Davis, Michael Huff, Chad Greenway, etc. If we want Winston Justice we can get him 4 picks later IMO, and get Lewis for free.

Then we still have our 3rd round pick to draft a LB to learn from Lewis if we want too (or an OG, or other need).

H1Man
02-03-2006, 03:08 AM
I'd offer them our first for Ray Lewis and their first.

We drop down 4 spots and get a stud MLB. That's basically no risk for us, since I think the players we'll be after at #9 will still be there at #13. The teams behind us will be looking at Lendale White, Deangelo Williams, Vernon Davis, Michael Huff, Chad Greenway, etc. If we want Winston Justice we can get him 4 picks later IMO, and get Lewis for free.

Then we still have our 3rd round pick to draft a LB to learn from Lewis if we want too (or an OG, or other need).

Even though Ferguson could arguably the top pick in the draft, I am still not sure if he will gone by the time we pick. Either him or Mario might be available for us, depending on what the Jets do.

WTFchris
02-03-2006, 09:49 AM
I sure hope either is there. I highly doubt Ferguson could be though. GB is drastically thin on the OL for sure. The Raiders might pass on him (they drafted Gallery high), not sure on the 49ers, but they need a RB and might grab white or williams, the Bills I don't know.

Mario could slip if some teams reach for Cutler and Huff, but I wouldn't count on it.

Glenn
11-12-2015, 07:40 PM
So awful.

https://instagram.com/p/991QoNvgol/

Timone
11-13-2015, 03:19 PM
Is Murder Inc Records still around? They should give him a deal.

Timone
11-13-2015, 03:20 PM
also what the fuck was that? I must hear more.

Glenn
11-13-2015, 04:00 PM
WOMEN

MikeMyers
11-13-2015, 06:38 PM
Loving the song. Need to hear the album.