WTFDetroit.com

View Full Version : Rasheed does not care about All Star or Olympics

theMUHMEshow
01-17-2006, 11:30 AM
I dont know if my station (1270) is going to play this clip or talk about this today but last night in the locker room Sheed was asked what he felt about being an All Star and playing for the Olympics.

He said PLEASE DO NOT VOTE for me when it came to the all star game, hoping that the other four starters get in but he does not want any part of the all star game.

He went on to say that "I could give a damn about a gold medal, I want to win championships" He did not want any part of the olympics....

WTFchris
01-17-2006, 11:34 AM
Glad he's focused on winning it all only. I think all our guys have that mindset (even the crybaby).

No offense to Sheed, but I doubt he has a chance anyway. He has the talent to make the all star game, but he's too unselfish to make it. If he parked his ass in the post every night, he'd probably score 20 a game and make an all star team. But he just does what it takes to win and doesn't demand the ball (sometimes to a fault).

Glenn
01-17-2006, 11:38 AM
I think that is just some mild passive aggressive behavior on Sheed's part.

He probably knows that his image is going to most likely keep Colangelo from naming him to the US team, and his All Star chances really aren't that great with guys like Bosh, Ben, Shaq, Jermaine, Ilgauskas, etc. and needing to have the coaches name him won't happen IMO.

I think it's just a defense mechanism that he's using to keep from making it look like he is hurt by getting overlooked.

Kilo
01-17-2006, 11:40 AM
Rasheed Wallace made similar comments eariler in the season when asked about the All-Star game - he said he's already done all that and at this stage in his career he's rather be on a beach in Mexico with his wife(which is his plans this break) than going through all the hoopla of All-Star weekend.

I find his next point about the Olympics interesting, not because he doesn't want to go, but because some other Pistons do. Will there be any hard feelings if Billups' game starts to fall off because he played too much basketball come the play-offs next season???

Comrade
01-17-2006, 01:50 PM

He probably knows that his image is going to most likely keep Colangelo from naming him to the US team, and his All Star chances really aren't that great with guys like Bosh, Ben, Shaq, Jermaine, Ilgauskas, etc. and needing to have the coaches name him won't happen IMO.

I think it's just a defense mechanism that he's using to keep from making it look like he is hurt by getting overlooked.

If Rasheed Wallace read that he'd punch you in the damn jugular. Defense mechanism that Sigmund Freud.

MOLA1
01-17-2006, 01:55 PM
This guy's badass.

Hermy
01-17-2006, 02:00 PM

Can you imagine sheed dealing with those international refs that Duncan had to put up with a couple years ago. OMFG he would spend the night in a foreign jail.

Anthony
01-17-2006, 02:11 PM
I actually hope any piston that gets in to the all star game Declines. Even Flip to coach the team. Fuck this shit. Go rest and get ready for the playoffs. Anyone over the age of 13 even watch all star weekend?

As for the Olympics? Sheeds just saying he dosnt want to waste his summer playin ball.

MOLA1
01-17-2006, 02:16 PM
Relax Anthony...and yes I watch every event, every year.

I love it.

As for the Olympics, representing your country in the Olympics isn't a waste.

BigggChris04
01-17-2006, 02:19 PM
I love Sheed
The guy is great with words

Fool
01-17-2006, 02:20 PM
This guy's badass.

I concur.

b-diddy
01-17-2006, 02:24 PM
i heard the interview, too.

it didnt sound to me like a defense mechanism, it sounded like sheed was showing off his apathy in full force.

that whole 'i only care about my familly... and winning championships' was like an after thought to 'i dont want to do that (all star/olympics)'.

i think sheed just doesnt put his celebrity/basketball as a high priority in his life.

BigggChris04
01-17-2006, 02:29 PM
Its on the NBA ESPNs website, but I think you need their insider to get it

WTFchris
01-17-2006, 02:32 PM
I actually hope any piston that gets in to the all star game Declines. Even Flip to coach the team. Fuck this shit. Go rest and get ready for the playoffs. Anyone over the age of 13 even watch all star weekend?

I'm not concerned about it. They won't start anyway. Fans want to see Shaq, AI, Lebron, etc out there anyway. I'd like to see Billups, RIP and Ben play. Flip can just play them in the bench role (15-20 minutes) as spark plugs. I don't think it will matter in terms of rest at all. As long as they don't get hurt there are no worries from me.

Anthony
01-17-2006, 02:34 PM
Relax Anthony...and yes I watch every event, every year.

I love it.

I WONT RELAX, DAMN IT!

*Takes adderal*

Ahhhhhh......

*re-writes dictionary*

geerussell
01-17-2006, 03:40 PM
International competition was fun back when it actually meant something as a proxy for the cold war with the USA and USSR in a high-stakes global competition for hearts and minds. Every gold medal we got was a jab in the face of communism.

Now the olympics are just america going flexo when we win or the banana republic of crapzikstan declaring a national holiday when we lose. Not much of consequence either way.

I'm happy to see all the pistons sit it out and focus on the competition that really matters.

Varsity
01-17-2006, 03:55 PM

Thanks Dr. Danzig!

http://home.rixtele.com/~urdskalla/Skivomslag/Dr_Phil_McGraw.jpg

Koolaid
01-17-2006, 05:29 PM
I disagree with everyone who says he doesn't have a shot at being voted in by the coaches. Coaches all respect his game. A few don't like him personally, but no one doubts his talent.

With him having said that he wants nothing to do with the all-star game, I expect the coaches to vote him in for sure now. Remember him shouting at Dunleavy calling him a dumbfuck after a pistons win? He probably just got himself a vote right there.

Kilo
01-17-2006, 06:28 PM

But it isn't some Patriotic duty either...

MOLA1
01-17-2006, 06:36 PM
For some it is. Iverson played his heart out.

Too bad there's so many bitch made players in the NBA these days.

We'd probably have the 2nd best Dream Team on our hands.

Kilo
01-17-2006, 06:50 PM
Call me nuts, but I think we could put together a better Dream Team today for no other reason that Isiah was left off the original team due to politics and Laettner was on the team.

It would be like sending the best 12 players possible, but chosing to leave Iverson off the team.

MOLA1
01-17-2006, 06:57 PM
You're nuts.

I agree with the Isiah part and why the fuck wasn't Nique there, but other than that...no.

The holy trinity of basketball was on that squad.

Jordan Magic Bird

Matt
01-17-2006, 06:59 PM
Call me nuts, but I think we could put together a better Dream Team today for no other reason that Isiah was left off the original team due to politics and Laettner was on the team.

It would be like sending the best 12 players possible, but chosing to leave Iverson off the team.

yeah, dude, i think you're nuts :) the Dream Team was just sick. individually they were the best and they all knew how to play as a winning team.

Kilo
01-17-2006, 07:12 PM
It might have been the holy trinity, but 10 years from now Bryant, James and Garnett will be just as revered. Actually they wont be because of the vast expanse of competitive media and more choices, but they should be.

Keep in mind these players will be two years older - but King James, Kobe, KG, Amare, Bosh, Howard, Marion, Allen, Iverson, Paul, Wade, is the makings of a very sick team.

I think history will look vary favorably on each individually as they look and rank the original dream teamers(barring injury). And with the recent winnings of the Pistons and the Spurs, I think the trend is towards team players over desire to be the superstar - look at al the kids coming out in the recent drafts - all are pretty humble kids.

MOLA1
01-17-2006, 07:19 PM
I said 2nd best homie...I meant it.

THIS IS THE GREATEST TEAM EVER
Ewing, Robinson
Barkley, Malone, Laettner
Bird, Pippen, Mullin
Jordan, Drexler
Magic, Stockton

Fucking amazing whether Laettner was on there or not.
If they needed a collegiate, It should have been
Shaq or Zo, but whatever.

IMO It should have been Nique and Thomas instead of Laettner and
Mullin but I still think that this is the best team ever...hands down.

The only reason Ewing, Barkley, Stockton and Malone didn't win is because
of Michael Jordan and his boy Scottie. Without them you're talking
about a team full of Hall of Famers WITH rings to prove it.

Darth Thanatos
01-17-2006, 10:31 PM
Someone who isn't an all-star or Olympic material generally don't care about them.

Taymelo
01-17-2006, 11:11 PM

yeah, dude, i think you're nuts :) the Dream Team was just sick. individually they were the best and they all knew how to play as a winning team.

Agreed.

It was pretty much the last of the "I can get my points and also set up my teammates" league of gentlemen/stars - on top of that, they had a more international game - everyone could dribble, pass, and shoot from outside - international requirements that most current players can't do (they play isolation/1 on1/drive/slash/dunk, though, which is good in the NBA game).