WTFDetroit.com

View Full Version : The Lions search for coordinators

Jethro34
01-19-2006, 04:49 PM
I realize we have threads about Marinelli, and that a lot has been said about OC and DC in those. Maybe it can all be organized here. I want to get right to those without reading Marinelli stuff. I'll do that in it's own time.

I've heard a lot about his son-in-law, the LB coach (John Barry, I think his name is) in Tampa, wanting to follow him to Detroit, perhaps as DC. Allegedly TB denied permission for a couple other teams to interview Barry, but maybe the family relation will cause them to allow the Lions. No sense denying permission when the guy has supposedly gone on record as saying he wants to go to Detroit.

As for OC, I've heard people say they wanted Martz or Tice. I also read something about Terry Shea. Apparently he and Marinelli are friends and he has experience in a number of different systems - worked under Saunders who many wanted as our head coach or OC.

Some of this might be repeating something written in another thread - don't know because I haven't looked yet. If so, I apologize. Then you can bite me.

Artermis
01-19-2006, 06:17 PM
I have been hearing about Hue Jackson from Cincy too, WR coach.

Heard Shea and even Mulkarkey....nothing on Martz.

martz said he would only be HC.

Barry will be in Detroit this year or next. TB LB are very good. I wouldnt mind having TBs front 7.

Art

Art

JS
01-19-2006, 08:37 PM
Martz went on SAS show today as well as the radio and said he would be open to being an OC since it is unlikely at this point he will get offers to be a HC. Can't argue with his ability to call an offense, I would take him has an OC in a heartbeat. It's the best of both worlds we would have an expierenced OC for Marinelli to lean on, but we get the benifit of Marinelli making the final decision so no Martz logic on 4th and 20.

I would like to see Gunther Cunnigham come in to help with the Defense. I just don't want to see an all rookie staff, and I don't want the excuses that come with a rookie staff.

H1Man
01-19-2006, 08:38 PM
I don't know much about Hue Jackson but from what I heard, he was instrumental in Palmer's developement.

Even though I don't like Martz, I wouldn't mind him if he came here only to be the OC. As long as he understands that his only responsibility is to call plays on the offense, I think he might be all right.

I would also like to get Mike Solari as the OLine coach.

JS
01-19-2006, 08:45 PM
My only concern about the OC is they aren't conservative. If we are going to hire a run happy OC then we need to trade Kevin Jones for a first round pick and sign a big time back like Edge or Alexander who are capable of handle a heavy load. Or keep KJ and sign another back who is capable of being more than a change of pace back. In two years KJ has been less than durable so we don't know if he can carry the ball 20-25 times for 16+ games.

Jethro34
01-19-2006, 08:49 PM
These are all great names, potentially.

I wonder how long it will be before we name any coordinators and if we can, in fact, attract any of the names we would like to hear.

I kinda get the impression Marinelli is interested in some guys whose names we haven't heard before. That could be frustrating because, on top of getting those rookie excuses that were mentioned, we still would have to wait 6-8 months to get hyped about their abilities. Oh well, at least we have the draft in 3 months.

H1Man
01-19-2006, 10:02 PM
I think Martz might be the only one who can save Charles Rogers career. With the receivers we have I think we could have an explosive offense under him.

My personal choice for the OC is Al Saunders but I think he is in the running for the HC job in Oakland. I remember earlier in the season KC was trying to acquire Joey, so I think Saunders sees something in Joey that he likes. And I like how they changed their playcalling after Priest Holmes went down.

That's also the reason why I want Mike Solari as the OLine coach. They completely changed their blocking schemes for Larry Johnson mid-season.

JS
01-19-2006, 10:04 PM
I think Martz might be the only one who can save Charles Rogers career. With the receivers we have I think we could have an explosive offense under him.

My personal choice for the OC is Al Saunders but I think he is in the running for the HC job in Oakland. I remember earlier in the season KC was trying to acquire Joey, so I think Saunders sees something in Joey that he likes. And I like how they changed their playcalling after Priest Holmes went down.

That's also the reason why I want Mike Solari as the OLine coach. They completely changed their blocking schemes for Larry Johnson mid-season.

Didn't the Redskins hire him to be the OC today?

H1Man
01-19-2006, 10:08 PM

Didn't the Redskins hire him to be the OC today?

Yep. I don't know what I was thinking when I posted that.

H1Man
01-19-2006, 11:30 PM
Cross Mike Solari off the list too. He has been promoted to Offensive Coordinator of the Chiefs. Terry Shea and Gunther Cunningham are also being retained.

JS
01-19-2006, 11:53 PM
DAMN!!!

I would hire Tice as the OL coach and assistant HC he did that well for many years in Minny plus I think players like and respond to him.

I know it sounds greedy or dreaming but like I said Martz as OC, maybe Henderson as DC and Tice as a AHC and OL coach would be best for the Lions . It can't hurt to get top tier assistants to help the first year players.

H1Man
01-20-2006, 12:41 AM
Assistant Head Coach - Donnie Henderson, Mike Tice, Jim Bates
Offinsive Coordinator - Mike Martz, Mike Tice, Mike Mularkey, Hue Jackson
Defensive Coordinator - Donnie Henderson, Dom Capers, Joe Barry, Randy Shannon, Monte Kiffin
Defensive Line Coach - Denny Marcin
Linebackers Coach - Bob Sutton
Running Backs Coach - Bobby Turner
Special Teams Coach - Mike Westhoff

Not necessarily who I would hire, just some suggestions.

JS
01-20-2006, 12:59 AM
Another person to add to the special teams list should be Joe Avezzano, he has done a great job everywhere he has been.

MOLA1
01-20-2006, 01:25 AM
Assistant Head Coach: Mike Singletary

Let's pick up Mike Tice, Mike Singletary and Mike Martz.

We need more M's!!!!!!!!!!!!

Glenn
01-20-2006, 08:05 AM
Anybody know if Pat Hill will leave Fresno for anything but a HC job?

Do you think we could grab Cam Cameron if we made him the OC and Assistant Head Coach? He's only got the OC title in San Diego, as far as I know, and he almost got the Rams HC job.

Artermis
01-20-2006, 09:43 AM
I doubt Pat Hill comes to the NFL as anything, but HC.

I would love Cam here.

I just wonder if Martz could go back to being an OC and I would like to have our coordinators around for more than a year.

Did you know that Donnie's Jet team was 29th against the run. They were 2nd against the pass, but that was because they were 29th against the run.

Singletary is not leaving SF unless SF decides to be nice.

Art

WTFchris
01-20-2006, 10:17 AM
Posted this on the coach thread (and now I see JS commented on it already):

Don't know if you caught Steven A Smith's show last night, but he was talking with Mike Martz. Martz said he wouldn't be opposed to being an OC, or even a QB coach. He just wants to teach. He said in some ways you get tired of the things that you have to do as a head coach (dealing with rumors was a big one for him) because they take away from your ability to teach.

I'm not sure he's right for this team though. I like the idea of Mularki (former Buffalo coach) because he's in the feature back mold of coaches. He'd get a lot our of Jones.

Anyway, I don't think Martz would fit well here. It would be another finesse offense. I'd rather play smash mouth football on both sides of the ball instead of just defense.

Artermis
01-20-2006, 10:26 AM
My concerns with Martz is if he could put up with Marinelli's demeanor. Vermeil was very laid back, could he handle someone who is so intense?

art

Artermis
01-20-2006, 11:01 AM
My other concern with bringing in Martz, is that Marinelli wants to run a physical brand of football, that is not exactly what Martz is known for.

Art

TK
01-20-2006, 11:09 AM
My other concern with bringing in Martz, is that Marinelli wants to run a physical brand of football, that is not exactly what Martz is known for.

Art

That's why I don't think there's any way he'll bew in Detroit this year. Marinelli wants to pound the ball, Martz wants to throw on every down. I don't see how they can possibly co-exist.

H1Man
01-20-2006, 08:29 PM
Jim Bates and Mike Mularkey are my personal choices. I think Mularkey fits in well with Marinelli's philosophy and his run/play action type of offense would work very well here.

Taymelo
01-20-2006, 08:31 PM
I'm throwing my hat in the ring for offensive coordinator.

Those guys make, what? About $700,000 - $1,000,000 per year?

I'll take it.

I guess that just leaves defensive coordinator to worry about.

H1Man
01-20-2006, 09:26 PM
GMs leaning toward unheralded coaches now

Over the past three weeks, NFL owners and general managers have taken an interesting and unexpected approach to the hiring process.

Rather than shell out big bucks for big-name retreads, they've all gone with the relatively unknown and unheralded.

Guys like Scott Linehan, Mike McCarthy, Rod Marinelli, Sean Payton and Eric Mangini are all unheralded grunts. Now that the blood-letting and hiring process appears to be slowing down, we thought we'd take a look at who may be some hot names in the next two to three years — about the time the next massive round of firings is conducted in NFL coaching circles.

FOXSports.com has compiled a list of the next group of assistants who could possibly take a ride on the head coaching carousel over the next three years. Why not get an early start on it, right?

The list includes coaches who have not had a sniff on the head coaching circuit yet. But if things pan out for their teams over the next 12 to 36 months, we could be hearing their names more and more.

Guys who have already interviewed this year or last — Donnie Henderson, Mike Singletary, Tim Lewis, Ron Rivera, Russ Grimm, Mike Zimmer, Mo Carthon — are off our list. Others whose names have also already been linked to openings — such as Ken Wisenhunt, Jim Schwartz, Mike Heimerdinger and Jim Bates — are also excluded.

Instead, our list contains those who have yet to get their feet wet in the head coaching rumor mill. With that said, let's take a look at those coaching grunts who you may just hear about in the next couple of years.

Vikings defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin:He's a very strong young candidate who's loved by his players.

He was Rod Marinelli's first choice for defensive coordinator when Marinelli first interviewed in Detroit, but Tomlin had to take the sure thing at the time, which was Minnesota. Listen to both young and veteran players preach his gospel and it becomes very clear (very quickly) why Tomlin is on the fast track for a head gig one day.

Browns defensive coordinator Todd Grantham: A very strong, young defensive mind who has the traits one might look for in a head coach. He was hot in coordinator circles last year and decided to hitch his wagon to another Bill Belichick guy in Romeo Crennel. If Cleveland can pull into postseason contention soon, and even if they don't, Grantham should hear his phone ring in the coming years.

Broncos assistant head coach/tight ends coach Tim Brewster — Mike Shanahan's tight ends coach is a very good teacher and is extremely well respected inside the NFL. Brewster was on the list for at least one coordinator spot among the new hires but can't interview anywhere until after the Broncos are out of the playoffs. He is also considered a great recruiter and the reason the Chargers got Antonio Gates when Brewster was San Diego's TE coach. He's also credited with recruiting Vince Young to Texas.

Chiefs offensive coordinator Mike Solari: One of the best coaches at any position inside the NFL. Solari is well respected by players but is even more respected in the inner circles of NFL coaches. This year, he gets a chance to step up to coordinator in Kansas City, and if he can have half the success in that role that he's had as a line coach, the next step would only make sense.

Panthers defensive coordinator Mike Trgovac: "Trgo" is a grunt. He keeps his mouth shut and never politics for a gig, which is probably why he's never been linked to one. Trgovac is now a disciple of John Fox, who carries almost as much weight as Belichick when it comes to the value of his recommendation. Considering the names of some of the other candidates that made the rounds this postseason, it's amazing that Trgo's name hasn't come up yet.

Bengals quarterbacks coach Ken Zampese: Carson Palmer's quarterbacks coach first needs a coordinator gig. However, as long as he enjoys similar success in that role, I could certainly see the owners thinking he's the next great offensive guru they're looking for.

Jaguars defensive coordinator Mike Smith: Gets lost in small-market Jacksonville and in Jack Del Rio's shadow. Smith has had as much to do with the success of that defense as anyone, yet he never gets a sniff. Smith's coaching cronies say he has very strong X's and O's knowledge and should start getting someone's attention in the future if Jacksonville continues its rise.

Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels: Recently promoted to offensive coordinator of the Patriots, the 29-year-old quarterbacks coach helped Tom Brady remain one of the two or three best quarterbacks (if not the best) in the game. Plus, he now comes from that coveted Belichick coaching tree that's oh-so-hip and chic among owners looking for a coach.

Ravens defensive coordinator Rex Ryan: Buddy Ryan's son certainly has what it takes to command a room if he needs to. However, he also needs something else to factor into the equation — a winning team. If the Ravens get hot again, Ryan, too, should get a mention in the next year or two as a viable candidate. Everyone this off-season wanted a hot offensive guy, but some of these defensive lads need to get a look.

Vikings offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell: Brad Childress' offensive coordinator worked with Brett Favre last year and now has the chore of helping Childress restore the Daunte Culpepper's luster. He'll get hot if Childress can work the Vikings back into the postseason for the next two to three years.

Bucs linebackers coach Joe Barry: Marinelli's son-in-law has been ready for quite some time to make the jump to coordinator. The man behind Derrick Brooks' madness has more time left on his deal in Tampa; but if given the chance to make the leap, it probably won't take long for him to get a strong look at the head-gig level. Like Tomlin, he comes from that Tony Dungy-inspired crew of Tampa Cover-Two defensive minds.

49ers defensive coordinator Billy Davis: The 49ers defensive coordinator has the traits to eventually become a head coach but is still a few years away. However, considering the respect he gets from players and his work ethic, Davis should continue to learn under Mike Nolan and eventually become a real player in the job market.

Falcons offensive coordinator Gregg Knapp: Never had an interview for the head gig, but if Atlanta can return to championship form and Knapp can get Michael Vick to become an MVP candidate, how can Knapp continue to get overlooked?

Bengals wide receivers coach Hue Jackson: Jackson is a very solid teacher and coach, but he needs a chance to call plays again (he called them for a span under Steve Spurrier in Washington) to make that next jump. If he can pull in a coordinator job and run a successful offense, Jackson will start getting interviews. He's a better technical coach than he's given credit for.

Redskins defensive coordinator Greg Blache: Blache is more qualified for a head coaching gig than some of the recent hires, yet he gets lost behind Gregg Williams in D.C. Players on the Bears and Redskins revere and respect the heck out of him, and he brings the toughness one would want in a head coach, yet he doesn't get a sniff. Wake up on this guy, folks! He doesn't really qualify for our list because he has interviewed for a head gig in the past, but we couldn't let him go unnoticed.

Train Wreck
01-20-2006, 11:24 PM
I'm throwing my hat in the ring for offensive coordinator.

Those guys make, what? About $700,000 - $1,000,000 per year?

I'll take it.

I guess that just leaves defensive coordinator to worry about.

Isn't that a paycut for a fancy lawyer like you? [smilie=anxious.gif]

Varsity
01-21-2006, 12:36 AM
Assistant Head Coach - Donnie Henderson, Mike Tice, Jim Bates
Offinsive Coordinator - Mike Martz, Mike Tice, Mike Mularkey, Hue Jackson
Defensive Coordinator - Donnie Henderson, Dom Capers, Joe Barry, Randy Shannon, Monte Kiffin
Defensive Line Coach - Denny Marcin
Linebackers Coach - Bob Sutton
Running Backs Coach - Bobby Turner
Special Teams Coach - Mike Westhoff

Not necessarily who I would hire, just some suggestions.

Kiffin is already employed in that capacity and I'm pretty sure they wouldn't allow him to interview anyway.

H1Man
01-23-2006, 12:30 AM
We can cross Mike Mularkey off the list. He just signed as the OC of the Miami Dolphins.

WTFchris
01-23-2006, 09:50 AM
Kubiak and Jauran are HC's now too, not that either would be here.

D's Nuts
01-23-2006, 03:05 PM
I would have liked to see Mularkey here. Call me crazy but Buffalo's O wasnt that bad and he could do a lot more here with the talent we got.

Too bad Saban got him

Gecko
01-23-2006, 08:47 PM
Dom Capers to be DC in Miami. Miami's got one strong coaching crew now as do the Skins.

Jethro34
01-23-2006, 08:55 PM
Miami still doesn't have a QB worth a poop.

Gecko
01-24-2006, 11:52 AM
Miami still doesn't have a QB worth a poop.

Either do we.

Jethro34
01-24-2006, 11:57 AM
I'll take Joey over Field of dreams or anyone else they have, especially with their line and their OC.

Besides, the argument is about Miami getting to the Super Bowl. Did you hear anyone saying the Lions were getting to the Super Bowl? Didn't think so.

WTFchris
01-24-2006, 11:58 AM
True, but i'd still take Joey over Fiedler or Ferotte. there are still a half dozen teams that have worse QB's than us.

Gecko
01-24-2006, 01:22 PM
Word is Lions hire Donnie Henderson as DC...trying to find link.
(rumor on internet for now)

Gecko
01-24-2006, 01:25 PM
Bio info..

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/index.php?content_id=2004&sections_id=

http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/bills-minority-candidates180106.php
New York Jets defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson. One of the best assistants in the league, Henderson will be relieved of duties by new head coach Eric Mangini so he can install the type of defensive scheme he wants. The 48-year old Henderson worked wonders with the Jets' defense in his two seasons with the team. Prior to 2004, he served five years as the Baltimore Ravens' secondary coach. He had great influence on successful defenders such as Ed Reed, Will Demps, and Chris McAllister. Some consider Henderson too inexperienced to be a head coach, but I would disagree. He's earned the respect of all his players with a stern, but caring attitude. It should only be a matter of time before Henderson gets a shot at a head-coaching position. He deserves consideration from the Bills.

Jethro34
01-24-2006, 01:32 PM
If this is true, I would love it. It would work out for Barry as well, since he could stay in Tampa this year (only one year left on his contract) and come in next year - since Henderson will be a hot name for head coaching jobs next season.

Jethro34
01-24-2006, 01:52 PM
By the way, apparently this rumor is going out now on Sirius satellite radio.

Glenn
01-24-2006, 01:57 PM
I haven't seen this posted here yet, so here goes.

http://www.belleville.com/mld/belleville/sports/13697565.htm

Rams hire Olson as offensive coordinator

STEVE KORTE
News-Democrat

ST. LOUIS - Greg Olson, the quarterbacks coach for the Detroit Lions for the past two years, has been hired to be the St. Louis Rams' offensive coordinator.

Olson and new Rams coach Scott Linehan, who will call the Rams' offensive plays, come from the same coaching tree.

Olson, 42, served with John L. Smith and Dennis Erickson at Washington State from 1987-89, while Linehan played under Erickson at the University of Idaho and was hired by Smith three times in his career, 1989 and 1992 at the University of Idaho and 1998 at the Unversity of Louisville.

During his career, Olson has tutored such notable quarterbacks as Jeff Garcia (San Francisco), Drew Brees (University of Purdue), Jon Kitna (Central Washington) and Rex Grossman (Chicago Bears).

Olson played quarterback at Central Washington from 1983-84. His wife, Lissa, was the head track and field coach for both the men's and women's programs at Purdue University from 2001-04.

Glenn
01-24-2006, 01:59 PM
FWIW, Henderson was drafted by the Lions in 1980, but never played for them.

Hermy
01-24-2006, 02:26 PM
I'm hearing Hugh Jackson for OC.

JS
01-24-2006, 02:59 PM
Jackson would be nice but I still think if Martz is willing to be an OC you need to try to make that happen.

Artermis
01-24-2006, 03:09 PM
I want Jackson pretty bad.

BTW Henderson is a rental. He is here to keep the seat warm until Barry is free. Henderson is very close to being a HC and this will keep him in a prominent position.

I love the pick whether Henderson is a rental or 2-3 years. He is fiery, aggressive and is like Marinelli in that he is a teacher.

Art

JS
01-24-2006, 04:14 PM
I want Jackson pretty bad.

BTW Henderson is a rental. He is here to keep the seat warm until Barry is free. Henderson is very close to being a HC and this will keep him in a prominent position.

I love the pick whether Henderson is a rental or 2-3 years. He is fiery, aggressive and is like Marinelli in that he is a teacher.

Art

I agree on the fact he is a rental. However he has had several interviews so maybe teams aren't liking what they are hearing? They said Russ Grimm continues to interview poorly, maybe that is Donnie's problem too?

Jethro34
01-24-2006, 04:23 PM
Wasn't there a rumor that Chad Johnson had Jackson in a headlock at halftime of their last game? This goes hand in hand with the rumor that CJ also threw a punch at Marvin Lewis within the same time frame. I don't know that this rumor ever made it to our forum, but it gains a little more interest now. It was never determined how much legitimacy the story had, but you can probably chalk it up to CJ being a head case. Similar problems with any of the WR's here? I can't say for sure that there wouldn't be, but if any of them are putting up CJ numbers I sure as hell wouldn't care who they try to punch.

Artermis
01-24-2006, 05:04 PM
That is purely rumor, plus Lewis would have kicked his ass and he would not have played the 2nd half if this was true.

Art

Jethro34
01-24-2006, 05:05 PM
By the way, ESPN has the Henderson story up now.

Lions hire fiery Henderson to coordinate defense
By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

Former New York Jets defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson has been hired by first-year Detroit Lions head coach Rod Marinelli in the same capacity.

The addition of Henderson, who interviewed for two head coach openings over the last two weeks, fills one of the two key spots on Marinelli's staff. The Lions have yet to hire an offensive coordinator, a position that will be critical, given the ongoing instability at the quarterback position.

One of the men with whom Marinelli wanted to discuss the offensive coordinator spot, former Buffalo Bills coach Mike Mularkey, on Sunday accepted an offer from the Miami Dolphins to run their offense.

Henderson, 48, served as the Jets' coordinator under Herman Edwards for the past two seasons. Under his stewardship, the New York defense statistically ranked No. 7 for the 2004 season, then dropped to 12th in 2005, when the unit suffered a spate of injuries. Although Edwards retained Kansas City coordinator Gunther Cunningham, there was a chance Henderson might have joined his staff, had he not landed a coordinator post.

Marinelli had hoped to hire his son-in-law, Tampa Bay linebackers coach Joe Barry, but the Bucs, as is their policy, denied permission for him to interview for the job, because he has one more season remaining on his contract.

Phil Snow, a defensive assistant with the Lions in 2005, is expected to be retained by the club, although his responsibilities under Marinelli haven't yet been determined. Marinelli is continuing to interview potential staffers at this week's Senior Bowl college all-star game in Mobile, Ala.

In the emotional Henderson, the Lions certainly are getting a coordinator whose passion might match that of Marinelli, a fiery guy. Although Henderson is not a big blitz-quota coach, he preaches an aggressive style, much as Marinelli does, and has experience in the "cover two" scheme Detroit figures to employ under its new head coach.

Henderson entered the league with the Baltimore Ravens in 1999, as secondary coach, and then moved to the Jets in 2004. Before that, he was a college coach for 16 seasons.

H1Man
01-25-2006, 12:32 AM
The one thing (among a lot others) that I like about Henderson is the fact that he likes a fast D. He is also known for running an agressive defense with lots of exotic blitzes.

Combined with Marinelli's DLine experience and Henderson's secondary experience, our D should be amazing to watch.

Jethro34
01-25-2006, 10:36 PM
Going into the second half the D was already above average. The addition of these two leaders and a defense heavy draft could certainly pave the way for us to be top 10 defensively - one or more of the rookies making an impact and/or a solid FA signing on that side of the ball moves us into the top 5.

Now if our offense could just score a couple TD's per game.

flipscrackers
01-29-2006, 12:39 AM
Quite an interesting story going on...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2310135

Martz in talks after withdrawing from Raiders' search

By Chris Mortensen and John Clayton
ESPN.com

Two days after interviewing with the Raiders, Mike Martz pulled his name from consideration for Oakland's head coaching job and is now contemplating whether or not to join the Detroit Lions' staff.

Martz is talking to the Lions about becoming their offensive coordinator and will attempt to make a decision no later than Monday.

Earlier this month the Lions hired Rod Marinelli to be their new head coach. Marinelli filled the other coordinator job on Tuesday when former Jets defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson was hired in the same capacity.

Deciding who to hire as offensive coordinator will be a critical decision for the Lions, given the ongoing instability at the quarterback position.

Marinelli wanted to discuss the job with former Bills coach Mike Mularkey, but Mularkey accepted an offer from the Dolphins last Sunday to run their offense.

Steelers offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt remains the leading candidate to be the Raiders' new head coach. Although he's interested, there is no guarantee Whisenhunt will take the job; the Raiders cannot interview Whisenhunt until after the Super Bowl.

Martz led the Rams to four playoff berths and a Super Bowl championship in six seasons. He was fired the day after the season ended because of continuing disagreements with the front office.

Martz and the Rams reached a settlement believed to be about half the $3.25 million he was owed for the final year of a three-year contract.

Martz, who interviewed in New Orleans for the head coaching job that went to Sean Payton earlier this month, missed the last 11 games of the season with endocarditis, a bacterial infection of a heart valve. However, he said his health is not a concern and he's in no hurry to get another job.

John Clayton is a senior writer for ESPN.com. Chris Mortensen covers the NFL for ESPN and contributes to ESPN Insider.

Anthony
01-29-2006, 01:04 AM
Damn, I would have loved to see him in Oakland.

Moodini31
01-29-2006, 01:16 AM
Quite an interesting story going on...

Martz in talks after withdrawing from Raiders' search

By Chris Mortensen and John Clayton
ESPN.com

Two days after interviewing with the Raiders, Mike Martz pulled his name from consideration for Oakland's head coaching job and is now contemplating whether or not to join the Detroit Lions' staff.

Martz is talking to the Lions about becoming their offensive coordinator and will attempt to make a decision no later than Monday.

Earlier this month the Lions hired Rod Marinelli to be their new head coach. Marinelli filled the other coordinator job on Tuesday when former Jets defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson was hired in the same capacity.

Deciding who to hire as offensive coordinator will be a critical decision for the Lions, given the ongoing instability at the quarterback position.

Marinelli wanted to discuss the job with former Bills coach Mike Mularkey, but Mularkey accepted an offer from the Dolphins last Sunday to run their offense.

Steelers offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt remains the leading candidate to be the Raiders' new head coach. Although he's interested, there is no guarantee Whisenhunt will take the job; the Raiders cannot interview Whisenhunt until after the Super Bowl.

Martz led the Rams to four playoff berths and a Super Bowl championship in six seasons. He was fired the day after the season ended because of continuing disagreements with the front office.

Martz and the Rams reached a settlement believed to be about half the $3.25 million he was owed for the final year of a three-year contract.

Martz, who interviewed in New Orleans for the head coaching job that went to Sean Payton earlier this month, missed the last 11 games of the season with endocarditis, a bacterial infection of a heart valve. However, he said his health is not a concern and he's in no hurry to get another job.

John Clayton is a senior writer for ESPN.com. Chris Mortensen covers the NFL for ESPN and contributes to ESPN Insider.

That's freaking awesome! [smilie=yourock.gif] I've wanted the Lions to run Martz's offense for years, but he's too much of a bafoon to be a head coach, so him at OC is perfect! I told myself I'm not going to get hyped about the Lions this year (we all know why), but it's going to be tough not to get hyped if we're running The Greatest Show on (Field) Turf's offense! I'm sure we'll go 5-11 at best next year, but screw it. [smilie=headbanger.:

Jethro34
01-29-2006, 09:10 AM
If they hire Martz, it inflates Lions WR fantasy draft positions by 2 rounds.

H1Man
01-30-2006, 01:26 AM
If they hire Martz, it inflates Lions WR fantasy draft positions by 2 rounds.

And it will deflate Kevin Jones' value by about 2 rounds.

H1Man
01-30-2006, 01:31 AM
Lions Retain Five Defensive Assistants

Just one day after the Senior Bowl, the Detroit Lions administration went right back to work.

Just one day after the Senior Bowl, the Detroit Lions administration went right back to work.

The team announced Sunday afternoon that head coach Rod Marinelli will retain five of the team's assistant coaches, including nine-year special teams coach Chuck Priefer and defensive assistants Don Clemons and Phil Snow.

Snow, however, will be promoted to the team's linebackers coach.

The Lions also officially announced the signing of Donnie Henderson as the team's defensive coordinator.

Although not confirmed, Marinelli will also add Larry Beightol, formerly of Green Bay, as his offensive line coach and former Texans offensive assistant Kippy Brown as the receivers coach.

Detroit is expected to name its offensive coordinator by the end of next week.

Marinelli will become the sixth Lions head coach -- interim or otherwise -- that Priefer has worked under since joining the team under former head coach Bobby Ross. Priefer's assistant, Stan Kwan, will also return along with coaching assistant Adam Gase.
http://lions.scout.com/2/494304.html

H1Man
01-30-2006, 01:33 AM
Lions Add Two Assistant Coaches

Rod Marinelli's staff is finally starting to take shape.

Rod Marinelli's staff is finally starting to take shape.

The new Lions' head coach recently tabbed Kippy Brown, the Houston Texans receiving coach under Dom Capers, in the same position in Detroit.

Brown will be responsible for the continued development of Detroit's receiving core.

The team also brought aboard Larry Beightol as its offensive line coach. Beightol implemented the infamous blocking schemes that has Green Bay's running game so dominant the past several years, but he opted to leave the Packers when new coach Mike McCarthy was brought aboard.

Former Jets' assistant Donnie Henderson is already in the fold at defensive coordinator.

Detroit is still in talks with former Rams' coach Mike Martz, who met with Lions' GM Matt Millen on Saturday and will speak with Marinelli on Sunday. The team is also considering Bengals' receivers coach Hue Jackson and former Packers' offensive coordinator Tom Rossley to orchestrate the Lions offensive attack.
http://lions.scout.com/2/494185.html

The Irony
01-30-2006, 03:29 AM
Damn, I would have loved to see him in Oakland.

why exactly are you a raiders fan?

Glenn
01-30-2006, 08:42 AM
LOL@Kippy, makes me think of Chris Kattan "I said a little prayer".

I'm glad that the mastermind behind the success of the Houston Texans WRs is now going to be the guru guiding our young "franchise" WRs.

But Martz would be a surprisingly good hire for Millen.

Varsity
01-30-2006, 11:44 AM
I think Marinelli is off to a pretty solid start, I like all of the new additions thus far and I think Martz would really be the icing on the cake. I think this could be the beginning of what Millen said he wanted like 3 years ago. Aggressive Offense and Aggressive D.

WTFchris
01-30-2006, 11:55 AM
I'm just not a fan of the Martz system here. The guy is an offensive genius, but his system would be bad here. We don't have an accurate QB, Kevin Jones isn't a great pass catcher at this point, our WR's are big and his offense didn't use big WR's (small and fast ones) either. I don't see his system fitting here.

That being said, if he's smart enough to make that offense go in St Louis, maybe he's smart enough to make up a new offense to fit our team.

Glenn
01-30-2006, 11:56 AM
Or maybe he'll be able to convince Millen that Joey's not the guy we need at QB.

WTFchris
01-30-2006, 12:01 PM
Before the Martz talk, I thought it might be a good idea to grab the Rams backup QB (Martin). He's a FA. Best case would be Joey catches on. Worst case he doesn't and we have someone who probably can. As good as Bruce and Holt are, I think our WR's have better talent then them as a group (Bruce is really getting up there in age). And KJ is every bit as good as Jackson too.

I'm not saying Martz wouldn't work. I just don't want another "offensive guru" that fails to adapt his scheme to fit our players.

Varsity
01-30-2006, 12:21 PM
I'm just not a fan of the Martz system here. The guy is an offensive genius, but his system would be bad here. We don't have an accurate QB, Kevin Jones isn't a great pass catcher at this point, our WR's are big and his offense didn't use big WR's (small and fast ones) either. I don't see his system fitting here.

That being said, if he's smart enough to make that offense go in St Louis, maybe he's smart enough to make up a new offense to fit our team.

Exactly. I think he used the talent he had there to create that offense and I think he could do the same with different talent here. It won't look the same, but what do we care? We just want to score points and allow our defense to T off some...for a change. Also, Bulger hasn't always been the most accurate QB and I don't think Joey would have to be ridiculously accurate to be successful. I also think that with marinelli, he's going to push Martz to use the run more than he did in stl...IE Joey won't have to win the games.

Jethro34
01-30-2006, 01:42 PM
I think the Kippy move was made as a confidence thing. Joey has been criticized a lot for being Joey and not Joe. With Kippy on board, Joey surely doesn't have the gayest name anymore.

And Chris, you said you wanted Martin before the Martz talk. Now, if Martz does become the OC, do you want Martin even more or do you not want Martin anymore? I'm a little confused by the way you wrote it.

BTW, is Martz health still an issue or did he get his crap taken care of?

Varsity
01-30-2006, 03:11 PM
I figured health can't be too much of a problem if he's seriously pursuing HC and OC jobs.

Jethro34
01-31-2006, 11:46 AM
Weren't all the quotes saying that Martz would let the team know for sure by the end of the night on Monday? Well, it's Tuesday morning and I don't see anything. WTF?

Now, supposedly he is just STARTING the interview process today and hasn't even been offered the job. Nice work media.

That's the latest from ESPN.

Jethro34
01-31-2006, 11:48 AM
Ok, beyong the link above, I guess I might as well quote the article.

Martz will meet with new Lions head coach Rod Marinelli in Detroit on Tuesday to discuss Detroit's offensive coordinator position. Martz has not been offered the job at this point, sources tell ESPN's Chris Mortensen.

Marinelli, who was hired by the Lions earlier this month, filled the other coordinator job last Tuesday when former Jets defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson was hired in the same capacity.

Marinelli wanted to discuss the job with former Bills coach Mike Mularkey, but Mularkey accepted an offer from the Dolphins to run their offense.

WTFchris
01-31-2006, 11:52 AM
I think the Kippy move was made as a confidence thing. Joey has been criticized a lot for being Joey and not Joe. With Kippy on board, Joey surely doesn't have the gayest name anymore.

And Chris, you said you wanted Martin before the Martz talk. Now, if Martz does become the OC, do you want Martin even more or do you not want Martin anymore? I'm a little confused by the way you wrote it.

BTW, is Martz health still an issue or did he get his crap taken care of?

I'd like Martin either way. I'm not in favor of trading picks for the backups out there. I would take Schaub for a future pick, but we need our first three rounds of picks to really fix our OL and grab a defensive playmaker. Since Atlanta won't do that, I think our best bet is to sign a young backup like Martin or a decent vet like Kitna (if Cincy trades for Schaub as rumored). Joey needs to be the starter in camp IMO, because he hasn't had a chance in a real offense. But, I definately want insurance in case it was more him than the system.

Jethro34
01-31-2006, 12:00 PM
Oh my. The first Kitna to Detroit reference of the year. Please help us.

The Irony
01-31-2006, 02:02 PM
*looks at the game against Pittsburgh*

umm no Kitna please k thx.

WTFchris
01-31-2006, 02:08 PM
geeze, why not jump all over me. Because there sure are tons of great FA qb's out there aren't there?

Glenn
01-31-2006, 02:24 PM
I'll support you, WTFChris.

But you know me, I'm the Chairman of the "ABJ Club".

Varsity
01-31-2006, 03:05 PM
geeze, why not jump all over me. Because there sure are tons of great FA qb's out there aren't there?

I agree, there aren't any quality free agent QBs...so why should we go out and spend on a guy we're pretty sure will fail? I'm definitely not in the "ABJ club", but I'm probably about to start the anyone but Kitna club, that Pittsburgh game is a tough one to forget...especially when he's been in that offense so long.

WTFchris
01-31-2006, 03:13 PM
I won't debate this here, since we are hijacking the thread. If someone wants to talk about QB's, we can continue it here:

http://wtfdetroit.com/viewtopic.php?t=188

Jethro34
01-31-2006, 04:12 PM
Anyone heard more about Martz today?

(trying to regain the theme of the thread)

Artermis
01-31-2006, 06:20 PM
I have heard from a reliable guy at the UM site (does their NFL draft stuff) that Martz has been hired.

Art

Artermis
01-31-2006, 06:24 PM
BTW also a siting on the ESPN ticker on the bottom as Martz to Detroit.

Art

Jethro34
01-31-2006, 08:22 PM
I have heard from a reliable guy at the UM site (does their NFL draft stuff) that Martz has been hired.

Art

turel?

Artermis
02-01-2006, 07:02 AM
Yeah Turel.

Art

WTFchris
02-01-2006, 09:49 AM
Martz near deal to join Lions staff

Mike O'Hara and Rob Parker / The Detroit News

Former St. Louis Rams coach Mike Martz was interviewed Tuesday by Lions coach Rod Marinelli and there were indications that Martz was close to being hired as the team's new offensive coordinator.

An announcement could be made today. It is expected Martz would receive a one-year contract worth approximately $2 million.

Martz was the offensive coordinator for the 1999 Rams team that won Super Bowl XXXIV. He took over as head coach the next season, after Dick Vermeil retired. Martz had to step down five games into this season because of a heart ailment related to an infection. He was fired after the season with a year left on his contract.

Martz flew in Tuesday morning to meet Marinelli at the team's Allen Park headquarters. Martz met with team officials and was given a tour of the facility.

When reached by a reporter Tuesday night, Martz said he had not been offered a contract by the Lions but was cautiously optimistic.

Lions officials had no comment.

Marinelli has filled two coordinator positions. He hired Donnie Henderson for defense and retained Chuck Priefer, who has been special-teams coordinator since 1997.

Varsity
02-01-2006, 10:07 AM
why would we sign a guy to a 1 yr deal? If this is all about finally getting some stability in the offense, does Martz already have his heir apparent? Just seems odd.

Artermis
02-01-2006, 10:08 AM
I think it is because he wants to be a HC again and if he turns this offense around, other teams will come a calling next off season.

Art

Fool
02-01-2006, 10:12 AM
Thats fine with me. Have him choose an assistant based on the idea that if he performs he'll be leaving and have his assistant step up.

Anything that gets wins is fine by me.

WTFchris
02-01-2006, 10:13 AM
I don't mind it at all. I think he could establish an identity for this offense fast.

Hermy
02-01-2006, 10:20 AM
I don't care if he comes here for a week, get the dude signed. He's IMO the best offensive mind in the game and our players are much better suited to his style than the bump-and-grind miranelli is suggesting. If he leaves next year we'll hire one of his underlings who understand the system just as well.

Glenn
02-01-2006, 10:22 AM
Mike Fowler said yesterday that Lovie Smith was really pushing Marinelli to hire Martz.

Marinelli and Lovie are super tight from their days in Tampa together, and Lovie apparently told Marinelli that Martz is exactly the guy that he needs to turn around the Lions O.

Martz is supposedly bringing his old RB coach from St. Louis along with him to prepare him to take over for him with the Lions when he leaves next year for a HC gig.

It's interesting that Lovie would try so hard to help out a division foe.

Fowler said that Martz will also be given the Assistant Head Coach title, and should still be able to collect his St. Louis paycheck and his Detroit paycheck, while at the same time re-establish his credibility.

Makes sense to me.

Hermy
02-01-2006, 10:42 AM
http://www.hadleyonsports.com

This guy is an insider in St. Louis and says we got him. He knows MM pretty well according to another site.

WTFchris
02-01-2006, 11:01 AM
Mike Fowler said yesterday that Lovie Smith was really pushing Marinelli to hire Martz.

Marinelli and Lovie are super tight from their days in Tampa together, and Lovie apparently told Marinelli that Martz is exactly the guy that he needs to turn around the Lions O.

Martz is supposedly bringing his old RB coach from St. Louis along with him to prepare him to take over for him with the Lions when he leaves next year for a HC gig.

It's interesting that Lovie would try so hard to help out a division foe.

Fowler said that Martz will also be given the Assistant Head Coach title, and should still be able to collect his St. Louis paycheck and his Detroit paycheck, while at the same time re-establish his credibility.

Makes sense to me.

True, but he's also a good friend. I'm sure Lovie is confident that even if Martz/the Lions Offense lit it up, he'd have an inside track on stopping it anyway. Besides, I'm sure Martz pumped up Lovie's stock when he was interviewing with the Bears.

Varsity
02-01-2006, 02:19 PM
Thats fine with me. Have him choose an assistant based on the idea that if he performs he'll be leaving and have his assistant step up.

See and this is the dumb part to me...if he's just going to pick an heir apparent in another year, why doesn't he pick that guy now and we hire him as the offensive coordinator. I mean if this is a 1 year OC job, the two sides have undoubtedly talked about a future replacement, possibly the former stl RB coach that was rumored to come with him..

MOLA1
02-01-2006, 02:29 PM
This is awesome.

WTFchris
02-01-2006, 02:36 PM

See and this is the dumb part to me...if he's just going to pick an heir apparent in another year, why doesn't he pick that guy now and we hire him as the offensive coordinator. I mean if this is a 1 year OC job, the two sides have undoubtedly talked about a future replacement, possibly the former stl RB coach that was rumored to come with him..

Because the heir apparent has probably never called plays in his life. Marinelli hasn't either. So who is guiding the heir apparent then? You need to have somoene in there who is actually experienced enough to design an offense to fit this team.

Varsity
02-01-2006, 02:45 PM

Because the heir apparent has probably never called plays in his life. Marinelli hasn't either. So who is guiding the heir apparent then? You need to have somoene in there who is actually experienced enough to design an offense to fit this team.

If the guy has never called plays, then how do we know we're getting the right guy from the jump...we could be in a similar predictament next year if he's not that great. I'm bot sure why I'm complaining though, stupid things like a 1 yr contract for team that's trying create a future of stability is PAR for the course with Millen and company. After 5 yrs of questionable decisions there is no way I should be surprised.

Glenn
02-01-2006, 02:47 PM
IMO, it seems like even if we hired a brilliant OC and signed him to a 3 year deal, he'd be gone after a year anyways if he was that good and a HC job came along.

WTFchris
02-01-2006, 02:52 PM
If the guy has never called plays, then how do we know we're getting the right guy from the jump...we could be in a similar predictament next year if he's not that great.

If he's not the right guy, he doesn't take over. You hire a new OC and move on. At least you hopefully have a system that works. That's what the 1 year is for. To establish an offense that can work with our personnel. Think about it this way, at least if it doesn't work, it's only 1 year. Imagine if we'd only spent 1 year wasted on Marty and Mooch. If you hire the guy (RB coach) as OC now and he's not the guy, you waste a whole season. If he's not the guy, but is only Martz's assistant on offense, it's not a loss. You realize he can't run the offense during the year and you fix Martz's replacement then.

Varsity
02-01-2006, 03:09 PM
IMO, it seems like even if we hired a brilliant OC and signed him to a 3 year deal, he'd be gone after a year anyways if he was that good and a HC job came along.

Not at all, all we have to do is deny permission it's that simple. Tampa is absolutely famous for keeping their guys in that manor.

Varsity
02-01-2006, 03:21 PM
If the guy has never called plays, then how do we know we're getting the right guy from the jump...we could be in a similar predictament next year if he's not that great.

If he's not the right guy, he doesn't take over. You hire a new OC and move on. At least you hopefully have a system that works. That's what the 1 year is for. To establish an offense that can work with our personnel. Think about it this way, at least if it doesn't work, it's only 1 year. Imagine if we'd only spent 1 year wasted on Marty and Mooch. If you hire the guy (RB coach) as OC now and he's not the guy, you waste a whole season. If he's not the guy, but is only Martz's assistant on offense, it's not a loss. You realize he can't run the offense during the year and you fix Martz's replacement then.

I don't agree in that respect. I think you get that guy now. It'd be like the Knicks trading away David Lee for Aaron Williams. Maybe the Knicks win an extra game TODAY, but their worse off for it later. And I don't think you ever realize that the guy can't call a play during the year. They'll be busy getting guys on all the plays for a lot of the season...new systems always take some time to get accustomed to. I honestly think you may be treating a year as longer than it really is...

Glenn
02-01-2006, 03:29 PM
Not at all, all we have to do is deny permission it's that simple. Tampa is absolutely famous for keeping their guys in that manor.

My bad, I always thought that you couldn't deny permission if it was a promotion, only if it was a lateral move or a step down.

WTFchris
02-01-2006, 03:38 PM
I don't agree in that respect. I think you get that guy now. It'd be like the Knicks trading away David Lee for Aaron Williams. Maybe the Knicks win an extra game TODAY, but their worse off for it later. And I don't think you ever realize that the guy can't call a play during the year. They'll be busy getting guys on all the plays for a lot of the season...new systems always take some time to get accustomed to. I honestly think you may be treating a year as longer than it really is...

What? Maybe I'm lost but that makes no sense. We're not trading anyone. And Aaron Williams sucks, while Martz is considered one of the best offensive minds in football. It would be more like bringing in Ben Wallace for a year to play ahead of Lee (when you know Ben would be gone in a year), and then when Ben walks maybe Lee has learned from Ben in that time. Anyway, you can't correlate NFL coaching hires to NBA trades. They are apples and oranges.

And your other point makes some sense, but not total sense. You cannot deny permission to talk to a coach as long as the interview would be for a promotion. That's why the Bucs made guys assistant head coaches. It means teams cannot interview him for HC jobs. Even if you do it, eventually the guy will get tired of that and leave. It's like franchising a guy forever. In the short term they won't care, but if they really want to leave are you going to force them to stay?

And you can tell if the guy can call plays during that year too. We did that with Greg Olson here. You simply include him in the playcalling aspect thrughout the year. Then when you think he has a decent handle on the playcalling, you let him call a couple games to see his progress.

Varsity
02-01-2006, 04:20 PM

My bad, I always thought that you couldn't deny permission if it was a promotion, only if it was a lateral move or a step down.

Yeah...in fact Mooch denied Olson permission to interview for OC jobs.

Varsity
02-01-2006, 04:35 PM

What? Maybe I'm lost but that makes no sense. We're not trading anyone. And Aaron Williams sucks, while Martz is considered one of the best offensive minds in football. It would be more like bringing in Ben Wallace for a year to play ahead of Lee (when you know Ben would be gone in a year), and then when Ben walks maybe Lee has learned from Ben in that time. Anyway, you can't correlate NFL coaching hires to NBA trades. They are apples and oranges.

And your other point makes some sense, but not total sense. You cannot deny permission to talk to a coach as long as the interview would be for a promotion. That's why the Bucs made guys assistant head coaches. It means teams cannot interview him for HC jobs. Even if you do it, eventually the guy will get tired of that and leave. It's like franchising a guy forever. In the short term they won't care, but if they really want to leave are you going to force them to stay?

And you can tell if the guy can call plays during that year too. We did that with Greg Olson here. You simply include him in the playcalling aspect thrughout the year. Then when you think he has a decent handle on the playcalling, you let him call a couple games to see his progress.

Point granted on the basketball comparison of mine, but by the end of the paragraph you'd pretty much made the point I was trying to original make. If Ben went to the Knicks ahead of Lee for a year, that year the Knicks would look great, when Ben retired or moved on, they'd go back to normal and David Lee would have made minimal improvement. Regardless of apples and oranges, the team results would be similar.

BTW, Mooch denied Olson permission and I don't think he had the assistant head coach title. As for "franchising", I don't want to like the guy in for 5 years, I just want him to be there for more than 1. I think after 1 year, things are hazy, but after 2 yrs, I think a number of people on the staff will be truly capable of understanding and picking up everything. Millen continues to mention that he wants to create an identity within the team. I don't think that comes with just one season...

WTFchris
02-01-2006, 04:43 PM
Basically it's like hiring a consultant. They show you how to run your work better (in this case our offense), and then leave. Whoever they tutored then runs that system. Just because the consultant leaves doesn't mean all is lost. Hopefully they know how to implement the system when they leave.

I'd like him for more than a year too, but if that's all he's willing to do, I'll take it. It's better than giving some rookie the keys to the car and having another junk offense here.

Vinny
02-01-2006, 04:48 PM
I think it has alot to do with Marinelli as well. For his first year at least, they wanted him to be able to work on establishing a work ethic and identity for the team. That's the reason for such experienced coordinators, even if they are just rentals. It would be quite a jump for Marinelli to have to worry too much about the intricacies of the offense in his first year, so now he ideally shouldn't. He can stick to kicking ass and taking names.
Next year they'll bring in a coordinator who shares a similair offensive philosophy to Martz and have him take over without blowing the whole thing up. They'll probably keep alot of the Martz playbook and build upon it.

Glenn
02-01-2006, 05:51 PM
I'm hearing (Fowler) that the only holdup is that the Lions now want a two year deal for Martz.

Glenn
02-01-2006, 05:55 PM
http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/rams/story/9278C4AEFDF23098862571080020A75E?OpenDocument

Martz accepts Lions' offer

By Jim Thomas
ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
01/31/2006

DETROIT -- Former Rams coach Mike Martz has been offered -- and has accepted -- the job as Detroit Lions offensive coordinator.

But it’s not quite a done deal. As of mid-day Wednesday, contract terms had yet to be worked out.

Martz interviewed with the Lions in Detroit on Tuesday. When he returned to St. Louis on Tuesday night, new Lions coach Rod Marinelli offered Martz the job.

STLtoday.com with have more details on this story as it develops.

STLtoday.com's earlier story:

While hundreds of media members were prowling the floor of Ford Field during Super Bowl Media Day festivities Tuesday, former Rams coach Mike Martz was in the same building meeting with Detroit Lions officials.

Martz, who interviewed for the Lions' offensive coordinator position, got more than the nickel tour. He met with team president Matt Millen and the Lions' new head coach, Rod Marinelli. Detroit owner William Clay Ford came down from his office to say hello. Martz even met members of the Lions' public relations staff.

Martz returned to St. Louis on Tuesday evening without a job offer, but that could be subject to change. The Lions apparently told Martz they would get back to him today.

According to league sources, Martz hit it off well with Marinelli, the former Tampa Bay assistant head coach-linebackers coach.

Although Martz originally said he was interested only in working as a head coach in 2006, he later changed his stance to say he would consider working as a coordinator next season if the right situation presented itself. Martz apparently left Detroit on Tuesday with good vibes about the possibility of working with Marinelli and the Lions.

After just one season in St. Louis, secondary coach Kurt Schottenheimer has returned to Green Bay to take the same position on new coach Mike McCarthy's staff.

jthomas@post-dispatch.com 314-340-8197

SKelly
02-01-2006, 07:12 PM
Alright, we have a great offensive coach, we could use some offensive players though.

Varsity
02-01-2006, 11:00 PM
Alright, we have a great offensive coach, we could use some offensive players though.

Just as long as we don't use the draft to find them.

H1Man
02-02-2006, 03:39 AM

If you mean Offensive Line players, then I agree.

If you are talking about skill positions, then fuck no.

MOLA1
02-02-2006, 09:14 AM
I'm so happy right now.

Glenn
02-02-2006, 01:21 PM
Does the moritorium that the league puts on teams making announcements during the Super Bowl include hiring coordinators?

I'm wondering if this is really a done deal and the league is having them sit on it to avoid stealing any Super Bowl hype.

Jethro34
02-02-2006, 01:24 PM
I don't know. I'm just looking forward to Monday. (holy shit, did I actually say that?) When we can know one way or another. Then I hope the team does, in fact, get that mini-camp BEFORE the draft that has been rumored, so this staff can get a solid handle on the draft and free agency needs.

Glenn
02-02-2006, 01:25 PM
Kowalski is pulling a Lee Corso.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/stories/index.ssf?/base/sports-1/1138878689237240.xml&coll=1

Martz hiring not a done deal yet

Thursday, February 02, 2006
By Tom Kowalski

DETROIT -- There is a strong possibility that Mike Martz will become the Detroit Lions next offensive coordinator, but he doesn't have the job yet and there could be some significance to that.

Lions head coach Rod Marinelli interviewed Martz all day Tuesday but, as of late Wednesday night, still had not offered him the position.

"I think it's important to step back and see the whole thing," Marinelli said Wednesday. "I've got to make sure everything is right, that the fit is right. I just don't think that you talk, talk, talk -- make a decision. I just want a chance to think this thing through and feel good about it. We're talking and we'll see how the whole thing works out.

"It's my decision."

There have been several reports that Martz, if he's hired, will get a one-year, $2 million contract. Sources close to the situation say, if he's hired, Martz's deal would likely be in the range of a three-year contract at $1 million per season. The Lions aren't likely to sign any assistant coach to a one-year deal and it's even more unlikely that they'll pay him as much as Marinelli is making ($2 million per season).

Marinelli is taking his time on making a decision about Martz, the former St. Louis Rams head coach, not because Martz is a strong personality and wants to eventually become a head coach again, but because Marinelli wants to make sure they're on the same page when it comes to running an offense. Marinelli wants the staple of Detroit's attack to be a power running game while Martz prefers to throw the ball downfield.

Still, Marinelli believes they can find common ground.

"I've played (coached) against him for a lot of years now . . . he runs the ball with power," Marinelli said. "All of a sudden it looks like one back and that tight end motions back and it's a two-back lead play. And it can be a power game because you're in a seven-man front. And one thing I really like when I had the opportunity to visit with him is that he's flexible. He can work with what he has in the system. And that means a lot to me."

Marinelli said he's not threatened by Martz's reputation of being strong-willed because that's exactly what he's looking for.

"I'm up front, I'm very direct. We had a chance to talk, `This is what I want and this is how I want it,' " Marinelli said. "We have flexibility as men as we talk, but it's important to me. I don't want to have a bunch of guys just sitting there saluting me. I want a bunch of guys who have strong ideas."

While Martz appears to be the clear front-runner for the offensive coordinator job at this point, Marinelli isn't ruling out other candidates.

"There are quite a few men I have had the chance to talk with, but I'm moving slowly on them. There are a couple of guys I spoke with already and we'll see how this one works and go from there," said Marinelli, adding that he's not putting any deadline on when he'll make a decision on Martz.

"I'm willing to wait as long as it takes to find the right man. I want to make it right. I don't want anybody to rush me into a decision before I'm ready. Then I'll make a mistake for our team. I'm going to try my hardest not to make a mistake for this football team.

"So I will step back and kind of keep plugging away until . . . and it may be an unknown (candidate) or it may be (Martz). But it's got to be the right guy. I've got to energize that group. I want to get somebody to come in and just energize the guys, do things that make us special and be a good teacher who maintains a good tempo in practice."

Jethro34
02-02-2006, 01:29 PM
Any time there are several contrasting reports, it seems Killer is right in the middle of it. Coincidence?

Glenn
02-02-2006, 01:33 PM
I don't have any proof, but I bet here is how it goes down.

Killer got scooped by several sources Parker, Fowler, St. Louis Dispatch, etc. that Martz was basically a done deal. He was late to the party.

He notices that there is a delay in getting the deal done, so he decides to try and find his own niche by being the first one to scream "hold on"!

You'll notice how vaguely worded the open to that article is, it allows him to not look like he is wrong even if they hire Martz.

That's my thinking, at least.

WTFchris
02-02-2006, 02:47 PM
ESPN radio reported a 3 year deal for Martz has been signed.

The Irony
02-02-2006, 02:51 PM
Does the moritorium that the league puts on teams making announcements during the Super Bowl include hiring coordinators?

I'm wondering if this is really a done deal and the league is having them sit on it to avoid stealing any Super Bowl hype.

The Mike Tice hiring was on espn...and even our DC was on the espn bottomline...

Glenn
02-02-2006, 02:52 PM
The Mike Tice hiring was on espn...and even our DC was on the espn bottomline...

Those were a few days ago, once they get close to the game, they tell teams to hold off on making any "big" announcements.

Doesn't matter, Chris says it's done.

WTFchris
02-02-2006, 03:43 PM
Apparently there are reports from Tony Ortiz that ESPN jumped the gun. No deal yet.

Maybe they are waiting till monday?

WTFchris
02-02-2006, 04:14 PM
Deal is off:

http://www.stltoday.com/sports

Anthony
02-02-2006, 04:19 PM
Hmmm everyone seems to be telling a different story.

JS
02-02-2006, 04:20 PM
From what the national writers are saying the deal is in place however the hold up is Martz and Marinelli are talking about his offensive assistants.

Martz wants to bring a few of his guys, which is true of most Coordinators they like to have a few guys they trust running things. I am sure Martz is just making sure that he likes the guys the Lions hired for offensive assistants and if he has a problem he gets it out of the way before a ral problem arises. I mean the last thing we need is a OC whose hands are tied by guys who aren't teaching or know how to teach what he believes. I am not saying this a major issue I just think he is trying to find spots on the staff for his guys and titles for them while at the same time Marinellis is meeting with them and giving his approval because he does not need mutiny mid season.

As for Killer he is just like McCoskey they pout, whine and try to shoot holes in stories when they get scooped. It is a stupid defensive mechanism of journalists, which just shows how everything is about ego not the story.

Glenn
02-02-2006, 04:27 PM
I don't have any proof, but I bet here is how it goes down.

Killer got scooped by several sources Parker, Fowler, St. Louis Dispatch, etc. that Martz was basically a done deal. He was late to the party.

He notices that there is a delay in getting the deal done, so he decides to try and find his own niche by being the first one to scream "hold on"!

You'll notice how vaguely worded the open to that article is, it allows him to not look like he is wrong even if they hire Martz.

That's my thinking, at least.

I guess I owe Killer an apology.

Sorry Tommy.

Now go shave your porn stash.

Glenn
02-02-2006, 04:39 PM
Killer's on with Stoney & Wojo right now, taking in all the credit for his "breaking story".

WTFchris
02-02-2006, 04:52 PM
can you recap it please?

Glenn
02-02-2006, 04:56 PM
I'll be able to when I get home, gotta run now.

But a caller just made a great point.

Marinelli is only getting $2 million a year, which means that they can't spend very much for a coordinator, i.e. they can't pay a big name coordinator more than they pay Marinelli.

The Fords have struck again.

Darth Thanatos
02-02-2006, 05:45 PM
LMFAO!!!!!!

Artermis
02-02-2006, 06:06 PM
Martz wanted more money than Marinelli is getting.

Martz is making 3.2 mil from St. Louis. Why isnt 1.5 mil for 3 years enough?

I want him, but I dont want any more headaches.

Art

Black Dynamite
02-02-2006, 06:16 PM
Yep, Killer Ko is nostradamus.

Artermis
02-02-2006, 06:24 PM
BTW new info says Martz wanted just under 1.5 for 3 years.

Now I am truly pissed and think the Lions who are paying Mooch a ton to sit on his ass and do nothing wouldnt pony up some cash for the best OC that was available.

Art

Black Dynamite
02-02-2006, 06:31 PM
technically speaking, the seahawks OC will be looked at for other possible jobs and he ran the best offense in the nfl.

Glenn
02-02-2006, 06:33 PM
Here's the recap of the two Kowalski interviews that I heard this afternoon:

--Rumor is that Martz wanted $1.5 and the Lions lowballed him.

--Killer said he wrote his column this morning pretty much based on the fact that Martz went back home to St.Louis after the interview process. He thought that if he was getting hired, he would have stayed in Detroit.

--Killer thinks if anything besides $ was a factor, it would be that Marinelli is determined to have a run-oriented offense and Martz wouldn't go along.

--Killer sounds like he has a lot of hate for Martz, just my observation from his tone.

--Kowalski believes that Martz removed himself from consideration for the Raiders HC job only when he knew he wasn't getting it. He suggests that Martz is a master of playing the media like a drum. He thinks that the Lions may have told him that they were going to go another direction, so he announced that he was pulling out like he did with the Raiders.

--Killer thought that Mike Mularkey was the right guy for the job.

--He doesn't think that Millen wants an inexperienced OC to go along with an inexperienced HC.

--He thinks the Steelers D pulls out the win in a close game.

JS
02-02-2006, 06:36 PM

Now I am truly pissed and think the Lions who are paying Mooch a ton to sit on his ass and do nothing wouldnt pony up some cash for the best OC that was available.

Art

I Agree Fucking Lions Logic strikes again. For God's sake give Marinelli an extra 500-700K to save face, then give Martz the cash it takes and call it a day. This move smells of Jeff Hartings all over again. It's not okay to pay Hartings 200k more to keep a pro bowl caliber player, but a year later it is okay to make Woody the highest paid guard in history, or roughly 3 million more per season than Hartings wanted at the time.

Glenn
02-02-2006, 06:41 PM
By the way,

Tom Kowalski = TK = http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v55/-NoQuarter-/Ben_stick_av.gif ?

Glenn
02-02-2006, 07:02 PM
I forgot to add that Killer said that the Lions and Martz re-opening negotiations is not completely out of the question.

MOLA1
02-02-2006, 08:20 PM
By the way,

Tom Kowalski = TK = http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v55/-NoQuarter-/Ben_stick_av.gif ?LOL...I was thinking that.

Moodini31
02-02-2006, 08:31 PM
[smilie=angryfire.g:
This is why the Lions are one of the biggest jokes in professional sports. The have a great chance to hire probably the best offensive mind in football, he agrees, but we try to lowball him and he walks. [smilie=damn.gif]

Look at what the Redskins are doing and they were praised by everyone across the nation.

D Coordinator Gregg Williams received a three-year, $7.8 million deal. That calculates to 2.6 mil a year.

O coordinator Al Saunders signed a three-year contract worth more than $2 million a year.

All Martz wanted was 1.5 mil a year and we can't ante up. [smilie=duh.gif] This makes me sick and explains why the Lions have been insignificant for 40+ years.

When I came home from school today, I kind of expected to hear something like this. I knew from the beginning it was too good to be true.

Black Dynamite
02-02-2006, 08:34 PM
you shouldnt feel bad. the raiders are worse at lowballing coaches. thus we have no more gruden [smilie=angry.gif]

MOLA1
02-02-2006, 08:54 PM
I'm so happy right now.I'm so pissed right now.

Anthony
02-02-2006, 10:16 PM
you shouldnt feel bad. the raiders are worse at lowballing coaches. thus we have no more gruden [smilie=angry.gif]

I thought Al Davis just didnt like his offense? Al Davis is a long ball type of guy.

Black Dynamite
02-02-2006, 10:25 PM

I thought Al Davis just didnt like his offense? Al Davis is a long ball type of guy.
al davis always makes excuses for shit like that. he never wants to look like the asshole he is. Yes, he didnt like gruden's offense. but that would never be enough to not resign him. He was winning games regardless and thats all that counts.

but Al davis doesnt like to pay coaches alot and Grudens constant sucess was gonna up that paycheck or leave.

Black Dynamite
02-02-2006, 10:26 PM
I'm so happy right now.I'm so pissed right now.
[smilie=angel.gif]

SKelly
02-03-2006, 12:02 AM
Probably a blessing is disguise. When you take into account he had Warner, Faulk, Bruce, Holt, and a great offensive line, maybe he wasn't that much of a genius.

MOLA1
02-03-2006, 12:05 AM
Probably a blessing is disguise. When you take into account he had Warner, Faulk, Bruce, Holt, and a great offensive line, maybe he wasn't that much of a genius. [smilie=antlers.gif]

H1Man
02-03-2006, 12:43 AM
Look at what the Redskins are doing and they were praised by everyone across the nation.

D Coordinator Gregg Williams received a three-year, $7.8 million deal. That calculates to 2.6 mil a year.

O coordinator Al Saunders signed a three-year contract worth more than $2 million a year.

Those were some of the biggest contracts signed by coordinators ever, so we can't realistically expect us to spend that much money.

Varsity
02-03-2006, 12:44 AM

Art

I Agree Fucking Lions Logic strikes again. For God's sake give Marinelli an extra 500-700K to save face, then give Martz the cash it takes and call it a day. This move smells of Jeff Hartings all over again. It's not okay to pay Hartings 200k more to keep a pro bowl caliber player, but a year later it is okay to make Woody the highest paid guard in history, or roughly 3 million more per season than Hartings wanted at the time.

For the record, they paid Hartings enough...Hartings eventually called to accept the offer and they pulled it off the table, he preceeded to bounce. He called it a "blessing from God" at media day.

Varsity
02-03-2006, 12:47 AM
If the guy has never called plays, then how do we know we're getting the right guy from the jump...we could be in a similar predictament next year if he's not that great. I'm bot sure why I'm complaining though, stupid things like a 1 yr contract for team that's trying create a future of stability is PAR for the course with Millen and company. After 5 yrs of questionable decisions there is no way I should be surprised.

Martz not coming....par for the course....

H1Man
02-03-2006, 12:54 AM
I wouldn't be so quick to rule out the possibility that this is just a ploy to get more money/attention from Martz. Given his ego, he probably just wants to hear his name in the media during the SB week.

But given the Lion's history, the possibility that they fucked up makes a lot more sense.

UncleCliffy
02-03-2006, 11:37 AM
LOL@Mola for being a Lions fan.

Wizzle
02-03-2006, 12:41 PM
Killer on M-Live is sayin' that it wasn't all about the money and may have been a chemistry issue.

Anyway, I liked the idea of Martz....but him using the Lions as a stepping stone to getting a big HC deal kinda freaked me out. Think about it, he comes in, throws another offensive philosiphy at these young guys and leaves....it would just mess them up more.

Artermis
02-03-2006, 12:56 PM
Yeah the more I hear and read, it seems like Marinelli didnt want him. He is only bring in guys who can do what he wants. Not what Matt, the fans or the media wants.

Martz may have had more talented players when he took over, but he made crappy QBs look good.

Art

Glenn
02-03-2006, 01:00 PM
Martz may have had more talented players when he took over, but he made crappy QBs look good.

Art

I was thinking the same thing.

Trent Green, Kurt Warner, Mark Bulger, Jamie Martin, Ryan Fitzpatrick

Vinny
02-03-2006, 01:58 PM
I think that Marinelli/Millen probably wanted a commitment to stay at least two years and Martz probably refused. That at least had to play a role.

Glenn
02-03-2006, 02:02 PM
I thought this was a done deal, especially since Martz starts with an "M".

Fool
02-03-2006, 02:12 PM
As does his first name. How does that not close the deal?

WTFchris
02-03-2006, 02:21 PM
too many M's.

UncleCliffy
02-04-2006, 11:25 AM
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060204/SPORTS01/602040329/1048/SPORTS

LOL@Lions going after Martz again.

SKelly
02-04-2006, 03:25 PM
FIRE MILLEN!

flipscrackers
02-05-2006, 08:42 AM
According to Tom K, all this back and forth is coming from the Martz camp:

http://www.mlive.com/lions/stories/index.ssf?/base/sports-1/113908740355530.xml&coll=1

Column:Martz's behavior puts Lions on alert
Sunday, February 05, 2006
By Tom Kowalski
DETROIT -- If you're a little puzzled by the ongoing Mike Martz sage, you're not alone. Members of the Detroit Lions front office have spent the last week wondering what the colorful coach was going to come up with next -- and they didn't always find his shenanigans amusing.

The latest "news" is that Martz, the former St. Louis Rams head coach and acknowledged offensive wizard, is reconsidering the Detroit Lions' offer to become their offensive coordinator.

It has been reported that the Lions, after being rebuffed by Martz on Thursday, contacted him on Friday and asked him to re-think the situation.

The only problem is that none of it is true. In fact, nearly everything coming out of the Martz camp in the last week has either been a fabrication or exaggeration of the truth.

First of all, it was Martz who contacted Lions head coach Rod Marinelli on Friday, not the other way around. And, while Martz is trying to paint the picture that the Lions are being inconsistent with their approach to hiring him, that's not the case at all.

Here's what's happened in the last week: Martz told the media that he was going to make his decision last Monday of whether to take Detroit's offensive coordinator job, but that wasn't accurate because the Lions were actually pursuing somebody else at the time.

After failing to land Indianapolis Colts offensive coordinator Tom Moore on Monday (the Colts wouldn't let him out of his contract), the Lions brought Martz in for an interview on Tuesday.

On Wednesday, Marinelli addressed the media and spoke highly of Martz and also said he wanted time to think it over before he decided if he would hire Martz. On Thursday, Martz said he backed out of the deal because the Lions wouldn't pay him the money he wanted, presumably $1.5 million per year.

Money was never an issue because Marinelli still hadn't come to the conclusion that he wanted to hire Martz. Bailing out isn't unusual behavior for Martz, who recently had his named removed from consideration for the Oakland Raiders head coaching job -- after he knew he wasn't going to get it.

The Lions were more than a little irritated at Martz for trying to paint them as cheapskates. Money has never been a barrier for the team when it comes to paying the coaches they want (see: Steve Mariucci).

Now Martz, apparently realizing he painted himself into a corner, is trying to save face again by making it appear that it's the Lions who are desperately trying to reel him in. If that's true, Marinelli has a funny way of showing it because he's expected to interview several other coordinator candidates in the next week or so.

Is Martz a possibility to be the Lions next offensive coordinator? Yes, just like he was on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday. As far as the Lions view it, the issues haven't changed at all -- it's been Martz who has given it the appearance of an unsettled situation.

It all comes down to this: Whether Marinelli believes that the positives about Martz greatly outweigh the negatives. His skills as an offensive teacher, innovator and play-caller are unquestioned, but his controversial personality -- the Lions are getting an up-close-and-personal look at that right now -- could have a destructive effect on the team.

If Marinelli believes Martz -- all things considered -- is the best choice, then he'll be offered the job. And money won't be an issue. Martz isn't going to get what he wants -- who does? -- but the contract would be perfectly in line. Two recently hired coordinators, who were head coaches last year (Jim Haslett and Mike Mularkey), each received three-year, $3 million deals. Martz might get more than that, but it won't be outrageous.

The only thing that appears certain in this entire mess is that it's Marinelli who will be making the call and he isn't going to let anything -- or anybody -- force him into a rushed decision.

Glenn
02-06-2006, 11:32 AM
Haven't heard this anywhere yet, but what about Jim Zorn?

He was Hasselbeck's QB coach, and the Seahawks were the top scoring team in the NFL this year.

Whisenhunt is probably going to the Raiders as their HC, so I'm just trying to think up and possible candidates from the Super Bowl staffs.

Gecko
02-06-2006, 02:54 PM
Haven't heard this anywhere yet, but what about Jim Zorn?

He was Hasselbeck's QB coach, and the Seahawks were the top scoring team in the NFL this year.

Whisenhunt is probably going to the Raiders as their HC, so I'm just trying to think up and possible candidates from the Super Bowl staffs.

Plenty of speculation that Jim Zorn is in the running, FWIW.

Glenn
02-06-2006, 03:46 PM
Cool, I haven't followed the Lions situation since the Martz thing fell apart a few days ago, I've been concentrating on the Super Bowl.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Steelers made a run at Martz, with Whisenhunt apparently heading to the Raiders.

If if they don't look at Martz, the Lions just found themselves competing with the Super Bowl champs for top-level OC candidates.

Where would you rather coach?

Gecko
02-06-2006, 04:19 PM
Cool, I haven't followed the Lions situation since the Martz thing fell apart a few days ago, I've been concentrating on the Super Bowl.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Steelers made a run at Martz, with Whisenhunt apparently heading to the Raiders.

If if they don't look at Martz, the Lions just found themselves competing with the Super Bowl champs for top-level OC candidates.

Where would you rather coach?

I haven't been around in a while so I am not sure what the feeling is on Martz here but I don't want him. The bad outweighs any good he can bring IMHO. The Ego, the eccentric personality thing, the possibility of him only coaching a year - just too much baggage and risk for an organization that can't afford risk.

Now, the Steelers can take on that risk. Being a winner and having a ring allows you to do some of those things.

Just my opinion but I much rather go with the Zorn or the Cinci WR coach.

Black Dynamite
02-06-2006, 10:27 PM

we'll take him tyoo. bye bye pittsburgh trick plays. but to dull offense for you. hopefully he'll call randy moss reverse WR option plays to throw a deep ball to jerry porter. [smilie=army.gif]

or not if they dont take him.

WTFchris
02-07-2006, 09:36 AM
Has Zorn called plays, or Hue Jackson? I have no problems grabbing a QB coach as long as they have playcalling experience. If not, I'll pass. Since Marinelli has none, I don't want two rookies calling plays.

MOLA1
02-08-2006, 01:22 PM
Any updates out there? I looked around last night and couldn't find shit.

WTFchris
02-08-2006, 02:19 PM
I can't either.