WTFDetroit.com

View Full Version : The official Steeler fan thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Glenn
01-16-2006, 09:59 AM
Since we've got a handful of Steeler fans here, I thought we could use our own thread to discuss the playoff run.

I thought about asking Lions fans to adopt the Steelers, but I don't want any part of that Lions mojo.

Steeler fan roll call!

(p.s. I was going to start this thread last week, but I'll admit that I thought that the Colts were basically unbeatable, so I didn't bother)

Gecko
01-16-2006, 10:05 AM
Steeler fan here since birth....Mom's side of the family were born and raised in Avilla and yes good ol' White Plains, PA home of Rolling Rock beer.

Grew up both a Pirates and Steelers fan. Great time to be a Pitt fan back in the 70's with both the Pirates and Steel Curtain.

Anyone remember "We are family" Pops, Parker, Omar Moreno, Ken Tekulve. Those were the day's.

Black Dynamite
01-16-2006, 10:07 AM
bah humbug to you crummy steeler fans. im only forced to root for you mangy fucks because you play against my most hated team on earth. the roll on your ankle and end your career bronc-hos.

Glenn
01-16-2006, 10:07 AM
I have no direct Pennsylvania ties, but being a child of the 70's I was fascinated with both the Steelers and the Pirates.

Willie Stargell is my all-time favorite baseball player.

Fraserburn
01-16-2006, 10:12 AM
I was pulling for the steelers yesterday and i was happy to see them win
especially with "MSU's" vanderchoke missing that field goal

im sorry though that i am nota true steelers fan
truth be known Im a Bears fan.....

Artermis
01-16-2006, 10:43 AM
I was more of a Cowboys fans back in the 70's since my dad's family was all basically from Dallas. I have much respect for the Steelers. I would love to have Cowher as a coach.

Art

Anthony
01-16-2006, 12:08 PM
Raiders Blow, Lions Blow, and I've always loved The Bus, so here I am.

Black Dynamite
01-16-2006, 01:08 PM
die bitch. i hope jack tatum bears down on your soul for the rest of your life
http://www.bullz-eye.com/sports/features/2005/images/mofos/jack_tatum.jpg
sorry about the bitch part, you damn traitor :D

Darth Thanatos
01-16-2006, 01:45 PM
I live and die for Detroit sports. All you traitors can suck my fuck.

I'm rooting for the Bus all the way, so that's why I'm here. And also because Randle-El is a funny name.

theMUHMEshow
01-16-2006, 01:52 PM
I have liked the Steelers since GREG LLOYD!

God he is a bad ass...I am not going to say I am a die hard or anything, I just hope they win....

Taymelo
01-16-2006, 01:54 PM
I like when Bill Cowher gets angry, and spits while he's yelling.

That's all I've got on this subject, folks.

Varsity
01-16-2006, 02:23 PM
I was pulling for the steelers yesterday and i was happy to see them win

im sorry though that i am nota true steelers fan
truth be known Im a Bears fan.....

MSU? He went to West Virginia didn't he?

kdawg32086
01-16-2006, 02:29 PM
I picked the Steelers to go to the Super Bowl when the playoffs started. Unfortunately, I have them losing to Seattle.

DrRay11
01-16-2006, 02:44 PM
They're probably my second-favorite NFL team due to Big Ben Roethlisberger being from a town very close to me.

Glenn
01-16-2006, 02:49 PM

Maybe you are thinking of Paul Edinger? Morten Anderson?

Anthony
01-16-2006, 02:49 PM
die bitch. i hope jack tatum bears down on your soul for the rest of your life
http://www.bullz-eye.com/sports/features/2005/images/mofos/jack_tatum.jpg
sorry about the bitch part, you damn traitor :D

Take it easy man, i'm on Team C here! :lol:

Fraserburn
01-16-2006, 02:55 PM

Maybe you are thinking of Paul Edinger? Morten Anderson?

haha no vanderjagt signed with MSU as a QB in 1988
ended up going to West Virgina as a kicker

Glenn
01-18-2006, 03:15 PM
I can't believe that Porter is not going to be fined.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs05/news/story?id=2296578

Report: Porter won't be fined for comments on refs

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ESPN.com news services

The NFL admitted getting a crucial call wrong in the Steelers' victory over the Colts on Sunday. Now, reportedly, the league is prepared to give the Steelers' Joey Porter a break for his response.

An NFL source told ESPN2 Cold Pizza contributor Bob Glauber that Porter will not be fined for his comments about NFL officials following Sunday's game. Also, the Beaver (Pa.) County Times is reporting that Porter was told by coach Bill Cowher that he won't be fined.

When Troy Polamalu's fourth-quarter interception was overturned by referee Pete Morelli, Porter felt the Steelers were facing opponents on two fronts: the Colts and the refs.

"I know they wanted Indy to win this game," Porter said after the game. "The whole world loves Peyton Manning, but come on man, don't take the game away from us.

"I felt they were cheating us. When the interception happened, everybody in the world knew that was an interception. Don't cheat us that bad. When they did that, they really want Peyton Manning and these guys to win the Super Bowl. They are just going to straight take it for them. I felt that they were like 'We don't even care if you know we're cheating. We're cheating for them.' "

Mike Pereira, the league's vice president of officiating, said in a statement that Morelli should have let the call on the field stand.

"He maintained possession long enough to establish a catch," Pereira said. "Therefore, the replay review should have upheld the call on the field that it was a catch and fumble."

Cowher dismissed Porter's angry comments Tuesday, calling them "ridiculous."

"Joey's comments at the end of the game were certainly made out of frustration," Cowher said. "But there's no conspiracy or things of that nature. That's ridiculous."

Fraserburn
01-18-2006, 03:18 PM
haha i'd be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt after that brutal officiating job
the Officials in all 4 games last weekend were pretty weak
and i think the NFL knows that and just wants to sweep this under the rug

Glenn
02-02-2006, 11:52 AM
I thought some of the Steeler fans here would enjoy this, I did.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-superbowl-steelersemblem&prov=ap&type=lgns

No, Steelers didn't steal their logo -- but even today, it's not theirs

By ALAN ROBINSON, AP Sports Writer
February 2, 2006

DETROIT (AP) -- The Pittsburgh Steelers' logo is one of the best-known in pro sports, the three starlike symbols that decorate one side -- and only one side -- of their black-as-coal helmets.

Many NFL fans think they represent Pittsburgh's three rivers, or the diamond shape of the city's downtown.

Here's the surprise: the Steelers' symbol isn't theirs, and never was. Instead, it belongs to the country's steel industry and originally had nothing to do with football, Pittsburgh or the Steelers.

An even bigger surprise: the idea for the Steelers to wear it came from, of all cities, Cleveland.

Before 1962, the Steelers' most-used logo was a punter booming a kick while balanced on a steel beam -- a fitting symbol given how often they punted in those days. Before that season, executives of Cleveland-based Republic Steel suggested the Steelers wear a new emblem called the Steelmark, originally designed for U.S. Steel.

The Steelmark contained the word "steel" and the trio of four-pointed stars, known as hypocycloids, in yellow, orange and blue.

Initially, the colors were to represent the attributes of steel but, that proved confusing and were quickly changed to stand for the three materials used in steelmaking (yellow for coal, orange for iron ore, blue for scrap steel).

OK, so how does this relate to Mean Joe Greene, Rod Woodson and Ben Roethlisberger?

Dan Rooney, the son of Steelers founder Art Rooney, liked Republic Steel's suggestion and agreed to adopt the Steelmark after the American Iron and Steel Institute, which officially owned the symbol, gave its approval.

Helmet logos were nothing new in the NFL; the 1948 Rams were the first team to display them.

"I thought it was a good idea, but I wasn't sure how it would be received," said Dan Rooney, now the team's chairman. "That's why it's only on one side of the helmet. Then we took it from there, and we had everybody asking questions and I said, `Let's keep it that way. It's really a novelty."'

Hence why the logo, to this day, is on only one side of the helmet (it's also been rumored the team's longtime equipment manager, Jack Hart, wasn't happy with slapping the logo on so many helmets and refused to do both sides).

Four Steelers players -- running backs John Henry Johnson and Dick Hoak, quarterback Bobby Layne and receiver Buddy Dial -- proudly held up the logo for publicity photos when it was introduced before that 1962 training camp.

At the time, the Steelers were No. 2 in town to the Pirates in popularity and were looking for anything to sell more tickets or drum up interest. Not long before, they were the first NFL team to have cheerleaders (who, unlike the steel symbol, proved to be a short-lived idea.)

"We held up this big old Steeler emblem, and we got our picture taken with it," said Hoak, the team's running backs coach and a Steelers player or coach all but one of the last 45 years. "But I don't remember how we reacted to it -- I mean, an emblem's an emblem."

Not to a Steelers fan looking forward to Sunday's Super Bowl against Seattle, it isn't.

The Steelers had a surprisingly good record (9-5) in 1962, so they chose to keep the logo, with two changes. One, the helmets were switched from gold to black. Second, the Steelers were given permission to change the word "Steel" in the logo to "Steelers."

The logo hasn't changed since, fittingly enough for a franchise that has switched head coaches only once since 1969 and values consistency and tradition.

"I knew it was a good one, a good symbol and said what we were. It said steel," Dan Rooney said. "It's still good."

WTFchris
02-02-2006, 11:55 AM
I have liked the Steelers since GREG LLOYD!

God he is a bad ass...I am not going to say I am a die hard or anything, I just hope they win....

Good call. That's when I first started liking them. I didn't start rooting for them until Hines Ward though. I of course like Bettis too, and I like Big Ben as well.

They weren't my favorite non-detroit team back in the day though. I was a Bills fan (losing all those superbowls busted my balls).

bangpow
02-03-2006, 01:00 PM
Yet, he's betting on the Seachickens to win the game.

Glenn
02-07-2006, 12:37 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060207/ap_on_sp_fo_ne/fbn_super_bowl_steelers_parade

Steeler Fans Rally to Honor Champions

By DAN NEPHIN, Associated Press Writer
57 minutes ago

Thousands of Steelers fans, some holding signs that simply said "Thanks!", crowded downtown streets Tuesday for a parade honoring the team's Super Bowl win.

Many fans held Terrible Towels and waved "Champs!" signs in mid-20s temperatures amid snow flurries. Several held signs with a photo of Steelers founder Art Rooney Sr. and the words "We remember." Others wore black-and-gold hard hats.

Coach Bill Cowher and the players, dressed in gray Super Bowl champion sweat shirts, rode along the route in the back of pickup trucks and other cars. Many recorded the crowd on video cameras as their families rode along with them.

Mayor Bob O'Connor rode along too, sporting a white Jerome Bettis jersey. Even Gov. Ed Rendell, a die-hard Philadelphia Eagles fan, came to cheer on the team.

Crowds lined the mile-long parade route. Sightseeing boats crowded with fans in Steelers gear ferried people from the city's South Side to downtown for the parade.

Jeff and Stacy Krieger traveled 3 1/2 hours from York County to Pittsburgh on Monday night to be at the parade with their 9-year-old son, Dylan, and 6-year-old daughter, Makensey.

"It's been 25 years or however long it's been," said Jeff Krieger, a construction foreman and lifelong Steelers fan. "It might be another 25 years. You never know."

Pete Paolello, 37, staked out a nice spot on a traffic island next to the parade route. That was the reward for making the 12-hour drive from Boston and getting into town at 5 a.m. Tuesday.

"I gave my bosses a heads up last week, 'If we win, I'll be out,'" Paolello said. His 24-year-old sister, Josie, of Erie, carried a sign that read "We came from Beantown to Bus-town," referring to Bettis, the retiring running back.

But Paolello's 20-year-old son, Ryan Fernandez, didn't look happy to be in the crowd. He stood out in the sea of black and gold wearing a Red Sox jersey.

"He dragged me out," said Fernandez, who admitted he is a New England Patriots fan.

The plaza near Point State Park was packed with people standing shoulder to shoulder, at least nine rows deep. There was the usual assortment of popular Steelers jerseys in the crowd — Bettis, Super Bowl MVP Hines Ward and quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, to name a few — along with office workers dressed in suits and overcoats wearing Steelers knit hats or black-and-gold scarves.

The plaza was rocking as an assortment of hip-hop music blared over the loud speakers, and it soon got louder when the unofficial Steelers anthem and the Pittsburgh Polka started playing.

The parade was a chance for people to show off their new Super Bowl T-shirts and hats.

Jim Disilverio, 53, a postman from Dillsburg, about three hours east of Pittsburgh, bought a hat, Steelers shirt and Super Bowl edition of the Terrible Towel.

To get to the parade, Disilverio left his house at 3 a.m. Tuesday in a black Volkswagen Beetle that he fashioned to look like a Steelers helmet. He said he was at the Steelers victory parade in the 1970s when they won their first Super Bowl.

"I was surprised that they got this far, the way they played the beginning of the season," Disilverio said.

The Steelers won their fifth Super Bowl title Sunday, beating the Seattle Seahawks 21-10 in Detroit, in the team's first Super Bowl win since 1980.

The parade, featuring several high school marching bands, began at Mellon Arena. It was to travel a mile along Centre Avenue before heading to Point State Park.

Glenn
08-28-2006, 04:03 PM
We had one of these last year since there are a few of us Steelers fans here, might as well try it again.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=06nflpreview_steelers&prov=tsn&type=lgns

Season preview: Pittsburgh Steelers

By Gerry Dulac, SportingNews

Bill Cowher didn't think the Pittsburgh Steelers were the best team in the NFL in 2005. He merely thought they were the best team at the right time.

The Steelers got hot when it mattered most last season, winning their final four regular-season games to make the playoffs. Then, they rode that momentum to playoff wins over the Bengals, Colts and Broncos before beating the Seahawks in the Super Bowl.

Two of the Steelers' five losses came when quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was injured. Another came at Indianapolis in Roethlisberger's first game back after missing three games because of knee surgery. That should tell you about Roethlisberger's value to the team, and the team will be tested once more if the repercussions of Roethlisberger's June 12 motorcycle accident have season-long effects.

This year, with 19 of 22 starters returning, the Steelers have a chance to pull off a double play: produce a better record than last year's 11-5 and be a better team.

"I think we have put ourselves in good position after winning a Super Bowl," Cowher says.

In other words, look out for the Steelers.

GAME PLAN
Offense: Coordinator Ken Whisenhunt has done a wonderful job of restoring balance in the offense. He has put emphasis back on the running game but relies on Roethlisberger to make big plays downfield. The mix keeps teams off-balance and allows both phases of the offense to flourish.

Defense: Coordinator Dick LeBeau has constructed the ideal 3-4 defense: strong in the middle with immovable nose tackle Casey Hampton; disruptive on the edges with pass-rushing outside linebackers Joey Porter and Clark Haggans; and potent in the secondary with Troy Polamalu, a big-play strong safety who can run like a cornerback and hit like a linebacker.

SPOTLIGHT PLAYERS
QB Ben Roethlisberger: The Steelers are a very good team with Roethlisberger but only decent without him – that scenario looms over them if injuries keep him out for significant time. His performance in the postseason elevated him into the elite class of NFL quarterbacks.

When healthy, Roethlisberger throws effectively against man or zone coverage and is just as adept throwing on the run as he is from the pocket. He has developed into the Daryle Lamonica of his generation: He isn't afraid to throw deep and he does it with uncanny accuracy.

WR Hines Ward: The focus of the passing game remains Ward, perhaps the best all-around receiver in the league. Although Ward lacks elite speed, he has reliable hands and excellent concentration in traffic, is a great route runner who sets up defenders with double moves and is the best blocking receiver in the NFL. His downfield blocking is crucial to the running game. A former college quarterback, he could replace Antwaan Randle El as a multidimensional threat among the wideouts.

The starting job that opened with Randle El's free-agent departure will be filled by Cedrick Wilson, who spent much of last season rotating with Randle El. Wilson has good deep speed and can accelerate to catch the ball. After a slow start last season, he developed into the team's top big-play threat late in the regular season and in the playoffs.

SS Troy Polamalu: Polamalu has developed into one of the league's most disruptive players. LeBeau gave him an expanded role in 2005, allowing him to play closer to the line in the team's "quarter" package that featured three cornerbacks and three safeties. Polamalu was used more like a linebacker; he blitzed a lot and was responsible for more tight end coverage. He has such good speed that LeBeau isn't afraid to use him to cover wide receivers.

The team signed Redskins free agent Ryan Clark to replace Chris Hope at free safety. Clark's biggest role will be to make sure he is covering for Polamalu when Polamalu moves close to the line. Clark isn't as physical as Hope, but he has good speed and probably is more suited to play free safety than Hope was.

Tyrone Carter, who is physical against the run but struggles in coverage, will back up Polamalu.

FALL FORECAST
The Steelers have a tough schedule that will make it difficult for them to win the division – something they didn't do last year, either – and other teams will raise their level of play each week against the defending Super Bowl champs. When Roethlisberger is healthy, the Steelers are almost unstoppable on offense because they can run and throw equally well.

Couple that with an attacking defense and the ingredients are there for the Steelers to reach the conference championship for the third year in a row – and maybe more. Bottom line: So much is riding on Roethlisberger's health.

Black Dynamite
08-28-2006, 04:08 PM
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c32/fiscusb/steelerdog.jpg

Good luck to your team Glenn. I see the lions have killed your spirits before the season started.

Glenn
08-28-2006, 04:23 PM
I think the Steelers make it to the AFC Championship but fall just short to the Colts. I don't know how that can be considered having your spirits killed.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you?

If you are taking a shot at the Lions and not the Steelers, go ahead, they deserve it for keeping Millen around this long (actually hiring him in the first place).

And you, as a Raider fan, should know all about having your spirits dampened. Just be glad the Raiders didn't hire Millen before the Lions could. That's the one correct move they've made lately. Maybe he'll go there next?

Glenn
08-29-2006, 11:47 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/preview06/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=2563731

Steelers shine when times get tough

By John Clayton
ESPN.com

Only 15 franchises have experienced the joys and pleasures of winning the Lombardi Trophy. It's an exclusive club for a reason.

What makes it so exclusive is how hard it is assemble the talent, peak at the right time and have the tenacity to win it all. The Steelers, Cowboys and 49ers have five Super Bowl titles apiece, more than a third of the 40 championships.

The reasons for their success are stability, character players, quarterbacks who are leaders and great head coaches who set the right agenda. As hard as other franchises try, it's difficult to capture all of those elements.

Following the most recent Super Bowl, folks were taken aback by a Bill Cowher statement that the Steelers might not have been the most talented team in 2005. He was right. One or two other teams might have been more talented on paper. Although the Steelers were a wild card and a No. 6 seed in the AFC, they would have been the No. 2 seed were it not for some poor performances by Ben Roethlisberger's backup while Roethlisberger recovered from injuries.

Raiders boss Al Davis has said that in certain years, teams can steal a Super Bowl, and that's what the Steelers did. They got hot at the end of the season and put everything together when the odds were against them. The key is to fight adversity, and that doesn't happen if the team isn't filled with character players and the right leadership.

When Pittsburgh lost 38-31 to the Bengals on Dec. 4 at Heinz Field, the Steelers were at a crossroads. They were 7-5. The Bengals, led by vocal wide receiver Chad Johnson, came off the field waving Terrible Towels to announce a new day was dawning in the AFC North, that the Bengals were suddenly the team to beat.

At that moment, the Steelers started to come together as a championship team.

"We have a board in our meeting room that lists all of our games and all of our goals," Steelers linebacker James Farrior said. "When we were 7-5, coach Cowher took everything down and only put up the team we were playing. He showed us the type of attitude we had to have to focus on one game at a time. Guys responded to that. We had to stay positive. He said it wasn't over."

The Steelers had everything in place to make a Super Bowl run. Cowher has been a good enough coach to get the Steelers to a Super Bowl, but now he had a quarterback who could be a difference maker in big games. It's hard to win Super Bowls without a quarterback like Roethlisberger. And Pittsburgh's roster was filled with experienced players and great leaders.

"It starts with organization and it starts with ownership," center Jeff Hartings said. "This is one of the most stable if not the most stable team in NFL history. You also have to have high-character guys, and we have high-character guys on this team. If you evaluate the guys they draft on this team, it's unbelievable how good this team is for character guys. I'm one of the lone free agents they brought in here, so I can tell you how important it is to have character."

Seasons are long, and even the best teams face adversity. Maybe it's an injury. Maybe it's a slump. Maybe it's an off-the-field incident. In a four-month season, everything isn't going to go perfectly, so the leadership has to be in place in coaching and in the locker room to keep the team focused during the tough times.

The Steelers had all the elements in place. Cowher is a bright coach and is loaded with a great group of assistants. Since Chuck Noll turned around the losing ways of the Steelers in the 1970s, the Steelers emphasized building teams through the draft. The Rooney family never overpaid, but it kept a stable foundation. To think that the team has had only two coaches in four decades of football is incredible.

That type of stability and the team's history of success provided the model for assembling the right types of athletes and personalities to win.

"Offensively, the quarterback position has to be a good leader," Hartings said. "Even if the quarterback isn't vocal, he has to be a good leader because he affects everybody. Ben Roethlisberger is unbelievably mature as a player. Then you have to have guys like Alan Faneca and Hines Ward. Those guys go all-out in practice and in games."

When the Steelers were 7-5, they had supreme focus. Cowher said all the right things. Ward, Faneca, Hartings and others policed the locker room to make sure every player was focused on the week ahead.

"I think we've got a lot of guys who have been around the league for a while," Farrior said. "They understand the situation we are put into. When you get your backs against the wall, that's the time you need to step up. The veteran guys on this team do a good job of portraying that message. Coach Cowher does a good job. Guys don't do a lot of finger-pointing."

That's where Cowher helps. A former NFL player, he knows the mind-set of players in the locker room during the good times and the bad times. Players believe in him because he's consistent.

When the Steelers were 7-5 last season, Cowher did his best coaching, and because he had veteran players and great character in his locker room, the players understood the message.

"Coach Cowher has played the game, and he's a great leader," Hartings said. "He doesn't overreact, and he doesn't let us overreact about good things or bad things. Every guy in the locker room has a great deal of respect for him. He doesn't say things that are totally out there to get an effect from the team. When we were 7-5, he told us to evaluate ourselves because we weren't playing as well as we thought."

Because of the character within Cowher's locker room, the veterans looked at their performances and agreed. They had to pick up their games. On the verge of being eliminated from the playoff race, the margin for error was slim. Then the Steelers went on their roll and won the Super Bowl.

These types of stories underscore how hard it is to crack the elite group of franchises that own a Lombardi Trophy. It also shows why teams can repeat. If a team has players with the character to win one, they know what it takes to win another. Bill Belichick assembled the right group of players to win it three times in New England. From Bill Walsh to Noll to Lombardi to Jimmy Johnson to Joe Gibbs to Bill Parcells, they know the types of players and the type of leadership needed to win multiple Super Bowls.

"Defensively and offensively, you have to have the type of leaders who work hard and [who] don't want to let them down as players," Hartings said. "Offensively, you need to be calm and under control. Defensively, you need to be kind of wild, loud and enthusiastic, and we have those type of loud guys on defense."

Without those kinds of leaders and that type of character, it's easy to see why so many teams come up short. The Super Bowl club is about as elite as it gets in sports.

Fool
08-29-2006, 11:51 AM
This should be swatted.

Glenn
08-29-2006, 11:56 AM
This should be swatted.

Why? Given time, this thread will thrive.

Anyhoo, back on topic, looks like Duce Staley may be cut by the weekend.

http://kdka.com/topstories/local_story_241085733.html

Coach Cowher Could Comment On Cuts

(KDKA/AP) PITTSBURGH Steelers Coach Bill Cowher hasn't said much about whether Duce Staley's job is in jeopardy so far, but he could comment on that and yesterday's cuts at a news conference this morning.

The Steelers released eight players on Monday – including four rookies, including Safety Zach Baker, Kicker Mark Brubaker, Offensive Tackle Nick Hagemann and Offensive Guard Grayling Love.

The team also released Fullback Doug Easlick, Center Kyle Andrews, Linebacker Malcolm Postell and Wide Receiver Isaac West to bring the roster down to 75 players.

NFL teams must trim their rosters to 53 by Saturday.

As for whether or not Staley will be among the cuts in the days ahead, Cowher told reporters yesterday, "I'm not ready to sit here and say that he isn't or he is. The bottom line is that we have some tough decisions coming Thursday."

Cowher went on to add, "I like the experience that he brings and what he's done. He's gotten better each week."

While Staley was on pace a couple of years ago for one of the best seasons by a Steelers running back, the former starter has looked slow during training camp and the team's first preseason games with only 46 yards on 23 carries.

The Steelers kick off their final game of the preseason on Thursday night at Heinz Field against the Carolina Panthers.

Coach Cowher will hold his pre-game news conference at 11am at the UPMC Sports Performance Complex on the Southside.

Hermy
08-29-2006, 11:59 AM
what the fuck pittsburgh.

Glenn
08-29-2006, 12:02 PM
This is the NFL forum, right?

I would say that discussions about the Super Bowl Champions would be more than fitting.

Thanks for patronizing this thread and adding to its legacy.

Back on topic, does anybody think Cowher will actually retire after the season?

bangpow
08-29-2006, 01:03 PM
I dont' think Cowher will retire after this season. I think he needs to win another Super Bowl before he retires.

Now, what I do believe, though, is that this will be Joey Porters last season in a Steeler uniform. As it should be.

Glenn
08-29-2006, 01:34 PM
Now, what I do believe, though, is that this will be Joey Porters last season in a Steeler uniform. As it should be.

Bang, do you say this because of his play, his salary or his mouth?

bangpow
08-29-2006, 02:36 PM
I have to apologize, I thought his contract was up after this season, he's got one more year after this year.

However..

It has nothing to do with his mouth. It has everything to do with his production and the Steelers past history.

The Steelers are a LB factory. They've had no problem letting more productive guys like Jason Gildon and Gregg Lloyd go only to have some younger player step up in their place.

Heck, look at Kendrell Bell. They had no problem letting him go and Larry Foote came in and played as well as he ever did....when he was healthy.

I believe Porter is a bit overrated. I really think the Steelers will have someone waiting in the wings by the time Porters contract is up after next season.l

Glenn
08-31-2006, 08:24 AM
I'm not sure if Fast Willie is a Super Bowl calibre running back or not, but he's all we've got.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2566555

Steelers' Parker cashes in with new four-year deal

By John Clayton
ESPN.com

The Steelers rewarded starting halfback Willie Parker Thursday with a four-year, $13.6 million extension that included $3.75 million to sign.

In new money, the Parker deal is considered a three-year extension that totals $13.2 million and has him signed through 2009. He receives a $3.75 million signing bonus and keeps his $425,000 base salary. The Steelers can look it as a four-year deal worth $13.6 million while Parker looks at it as a three-year deal worth $13.2 million.

Parker was one of the great stories in 2005. An undrafted halfback out of North Carolina, Parker won the starting job and helped the Steelers win their fifth Super Bowl ring as an organization. The 5-foot-10, 209-pound Parker rushed for 1,202 yards on 255 carries and four touchdowns.

He was the Steelers' big play back and teamed up with Jerome Bettis in 2005 to give the Steelers a great one-two punch.

Bettis has since retired, and the Steelers are counting on Duce Staley to be team's big back. The Steelers are considering expanding Parker's role and maybe using him a little on third downs. Verron Haynes is the team's third down back, but Parker can give the Steelers some big-play run ability in passing situations.

Parker was an exclusive rights free agent with a salary of $425,000. He signed the one-year contract before the start of training camp with the hopes that the Steelers would reward him with long-term security.

bangpow
08-31-2006, 09:01 AM
I think Parker already proved that he can handle the load. My only gripe about him is that he's not the best at catching passes.

Fool
08-31-2006, 10:08 AM
How do two Steeler fans justify their own thread? Can't you pillow-bitters just IM this crap to each other?

Glenn: "Big Ben has my heart"
Bangpow: "Willie Parker is sooo cute ... mmm ... mwa!"
Glenn: "Screw Randle El! Cower doesn't need a slot reciever, he's a genius!!111!!ONE!!"
Banpow: "Don't you just love how cold steel gets in the winter..."
Glenn:"Mmmmhmmmmmm"

bangpow
08-31-2006, 10:18 AM
How do two Steeler fans justify their own thread? Can't you pillow-bitters just IM this crap to each other?

Glenn: "Big Ben has my heart"
Bangpow: "Willie Parker is sooo cute ... mmm ... mwa!"
Glenn: "Screw Randle El! Cower doesn't need a slot reciever, he's a genius!!111!!ONE!!"
Banpow: "Don't you just love how cold steel gets in the winter..."
Glenn:"Mmmmhmmmmmm"

Now, now. The Steelers are everything the Lions and their fans want their own team to be. From ownership all the way down to the practice squad.

See, the Lions aren't going to a Super Bowl anytime soon, so they got the next best thing this past January....a team to adopt and call their own.

I think Lions fans should be more appreciative of the Black 'n Gold!

;)

Also, I'm fine with ARE leaving Pittsburgh. He doesn't deserve the amount of cash he's getting.

Glenn
08-31-2006, 11:01 AM
JS & Gecko are Steelers fans as well, and I'm sure there are more of us.

Why are you so concerned about this Fool? lol

If Gutz wants a Raider fan thread, that's fine too.

MoTown
08-31-2006, 03:29 PM
Can we change the name of this thread to "bangpow and Glenn talk Steelers because no one else cares due to the fact they are masochists and cheer for a team that has the audacity to wear Honolulu Blue and a have a man that has an IQ rivaling that of a 6 year old Downs-Syndrome kid running the team"?

Or you could just keep it I guess.

bangpow
09-01-2006, 01:08 PM
Well, it would probably be a good thing to talk in depth about a true NFL franchise on here.

Fool
09-01-2006, 01:13 PM
That's fine. Just not the Steelers. The number of Pittsburgh fans in Michigan all of a sudden is sickening.

Glenn
09-01-2006, 02:03 PM
And we're keeping it all in one thread that you never have to open.

Fool
09-01-2006, 02:13 PM
Yeah, I'm just giving you a hard time. Your team is the champ, I'm sure you'll survive.

bangpow
09-01-2006, 02:28 PM
That's fine. Just not the Steelers. The number of Pittsburgh fans in Michigan all of a sudden is sickening.

Yeah, I hear you there, but that usually comes with the territory of winning the Super Bowl. All the bandwagon fans.

On the other hand, I was being serious about how the Steelers are the type of team that the Lions wish they had from the ownership on down.

Detroit needs a blue collar football team and they've been dealt nothing but hot, steamy shit for the last 50 years.

Oh, I'm not sure if I mentioned it on here or not, but my entire family is from the Pittsburgh are. My parents were from there and my grandparents, aunts and uncles, etc. are there. My brothers and I were born here in Detroit, but the roots are from Western PA.

Glenn
09-05-2006, 01:27 PM
The Steelers and Detroit sports have crossed paths yet again.

Chaz Batch to start Thursday night at QB for the Steelers.

Ugh.

Get him in your fantasy lineup ASAP (jk).

bangpow
09-05-2006, 01:59 PM
You know, Chaz isn't that bad on the Steelers. He played decent last year when he was called on. It's a huge blow to the Steelers that Robanger isn't able to go and Hines might not play, but it's not like Maddox is on the team anymore.

I do, however, think the Dolphins will win, but it's only week 1.

Glenn
09-05-2006, 02:11 PM
It's a huge blow to the Steelers that Robanger isn't able to go and Hines might not play, but it's not like Maddox is on the team anymore.

Bang, any word on who they might sign to play #2 QB? They took a big risk only carrying two and then Ben went down. I read over the weekend that Maddox is a possibility, as is Brian St. Pierre (both former Steeler QBs).

I guess Bubby isn't available.

EDIT: Nevermind, they signed St. Pierre.
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06248/719128-66.stm

bangpow
09-05-2006, 02:16 PM
I guess Bubby isn't available.

LOL

Well, I'm glad they picked St. Pierre over Tommy Gun. However, Omar Jacobs looked pretty good in the last pre-season game. I think St. Pierre is the better choice, though.

Glenn
09-07-2006, 03:07 PM
Since this is the first game at home since the Steelers won the Super Bowl, they're saying that the crowd is just going to be insane. Some are calling it a "mini Super Bowl" atmosphere. They've had all day to drink, too.

It will be nice to see some real football tonight, I hope the D can carry them to a win. Culpepper probably couldn't have drawn a worse first opponent. I hope he meets Troy Polamalu up close and personal.

bangpow
09-07-2006, 05:40 PM
Yeah, I can only imagine what the scene is like around Heinz field right now. I wish I was there.

Also, I have to wait until the end of the month to get my Polamalu jersey.

Glenn
09-08-2006, 10:53 AM
That was a great game, but what the fuck was up with that pregame show?

I'm not a jersey wearer for the most part (I only have one football jersey, UM Anthony Thomas) but if I ever bought one, Polamalu would be the one.

If he stays healthy, I could see him getting some MVP consideration. The dude is just everywhere, especially in crunch time.

Bang, your boy Joey Porter looked pretty good last night as well.

Also, I hate Nick Saban and found his little hanky escapade hilarious (albeit nerve-racking since I have Heath Miller on one of my two fantasy teams).

Glenn
09-09-2006, 10:27 AM
Great signing.

Maybe he'll shit in one of the Cowher daughter's closets?

But seriously, it's a great signing.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=steelersdavenport&prov=st&type=lgns

Steelers sign RB Davenport to one-year contract

PITTSBURGH (Ticker) - The defending Super Bowl champion Pittsburgh Steelers may have found a replacement for Jerome Bettis.

The Steelers on Friday signed running back Najeh Davenport to a one-year contract. Financial terms were not disclosed.

Davenport, 27, spent his first four seasons with the Green Bay Packers, collecting 1,068 yards and seven touchdowns in 39 career games. He ran for 105 yards and two TDs last year before suffering a season-ending ankle injury in early October.

To make room for Davenport on the roster, the Steelers released rookie running back Patrick Cobbs, who was claimed off waivers from the New England Patriots a week ago.

The 247-pound Davenport figures to serve as a replacement for Bettis, who retired last February after ending his illustrious 13-year career by helping Pittsburgh to its fifth Super Bowl victory.

Nicknamed "The Bus" for his bruising running style, Bettis served primarily as a short-yardage back in the latter stages of his career and ran for 22 TDs over the last two campaigns. Last season, Bettis helped form a devastating power-speed combination with Willie Parker, who paced the team with 1,202 rushing yards.

The Steelers apparently feel that Davenport is an upgrade over veterans Verron Haynes and Duce Staley, whom the club had hoped to platoon in short-yardage and goal-line situations this year.

Despite a 28-17 season-opening home victory over Miami on Thursday, Pittsburgh shied away from running the ball in short-yardage instances.

After earning a reputation for their smash-mouth style with Bettis, the Steelers ran the ball just once in their four third-down plays where they needed three yards or less for a first down. Parker rushed for 115 yards but was thwarted on a key 3rd-and-2 late in the fourth quarter.

bangpow
09-09-2006, 01:16 PM
Yeah, I like the signing of Najeh a whole lot. Verron Haynes just never seemed to ever be able to be the pounding back he should be.

Also, Joey Porter....yeah, he had a great game. If he can keep this up throughout the whole season, I won't call him overrated anymore. ;)

My Polamalu jersey is coming at the end of the month from my wife for my birthday. I retired my Bettis jersey.

Glenn
09-27-2006, 04:04 PM
Since the team is playing like shit, thought I'd share this.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060921/ap_on_fe_st/roaming_gnome

Man's lost gnome attends Steelers game

Thu Sep 21, 4:34 PM ET

MORGANTOWN, W.Va. - Allen Snyder's garden gnome is apparently out of jail and now traveling the country. The 14-inch tall red-and-white statue disappeared from Snyder's Morgantown yard in the spring, and Snyder has since received three letters claiming to have been written by "Gnomey."

The latest letter, which Snyder received this week, included photos of the gnome in the company of Steelers fans attending Pittsburgh's football home opener.

"You never took me to any games," the note said. The letter ended: "Have to go now. Boarding a plane. Now, finally, broadening my travels."

An earlier letter included a request for bail money and included what appeared to be booking photos of Gnomey and another of the gnome in the back seat of a police car.

Snyder has no idea who's pulling this prank but said his short list of suspects includes several gag-loving friends.

The plight of his gnome has gotten a lot of attention. Snyder says people are always asking if he's heard from Gnomey.

"I never thought it would go this far," he said.

The story has even caught the attention of officials at Travelocity, which uses a roaming gnome in the online travel agency's advertising.

"While we know that your dear friend, Gnomey, can never be replaced, we're sending the enclosed Roaming Gnome to keep you company in his absence," wrote Michelle Peluso, president and chief executive officer of Travelocity, based in Southlake, Texas. "Hopefully your friend will find his way out of trouble and back to your front yard soon, although we can't help but admire his sense of adventure and love of travel."

MOLA1
09-30-2006, 12:52 AM
Bangpow and Barbaro are the Shugadaddi and Fraserburn of this thread.

I would've swatted this shit a long time ago, our Lions suck so carry on.
Plus, Gutz and Anthony have their Raider shit going as well so it's only fair.

bangpow
10-02-2006, 02:55 PM
The Steelers are not looking good this year, but I'm not worried. They tend to start off slow and pick things up as the season rolls along. Plus, this isn't the Lions we're talking about, this is a legit NFL team that knows how to play 16 games a season.

Glenn
10-12-2006, 03:00 PM
Almost a "must win" this week vs. KC. Just a huge difference between 2-3 and 1-4. If they go 1-4, they'd basically have to finish up 8-3 at worst to make the playoffs, probably 9-2.

Also, they just brought back one of my old favorites, not sure how much he has left but...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2622815

Steelers reach into past, sign LB Brown

By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

Desperately thin at linebacker because of injuries, the slumping Pittsburgh Steelers made a desperation move Thursday, reaching back to their past and signing veteran free agent linebacker Chad Brown to help address their perilous shortage.

Contract details were not immediately available, but is believed that Brown signed a one-year contract for a minimum base salary of $810,000, prorated over the number of games in which he is on the roster.

To create a roster spot, Pittsburgh released third-year tight end Tim Euhus. This will mark Brown's second stint in Pittsburgh, where he played the first four seasons of his career, 1993-96.

Even with the shortage at linebacker, precipitated by injuries to starter Joey Porter and top backup James Harrison, the move was somewhat surprising. Brown, 36, was released by New England on Sept. 1, and is viewed around the league as a player who has been in decline for the past few seasons now.

In 15 games with the Patriots in 2005, Brown registered 39 tackles, but did not have a sack, a pass defensed, a forced fumble or fumble recovery. He lost his starting job with New England about a month into the '05 season, and most observers were surprised when the Patriots re-signed Brown this spring and brought him to training camp.

One plus is that Brown, even after a decade away from the Steelers, still knows the basics of the defensive scheme. He began his career under coach Bill Cowher and, while Pittsburgh has had several coordinators in Brown's time away, the fundamentals of the 3-4 defense haven't changed much at all.

What has changed, though, is Brown. Certainly, at this point in his career, the Steelers aren't getting a player who is even close to the standout defender who left the club in 1997 to sign a lucrative contract with the Seattle Seahawks as an unrestricted free agent. Brown had seven sacks in 2003, but has just once since, and the three-time Pro Bowl performer has lost much of his pass-rush quickness.

The injuries to Porter and Harrison, however, left Steelers personnel officials scrambling. Porter suffered a strained hamstring in practice on Tuesday and is listed as "questionable" for Sunday's home game against the Kansas City Chiefs. Harrison, an excellent backup who has always played well when forced into the lineup by injuries, sustained a high ankle sprain in last Sunday night's loss at San Diego, and is expected to miss several weeks of action.

Brown was a second-round pick of the Steelers in 1993 and played four seasons with the team, notching 30 sacks in that stretch and earning one Pro Bowl berth. He then spent eight seasons, including two Pro Bowl years in Seattle, before the Seahawks released him after the 2004 campaign.

In 178 appearances, Brown has 1,068 tackles, 78 sacks, six interceptions, 41 passes defensed, 19 forced fumbles and 15 recoveries.

bangpow
10-12-2006, 04:39 PM
Yeah, Chad Brown. Um, I will withold comment on that one as I don't know what to think of it.

theMUHMEshow
10-13-2006, 11:52 PM
Deangelo Hall > Steelers

Glenn
10-16-2006, 07:47 AM
Deangelo Hall > Steelers

Um, what does that have to do with anything?

mouse > spaghetti

bangpow
10-16-2006, 03:00 PM
It appears that Robanger is definitely getting his health back and the Steelers are now only 1 game out of the division lead.

I think they can pull off a nice little victory against the Falcons. I mean, all you have to do is stop the run because Vick can't throw worth a shit.

DennyMcLain
10-22-2006, 07:56 PM
It appears that Robanger is definitely getting his health back and the Steelers are now only 1 game out of the division lead.

JINXED!!!!!

bangpow
10-23-2006, 12:33 AM
That's fine. Homeboy is having a rough season, that's for sure. However, the Steelers never do things the easy way and they tend to start off slow. They should win the next two games, though, and be back on track...even if Batch plays.

I mean, Batch has proven himself to be able to run the Steelers offense if need be.

Black Dynamite
10-30-2006, 09:14 AM
...Welcome to Raider Ownageville. Please Step away from your High Horse and enjoy the party.

http://images.sportsline.com/u/photos/football/nfl/img9764011.jpg

http://images.sportsline.com/u/photos/football/nfl/img9764020.jpg
Cowher:ME, YOU GUYS OWNED ME???!!!!
Yes you Bill, you got owned my friend.

http://espn-i.starwave.com/media/apphoto/c40c5905-68f8-419b-9402-4eb5f64ab42d.jpg
Don't be so hurt guys. We just got lucky. :tongue2:

http://espn-i.starwave.com/media/apphoto/6bdc0fad-da8b-48ac-a467-1cca54e405af.jpg
Even Jerry Porter was invited to the Party, But why did Joey Porter leave early?:huh:

http://espn-i.starwave.com/media/apphoto/1d627eeb-a9be-45a3-af87-0765f376b8ce.jpg
Ref:Ownage happens to everybody Bill, so please sit your ass down and enjoy the festivities.
Bill:*pouts* you can't make me!

http://espn-i.starwave.com/media/apphoto/f77c5ddf-71d0-4d82-a624-ebeee7c4f33a.jpg
We even have party games like twister, how could you not enjoy Ownageville?

PS:too much history in these teams for me not to pick on your guys. enjoy the week and please beat denver.:thumbsup:

bangpow
10-30-2006, 09:16 AM
Piss poor showing by the Black 'n Gold yesterday. There was no excuse to lose that manure pile called the Raiders.

Black Dynamite
10-30-2006, 09:30 AM
Piss poor showing by the Black 'n Gold yesterday. There was no excuse to lose that manure pile called the Raiders.
you are a true steeler fan and your response reflects the high horse our defense pushed you off of :)...This game is some decent bragging rights in a rebuilding year for us. Bout time to respect that raider defense though. Rob Ryan had your offense read like a book, i think we stole whisehunts playbook when he came out here for an interview. very good espionage[smilie=burgerking.: [smilie=paca.gif] :thumbsup:

WTFchris
10-30-2006, 09:37 AM
It's official, the Lions are the worst team in football. After the Falcons game we should be able to wrap up the #1 pick by losing to SF, Arizona and Miami consecutively.

UxKa
10-30-2006, 11:34 AM
Its pretty tough to lose to a team that didn't even gain 100 yards. Ben isnt the same, I predict that in 5 years all will be saying he ruined his career with the bike.

bangpow
10-30-2006, 12:23 PM
you are a true steeler fan and your response reflects the high horse our defense pushed you off of :)...This game is some decent bragging rights in a rebuilding year for us. Bout time to respect that raider defense though. Rob Ryan had your offense read like a book, i think we stole whisehunts playbook when he came out here for an interview. very good espionage[smilie=burgerking.: [smilie=paca.gif] :thumbsup:

Actually, I respect the Raiders defense. In fact, I even mentioned at Teroma on Sunday. Now the Steelers D yesterday, on the other hand, was pitiful.

Black Dynamite
10-30-2006, 12:28 PM
you held us to 98 yards total offense. you held your own. you didnt confuse us, just dominated us. we were good because of confusion we caused in our disguises.

bangpow
10-30-2006, 12:30 PM
you held us to 98 yards total offense. you held your own. you didnt confuse us, just dominated us. we were good because of confusion we caused in our disguises.

It's not hard to score when you're starting at the opponents 20 yard line! Which cause some skewed offensive numbers for the Raiders.

Black Dynamite
10-30-2006, 01:13 PM
It's not hard to score when you're starting at the opponents 20 yard line! Which cause some skewed offensive numbers for the Raiders.
what are you talking about? our defense scored more points our offense and just as many as yours. our offense was atrocious and never much of a threat to pittsburgh.

you're being hard on them. but they played solid. your offense was the eye sore.

bangpow
10-30-2006, 02:11 PM
Alright, the Steelers D was good, but they just couldn't get out of that early 14-0 hole.

Glenn
10-31-2006, 09:48 AM
Maybe we need a "Who will win more games, the Steelers or the Raiders?" thread.

Never thought I'd say that.

Disgusting.

bangpow
10-31-2006, 09:53 AM
The Steelers will rebound at some point this season.

Glenn
10-31-2006, 10:04 AM
The Steelers will rebound at some point this season.

I agree, but it will be too late to matter.

bangpow
10-31-2006, 10:05 AM
I agree, but it will be too late to matter.

That could be true. They can't throw any more games away like they did on Sunday.

bangpow
11-06-2006, 09:15 AM
That could be true. They can't throw any more games away like they did on Sunday.

....like yesterday, too!

DennyMcLain
11-06-2006, 10:40 AM
Is this the Steeler "fan" thread, as in "person fan"?

Or, is it fan as in "whiff"?

Glenn
11-06-2006, 12:16 PM
I wonder if Cowher is going to bail?

Fool
11-06-2006, 12:25 PM
http://wtfdetroit.com/forums/showpost.php?p=140254&postcount=4

Glenn
11-22-2006, 12:58 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2672146

Cowher doesn't plan to wear suit on sidelines

ESPN.com news services

PITTSBURGH -- There's one member of the Pittsburgh Steelers who will dress for Sunday's game in Baltimore, but won't suit up, so to speak.

Coach Bill Cowher says he has no plans to wear a suit on the sidelines, even though San Francisco 49ers coach Mike Nolan wore a suit Sunday and Jacksonville Jaguars coach Jack Del Rio wore a suit Monday night in the Jaguars' win over the New York Giants.

"Not me," Cowher told reportrers Tuesday. "I don't even wear one to church."

The NFL tightly controls what coaches wear because they want only league-licensed apparel. Nolan and Del Rio had to get special permission to wear specially made suits by Reebok -- an NFL sponsor.

Cowher doesn't plan to join them, saying "I just wear what they put in my locker."

Hall of Fame coaches Tom Landry, Vince Lombardi and George Halas all wore suits on the sidelines.

Glenn
11-28-2006, 08:29 AM
A terrible year might just get worse.

My moles are telling me (Rob Parker sold me a few he wasn't using) that Bill Cowher is a serious candidate to take over the NC State program, which now has a vacancy.

Cowher recently (before the season) bought a house in the Carolinas and moved his family there from Pittsburgh. Cowher is a NC St. alum, and was captain of the football team when he played there.

Possible replacements for the Steelers? My early thoughts went to Ken Whisenhunt, Mike Mularkey, Dick LeBeau or maybe even Jeff Fisher (Tennesee has a $5 million option on him that they need to exercise by 12/31/06).

At this point, I'd really be surprised if Cowher is back next year.

Jethro34
12-01-2006, 08:26 AM
That would be great news for NC State, since he would likely be able to build that program to a powerhouse.
As for the Steelers, while I'm not a fan it just wouldn't seem like Sunday without seeing Cowher in Black and Yellow.

bangpow
12-04-2006, 02:29 PM
A terrible year might just get worse.

My moles are telling me (Rob Parker sold me a few he wasn't using) that Bill Cowher is a serious candidate to take over the NC State program, which now has a vacancy.

Cowher recently (before the season) bought a house in the Carolinas and moved his family there from Pittsburgh. Cowher is a NC St. alum, and was captain of the football team when he played there.

Possible replacements for the Steelers? My early thoughts went to Ken Whisenhunt, Mike Mularkey, Dick LeBeau or maybe even Jeff Fisher (Tennesee has a $5 million option on him that they need to exercise by 12/31/06).

At this point, I'd really be surprised if Cowher is back next year.

I think Cowher will be back next year. I don't think he would leave the team in this shape. As far as replacements to, I don't want an offensive guy running the team and Lebeau is too old. Fisher would be an interesting pick up. I haven't really been that big of a fan of his until last year. His team has been severely depleted over the last couple seasons, but they always play hard and always compete. I'm starting to really like him and his push broom 'stache.

Glenn
12-27-2006, 01:18 PM
Uh oh

Cowher will announce his plans after the Steelers/Bengals game.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2708797

bangpow
12-31-2006, 04:58 PM
Bengals fans can sit the F down now! Your team just took and dump and will be watching the playoffs from home.

Glenn
01-05-2007, 08:53 AM
Good god I hope they go with Whisenhunt and not Grimm.

Grimm is a big old boob.

I would hate having Grimm as the coach of my favorite team, HATE IT!!

Hell, the Lions didn't even want him.

bangpow
01-06-2007, 02:32 PM
Yeah, I don't want any part of Grimm as the HC. I was really hoping the Titans would've done something stupid and not re-sign Fisher, but that didn't happen.

I would take Whisenhunt, though. At first I was for an offensive coach running the squad, but Whisenhunt is a "Steelers" kind of coach, so it doesn't matter.

Hermy
01-06-2007, 02:33 PM
It's 2007.

bangpow
01-06-2007, 02:40 PM
It's still considered the "2006 Season".

Hermy
01-06-2007, 04:44 PM
Steelers season is over.

Glenn
01-06-2007, 06:06 PM
Steelers season is over.
^ Lions fan.

WTFchris
01-08-2007, 10:13 AM
The Lions season is never over...because it never starts. Lions seasons are just one big long losing season with breaks now and then.

Glenn
01-15-2007, 10:04 AM
Damn, Arizona hired Whisenhunt.

I sure hope the Steelers go outside the organization now.

Ron Rivera looks like the best option to me right now.

When the Steelers get back to work on Tuesday, they will interview Mike Sherman. He is an assistant head coach for the Houston Texans and former head coach of the Green Bay Packers.

Sherman began his coaching career in 1981 as a part-time coach at Pitt.

There are four other candidates still vying for the Steelers job.

They are Steelers offensive line coach Russ Grimm, Chicago’s Ron Rivera, Minnesota's Mike Tomlin and Georgia Tech's Chan Gailey.

The Steelers are just one of three NFL teams looking for a head coach. The other two are the Dolphins and the Raiders.

Grimm is reportedly not a candidate in either Miami or Oakland.

Black Dynamite
01-15-2007, 10:07 AM
Whisenhunt and grimm got no vote of confidence from Cower. He instead endorsed Chan Gailey I heard... Glenn I hope you enjoyed your stank ass run. Because the post Bettis era is looking iffy.

Glenn
01-15-2007, 10:10 AM
Glenn I hope you enjoyed your stank ass run. Because the post Bettis era is looking iffy.

Well that 5th Super Bowl was nice, that will just have to tide me over for a decade or so.

Zekyl
01-15-2007, 02:38 PM
Yeah, well, when you're busy sitting around waiting for your next super bowl run, we'll have the awesome privilege of guessing which top-10 talent the Lions will be drafting every year.

Glenn
01-22-2007, 11:28 AM
I don't know much about Mike Tomlin other than he's the same age that Cowher was (34) and has the same qualifications that Cowher did (DC) when they hired him.

And he's African American.

And he's not Russ Grimm.

That's the biggest +

Glenn
03-20-2007, 02:42 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2805395

Tomlin meets with Steelers as workouts begin
ESPN.com news services

New Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin wasn't talking about his first meeting with his players.

But wide receiver Cedrick Wilson told Pittsburgh-area media that Tomlin "laid down the law" as the Steelers began their offseason workout program.

Pittsburgh-area outlets reported that about 85 percent of the roster showed up for the first day of workouts. But only Wilson spoke with the media about Tomlin's meeting with his team. A Steelers spokesman said Tomlin did not want to make a big deal out of the meeting by speaking publicly about it.

Wilson said Tomlin stressed the importance of working out with the team, rather than at home or elsewhere.

According to Wilson, Tomlin said "You can go train in Orlando or you can go train in Arizona where it's a nice climate, whatever, but you can't get out of those places what you can get here and that's football."

Also present in Pittsburgh was quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, who is coming off a disappointing, injury-filled season.

"He made it clear, he is here right now. That's a statement itself," Wilson said.

"I think the goal is for the receivers and the quarterback to work a ton. Our third-down efficiency was pretty good last year, but it wasn't as good as it was the year we won the Super Bowl," Wilson said. "That's where we're going to have to get it up. If you want to win a championship you have to be darn good on third down. This time right now we can lay a platform for the upcoming season."

bangpow
03-21-2007, 02:02 PM
I've really been impressed by Tomlin ever since they hired him. I really liked his press conference and just how straight up he is about things. I think it was smart of him to retain Lebeau and stick with the defensive scheme that they've got the personnel for, for the time being.

I like, that he's young and I also like the fact that the bought a house within the city. The guy really seems to have that Pittsburgh attitude/personality and I think he was a good hire for the team. It seems the only people complaining about him are the Steelers proverbial whiners, Faneca and Ward. It really pains me to say that about Ward, but damn, man. He needs to get over the fact that the overrated Joey Porter is gone and Bettis retired and step the fuck up and be the new leader of the team.

Plus, that defense is now Polamalu's defense, he's the one that makes it go, not Porter.

Faneca just whines about everything, but I do like the fact that he's unsure about Tomlin. This was the same guy that bitched about Robanger being the starter his rookie year.

bangpow
03-21-2007, 02:18 PM
And Faneca is still in bitch mode, skipping the voluntary workouts.

http://post-gazette.com/pg/07080/771176-66.stm

Faneca skips voluntary workouts
All-Pro guard could be angling for a new deal

Wednesday, March 21, 2007
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Alan Faneca -- Holding out?

They're voluntary workouts and, while most of the Steelers have attended the first two days under new coach Mike Tomlin's direction, one missing player has drawn the most attention.

All-Pro guard Alan Faneca, an offensive co-captain, has not attended the workouts that began Monday and have drawn all but a few players. Under normal circumstances, it might not even be noted, but Faneca publicly questioned the Steelers' decision to bypass his line coach, Russ Grimm, for the job that Tomlin ultimately got.

Also, negotiations to extend Faneca's contract, which has one year left, have gone nowhere. All that, combined with the cryptic response by his agent yesterday, could add up to why Faneca has not yet attended, or even if he plans to.

Agent Rick Smith said yesterday that he would not comment about Faneca at any time, now or in the future, and that any comments would have to come from "Rooney or Kevin Colbert."

Faneca will earn $4,375,000 this year, including $1 million paid him this month in a roster bonus. But Faneca, who has made the past six Pro Bowls, no doubt has noticed the whopping contracts that other guards -- without his credentials -- have been getting recently.

Eric Steinbach left the Cincinnati Bengals to sign a seven-year, $49 million contract with the Cleveland Browns. Derrick Dockery left the Washington Redskins for the Buffalo Bills for the same kind of deal, including $18.5 million guaranteed. Neither has made the Pro Bowl.

Tomlin said he talked to Faneca and was satisfied with his reason for not attending the workouts.

"Everyone that was not here called in and gave legitimate reasons why, but, at the same time, this is voluntary," Tomlin said. "It's about guys individually getting better. One thing that the guys do respect is when you do show up and you work together, you build a little chemistry and camaraderie. And that's what it's about. Everybody just wants to know that everybody else that has a stake in it is doing everything they can to get better."

Also, Roethlisberger said that he doesn't blame is bad year last year on the accident and didn't like the fact that Whisenhunt made excuses for him. The interesting part about this article is the fact that he pointed out that there was a few things he didn't agree with Whisenhunt on. I wonder if there was something more going on with that?

Big Ben stands tall, has no alibi for off year
Quarterback doesn't offer excuses for his off season

Wednesday, March 21, 2007
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

It was not the motorcycle accident, nor the appendectomy, nor the concussion. Ben Roethlisberger yesterday took issue with the excuses his former offensive coordinator provided for him recently, but said nothing was to blame for his poor 2006 season other than his play.

"You know what? I might have still had the same year," if there had been no trauma, Roethlisberger said. "Who knows? I'm not going to look back and say, wow, this is what caused this and this is what caused that. There's no need for that. It's a bad year. It's going to happen. That's just the way it goes."

Former Steelers coordinator Ken Whisenhunt, now the head coach of the Arizona Cardinals, said last month that, in retrospect, he thought Roethlisberger may have been brought back too soon after his traumas of last year and that it may have caused the quarterback to be gun-shy in the pocket.

Roethlisberger sharply disagreed.

"No, I don't agree with Whis. There were a lot of things I didn't agree with Whis about, and that's another one.

"Coach Cowher always came to me and asked me how I felt, and I was always 100 percent honest with him. I was always honest with the doctors. Everybody knows that Pittsburgh has some of the best doctors in the country -- look at my face for instance," he said, laughing. "We have an unbelievable medical staff. They cleared me and, if they gave me clearance, we never hushed anything.

"No, I don't think anything was rushed. I think I just didn't play well. I had a bad year. I'm sure Whis had a bad year once in his career."

Roethlisberger threw 18 touchdown passes and 23 interceptions last season, had a 75.4 passer rating and a 7-8 record in his third year as a starter. He was 27-4 as a starter in his first two seasons, counting playoffs, with a 98.3 overall passer rating and a Super Bowl victory under his belt.

He has been able to put last season into perspective, he said, with the help of two Hall of Fame quarterbacks from Western Pennsylvania -- Dan Marino and Jim Kelly.

"Playing some golf and spending some time with them recently, they laugh because they're, like, 'Isn't it amazing that you have one bad year and everyone is down on you?' " Roethlisberger said. "I said, 'Yeah, it's pretty funny.' They said, 'Listen, you're going to have more than one bad year. Don't let it bother you. You had two great ones [and] one bad one, you'll be fine.'

"It feels good when people like that tell you that it's going to be OK, that you're going to have more than one bad year."

Roethlisberger attributes it more to his mental approach.

"I think that a lot of times, I got caught being a little too confident and knowing the offense too well and trying to force things a little too much. I wouldn't change a thing. I learned from it, it's a learning experience, and you know what, it's going to make me better."

Roethlisberger finds himself at another crossroads in his young career with a new head coach in Mike Tomlin, new offensive coordinator in Bruce Arians and new quarterbacks coach in Ken Anderson. He also has been presented with a new playbook that Arians streamlined and puts more on the quarterback's shoulders.

"It's going to be tough. It's going to take a lot of learning. That's why I've been going in and talking to B.A. and coach Anderson," Roethlisberger said as he completed his second day of workouts with his team.

Among the changes: The quarterback and not the center or guards will call the pass protections. Roethlisberger often could not hear his linemen and thus did not know what the protections were.

"[They're] letting me call a lot more of the stuff at the line," Roethlisberger said. "This year, it's going to be mostly just me. I'm going to tell them if I want them to move. I'm telling them to move, otherwise they don't do anything. It should be easier for us, for me, because I know what's going on and where they'll be blocking and who they're not blocking."

Roethlisberger did his homework on Anderson, too. He talked to Jacksonville quarterback Byron Leftwich about his former quarterbacks coach. He said he will miss his old quarterbacks coach, Mark Whipple, but understands the business of the NFL. He also said Tomlin has made a good impression.

"He's a lot of good things you want in a coach -- he has the energy, he has the excitement, he's a young guy," Roethlisberger said. "You can tell he has a fire, he has the players fired -- the enthusiasm, the energy -- and I think he's going to be a good coach. He has the passion."

Glenn
05-11-2007, 02:26 PM
The Steelers signed former Pitt star (and 49er/Jet) Kevan Barlow yesterday to a 1 year deal to back up Willie Parker.

And then there is this...

Seigler accused of running prostitution operation

ESPN.com news services

Former Steelers linebacker Richard Seigler was arrested Thursday on a warrant issued in Las Vegas on charges of running a prostitution operation there.

Seigler, who was released by the Steelers on Thursday after spending parts of the last two seasons on their practice squad, was arrested in Pittsburgh and booked into the Allegheny County Jail in Pittsburgh, according to Las Vegas television reports.

Citing Las Vegas police, the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reported Seigler is accused of operating a prostitution ring during the offseason with at least two women who escorted dates to casinos and hotels in Las Vegas. Prostitution is legal in some parts of Nevada but not in Las Vegas or surrounding areas. Such escorts, police told the newspaper typically charge between $200 and $1,000 for a date.

The 26-year-old Seigler, who attended high school in Las Vegas and played at Oregon State, faces three felony counts, including pandering and living off the earnings of a prostitute, and faces up to 10 years in prison if convicted.

Police said Seigler became a suspect when vice officers investigating a juvenile prostitution case discovered in December 2006 that he was acting as a pimp and started checking his activities. He allegedly tried to entice a girl to work as one of his hookers, and Metro Vice Sgt. Gil Shannon said police then learned other women were working as escorts for Seigler in Las Vegas.

Seigler was awaiting arraignment Thursday and eventual extradition to Nevada.

A fourth-round draft choice by San Francisco in 2004, Seigler played in seven games that season, making seven tackles. He was cut by Pittsburgh during training camp in 2006, but was added to the practice squad for the final two games of the '06 season.

VIMFM TDM
05-12-2007, 01:35 AM
I'm a Broncos fan and a Steeler hater..
The only team I hate more is Oakland..

But good luck I guess [smilie=llama_banan:

bangpow
05-12-2007, 07:12 PM
Man, Alan Faneca is such a bitch! He's still moaning and groaning about his damn contract. He's crying about how he's in the last year of his contract and doesn't have a new deal.

All this guy does anymore is cry. He cried about Robanger starting his rookie season, he cried about fat slob Grimm not getting the job, and now he's crying about his contract.

It's not like he's getting paid $900,000 a year, he's still making $4.4 million this year and since he doesn't have a new contract, I'm sure he will get more money after this season then he will right now.

Another thing that's bothering me is how Ward is crying about how the locker room has changed since Porter is gone. Well, Hines, shut the fuck up and step the fuck up!!

theMUHMEshow
05-12-2007, 11:14 PM
Eric Fowler...The Steelers next Pro Bowl WR lol

Black Dynamite
05-13-2007, 12:02 AM
I'm a Broncos fan and a Steeler hater..
The only team I hate more is Oakland..
And the Raider Nation isn't too fond of your Your beloved Dungver Donkeys.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a372/ddot313/elwayd7cl.jpg
Classic DM work.

theMUHMEshow
05-13-2007, 10:54 AM
And the Raider Nation isn't too fond of your Your beloved Dungver Donkeys.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a372/ddot313/elwayd7cl.jpg
Classic DM work.
...the Raiders still have a "nation"?

Tahoe
06-01-2007, 04:11 PM
LOL Steelers coach sends raunchy email to NFL headquarters and Goodell. LMAO

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6872202

Jethro34
06-01-2007, 11:56 PM
That's a pretty retarded mistake. Nobody wanted to hear about a 61 year old grandpa beating his pud and sharing with friends, but even if you have issues, somehow accidentally sending it to the league office instead of your Steelers co-worker? Nicely done. Enjoy a life that will never be the same.

Glenn
06-02-2007, 05:48 AM
Would have been a better story if he was driving naked at Wendy's whilst emailing the porn.

Tahoe
06-02-2007, 12:14 PM
I almost did something close. I had a link copied of some big boobed gal and pasted it to one of my buds and his wife. A little while later I was sending something to my cuz'n (super religious in Michigan, girl) and I thought I 'ctrl' 'C' the new link but it didn't take. So I pasted the old link (bad one) in the email. Right before I sent it I glanced at it and noticed it. I ALWAYS check now.

I don't care who you are, that Steeler coach thing is funny.

Timone
06-03-2007, 01:10 AM
Go Ravens, fuck all you model citizens.

Glenn
08-06-2007, 03:42 PM
1-0

alsoIdidn'tgettowatchthegamebecausechartercabledoe sn'toffertheNFLNetworkandIhaven'tswitchedtodirectt vyet

Glenn
12-17-2007, 01:23 PM
Wife takes lifelong Steelers fans' ashes to Heinz Field

Associated Press
Updated: December 17, 2007, 1:17 PM ET

PITTSBURGH -- Richard Desrosiers never made it to Heinz Field to watch his beloved Steelers play football, but his widow helped him fulfill his dream in death.

Thanks to some help from sympathetic donors, Kathleen Desrosiers attended Sunday's game, bringing an urn with some of her late husband's ashes, as well as his ring and two pictures of him. He had died in March of a brain tumor.

"I couldn't take the tumor away. I couldn't take the pain away. I couldn't make him better. But I can do this," Kathleen Desrosiers, 60, told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

Though he lived in Exeter, N.H., Richard Desrosiers adopted the Steelers at an early age and followed them closely. He named his dog Steeler and his wardrobe, by his widow's estimate, was 95 percent Steelers gear.

Braving the biting cold and the Steelers' disappointing 29-22 loss to the Jacksonville Jaguars, Desrosiers waved her new Terrible Towel, showed off her painted face and warmed her head with a Steelers hat.

She called it "an overwhelming experience."

"It's sad to think that he got here in death," she added. "But this is where he wanted to be. It was what he asked me to do. I got to be with him one last time while he did something he wanted more than anything else in the whole wide world."

Amy Litterini, a western Pennsylvania native who now lives in New Hampshire, was the couple's counselor during Desrosiers' yearlong battle with cancer. She arranged for the purchase of the two tickets to Sunday's game and raised money for Kathleen Desrosiers and one of her sons to spend a night in a Pittsburgh hotel.

Desrosiers was covered with a Steelers blanket when he died, and at his funeral, his two stepsons honored his memory by donning Steelers jerseys.

Glenn
12-28-2007, 10:31 AM
THE CHARLIE BATCH ERA IS UPON US

Zekyl
12-28-2007, 07:09 PM
They'd better not let him get hit. He's a solid quarterback until he gets drilled once, after years with the Lions the guy's been turned to glass.

Glenn
02-18-2008, 01:06 PM
This makes me not even want to watch the NFL next year.

:emo kid:

Stat of the Week

Has anyone out there looked at the Steelers' schedule for this fall? Schedules are organic things in terms of degree of difficulty; they tend to change week-by-week during the season. But looking at Pittsburgh's slate right now, we might be seeing the toughest schedule a team has had in recent history.

Tough As Steel
Records of 2008 Steeler Opponents
*Indianapolis (13-4)
*Jacksonville (12-6)
Houston (8-8)
*Tennessee (10-7)
*NY Giants (14-6)
*Washington (9-8)
*Dallas (13-4)
Philadelphia (8-8)
*San Diego (12-6)
*New England (18-1)

* - denotes '07 playoff team
Combined record - 117-58 (.669)

Lots of teams have division schedules as tough or tougher than six games with Cleveland, Cincinnati and Baltimore, though the rising Browns, Carson Palmer and the presumably rejuvenated Ravens will be a difficult six-pack.

Amazing. Horrendously amazing, if you bleed black and gold.

Schedule factoids:
• Eight of Pittsburgh's 10 non-AFC North games are against 2007 playoff teams.

• All 10 non-division foes were .500 or better in 2007.

• New England plays four games against teams that finished over .500 in the 2007 regular season. Pittsburgh plays 10.

• Excluding the Steelers in 2005, the last four Super Bowl champs (Giants, Colts, Pats, Pats) are on Pittsburgh's schedule.

The only two non-division games that they have against non-playoff teams are against two teams that were 8-8.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/peter_king/02/17/long/2.html

Zekyl
02-18-2008, 01:08 PM
Ouch. Really. That's just brutal.

Fool
02-18-2008, 01:20 PM
http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/2932486/2/istockphoto_2932486_fly_swatter_splat.jpg

Wilfredo Ledezma
02-19-2008, 04:47 PM
I went to Heinz Field for a game with my dad back in December, I'm not a Steelers fan at all, but I only wish we had a franchise, fan base, history, outdoor stadium, and solid players here in Detroit...

pipe dream...

WTFchris
02-19-2008, 05:46 PM
I think last year the Lions had one of the toughest schedules in football, even though they were the 2nd worst team in the league the year before. Their system is all jacked up, that is for sure.

MoTown
02-19-2008, 05:51 PM
Glenn. The NFL forum is not for Steeler fans. We don't talk about winning teams in the NFL forum. Please choose a different team.

Wilfredo Ledezma
02-19-2008, 08:52 PM
I remember this one time I went to a Lions game on Thanksgiving. They were playing the Steelers, and they won. Unfortunately, at that time, I had a bike with training wheels, so I couldn't tell you any more details from that game...

*sigh*, Go Lions!

Timone
02-19-2008, 08:55 PM
So how many Steelers fans do we have on the board? Just Glenn?

WTFchris
02-19-2008, 09:37 PM

Yeah. I'm only a fan of Charlie Batch lead Steelers.

Timone
02-19-2008, 09:39 PM
Sure is better than being a fan of the McNair led Ravens.

Or the Ravens period.

Glenn
02-19-2008, 09:48 PM

Bangpow, Gecko, JS, wait...

Glenn
02-19-2008, 09:49 PM
I remember this one time I went to a Lions game on Thanksgiving. They were playing the Steelers, and they won. Unfortunately, at that time, I had a bike with training wheels, so I couldn't tell you any more details from that game...

*sigh*, Go Lions!

Coin flip.

Darth Thanatos
02-23-2008, 03:57 PM
So does this mean I can make a Laker fan thread on the flagship board?

DennyMcLain
02-23-2008, 04:08 PM
If they soak Heinz Field before each home game, I think it could work to their advantage.

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/catch_all/nfl_image/hines-ward-250x250.jpg

Darth Thanatos
02-23-2008, 04:10 PM
They really should switch to a different turf. That field is a joke.

Glenn
02-24-2008, 06:36 AM
So does this mean I can make a Laker fan thread on the flagship board?

Yes.

DennyMcLain
02-27-2008, 10:24 AM
From ESPN.com

Former Steelers broadcaster, Terrible Towel creator Cope dies

Associated Press

Updated: February 27, 2008, 10:08 AM

PITTSBURGH -- Myron Cope, the screechy-voiced announcer whose colorful catch phrases and twirling Terrible Towel became symbols of the Pittsburgh Steelers (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=pit) during an unrivaled 35 seasons in the broadcast booth, has died. He was 79.

Cope died Wednesday morning at a nursing home in Mount Lebanon, a Pittsburgh suburb, Joe Gordon, a former Steelers executive and a longtime friend of Cope's, told The Associated Press.
Cope had been treated for respiratory problems and heart failure in recent months, Gordon said.

Cope's tenure from 1970 to 2004 as the color analyst on the Steelers' radio network is the longest in NFL history for a broadcaster with a single team. Cope was inducted into the National Radio Hall of Fame in 2005.

Even after retiring, Cope -- a sports talk-show host for 23 years -- continued to appear in numerous radio, TV and print ads, emblematic of his local popularity that sometimes surpassed that of the stars he covered.

Beyond Pittsburgh's three rivers, Cope is best known for pioneering the Terrible Towel, the yellow cloth twirled by fans as a good-luck charm at Steelers games since the mid-1970s. The towel is arguably the best-known fan symbol of any major pro sports team, has raised millions of dollars for charity and is displayed at the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

"You were really part of it," Steelers owner Dan Rooney told Cope in 2005. "You were part of the team. The Terrible Towel many times got us over the goal line."

An announcer by accident, Cope spent the first half of his professional career as one of the nation's most widely read freelance sports writers, writing for Sports Illustrated and the Saturday Evening Post on subjects that included Muhammad Ali, Howard Cosell and Roberto Clemente. He was hired by the Steelers at age 40, several years after he began doing TV sports commentary on the whim of a station manager, mostly to help increase attention and attendance as the Steelers moved into Three Rivers Stadium.

Neither the Steelers nor Cope had any idea how much impact he would have on a five-time Super Bowl champion franchise that, within two years of his hiring, would begin a string of home sellouts that continues to this day.

Cope became so popular that the Steelers didn't try to replace his unique perspective and top-of-the-lungs histrionics when he retired, instead downsizing from a three-man announcing team to a two-man booth.

"He doesn't play, he doesn't put on a pair of pads, but he's revered probably as much or more in Pittsburgh than Franco [Harris], all the guys," running back Jerome Bettis said. "Everybody probably remembers Myron more than the greatest players, and that's an incredible compliment."
Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

Glenn
02-27-2008, 10:37 AM
That sucks.

I'll wave my towel for him when I get home.

Me too!

Glenn
03-06-2008, 01:40 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/steelers/blogngold/

No Nittany chin.

Ed Bouchette went straight to the source today to clear up a rumor floating around the Internets that Coach Cahr could succeed Joe Paterno at Penn State:

"Bill Cowher's house is for sale in Raleigh, N.C., and he and his family will move -- two miles away.

Cowher said yesterday with a laugh that "I'm not going anywhere," after Internet reports noted that his house was for sale and rumors linked him with another coaching job, this one at Penn State.

"Put that to rest," Cowher said firmly yesterday. "I'm staying here."

Cowher, who resigned as Steelers coach after the 2006 season and moved to Raleigh, said he and his wife, Kaye, are building a new house on a golf course two miles from their current one, which is for sale. He said they decided the house they bought in fall 2005 was too big for them and their youngest daughter and they will downsize.

"My for-sale sign went up after the last NFL job was filled to avoid speculation," Cowher said with a laugh.

Cowher's name has been linked to any number of job openings in the NFL since he left the Steelers, and he's turned down several requests to talk to teams about their head coaching job."

Glenn
02-02-2009, 09:00 AM
So are there any Steelers fans left here anymore besides me?

At one time we had JS, Gecko, bangpow and a few others I think.

Glenn
02-02-2009, 09:01 AM
Glenn I hope you enjoyed your stank ass run. Because the post Bettis era is looking iffy.

DennyMcLain
02-02-2009, 09:48 AM
I posted a while back that the Steelers needed somebody like a Shone Greene from Iowa. Now, more than ever. At the very least pull a Refrigerator Perry and get some beef back there for goal line situations.

Glenn
02-02-2009, 09:50 AM
Need O-line.

I think they might have the worst O-line of any Super Bowl champion, ever.

Glenn
02-09-2009, 03:27 PM
Big Ben led S.B. triumph with broken ribs (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3894263)

:gutsy:

Glenn
03-17-2009, 04:00 PM
Obama taps Steelers’ Rooney as Irish ambassador (http://www.yahoo.com/s/1044789)

Glenn
08-21-2009, 05:12 PM
Ben's got an Achilles

Not good

UxKa
08-21-2009, 05:28 PM
Ben's got an Achilles

Not good

I got 2 Achilles, and I'm good.

Timone
08-22-2009, 02:21 AM
Ben's got an Achilles

Not good

Check your PMs, asshole.

DennyMcLain
09-11-2009, 08:25 PM
POLAMALUOUCH!!!

Glenn
10-14-2009, 05:34 PM
Aaron Smith done for the season, and the team might be too.

Timone
10-14-2009, 05:42 PM
I respect this team. I just don't like this team.

Glenn
10-19-2009, 10:09 PM
Steelers kicker Reed cited for public intoxication (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4576358)

Tahoe
10-19-2009, 10:14 PM
another 'brush with the law' story.

I just don't get too concerned with someone going out and having a few beers and ripping a towel dispenser off the wall. Maybe someone called him a girlie-man kicker.

UxKa
10-19-2009, 10:51 PM
another 'brush with the law' story.

I just don't get too concerned with someone going out and having a few beers and ripping a towel dispenser off the wall. Maybe someone called him a girlie-man kicker.

*cough*

http://kargdt.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/jeff-reed-pittsburgh-steelers-drunk-pictures11.jpg

http://www.bustedcoverage.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/jeff-reed-nachos-1.jpg

Glenn
11-23-2009, 03:23 PM
Polamalu out a month, Big Ben concussed, and #2 Chaz Batch has a bad wrist (out 6 weeks). They have to sign a QB, right? Who is out there.

Is Joey Harrington still doing sports radio?

DrRay11
11-23-2009, 03:32 PM
smells like a rat...

Glenn
11-23-2009, 03:45 PM
Steelers are talking to Jeff Garcia, Cleo Lemon, with Roethlisburger, Batch injured via http://bit.ly/6geTET

I'll take Garcia, never had a problem with him.

Timone
11-23-2009, 04:10 PM
Well, I like the Ravens' chances of winning Sunday now.

Glenn
11-23-2009, 09:00 PM
I'll take Garcia, never had a problem with him.
Looks like he's going to Denver instead.

I've always hated that guy.

Timone
11-23-2009, 09:16 PM
Jealous because he knows how to hide his homosexuality?

Glenn
11-23-2009, 10:10 PM
Hey, good one!

Glenn
11-24-2009, 11:56 AM
The Steelers are expected to sign Tyler Palko (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09328/1015835-66.stm) to the practice squad, according to Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

YAY!!!!!!!

Glenn
11-28-2009, 12:16 PM
LET THE DENNIS DIXON ERA BEGIN

Timone
12-07-2009, 12:22 PM
Adam_Schefter

Hines Ward injured hamstring late in Sunday's loss; Mike Tomlin said Ward is questionable for Thursday night vs. Browns.

Glenn
12-07-2009, 12:26 PM
Doesn't really matter at this point. Actually, it stopped mattering when Aaron Smith and Polamalu went down. It's a lost season.

Timone
12-07-2009, 12:31 PM
Check the basement in the Alamo.

Glenn
12-11-2009, 06:59 AM
Hell unleashed!

Glenn
02-18-2011, 02:03 PM
Lamar Woodley FRANCHISED

I like it.

Timone
03-03-2011, 01:35 PM
Steelers want Flozell back.

Got that through the little bro news feed.

Timone
03-03-2011, 01:38 PM
Doesn't really matter at this point. Actually, it stopped mattering when Aaron Smith and Polamalu went down. It's a lost season.

LOL @ this dude.

DrRay11
03-03-2011, 01:39 PM
clown of a fan.

"we" don't need fans like him.

Timone
03-03-2011, 01:40 PM
Remember when he said the Ravens game was over at halftime? lol

Glenn
03-07-2011, 03:51 PM
@espnafc_north: #Steelers announce they have hired Carnell Lake as their DB coach Monday.

This is a great move.

Timone
03-07-2011, 05:52 PM
The little bro Ravens should get out of the AFC North so they can get away from us. Now that would be a great move for them LOL

Timone
03-07-2011, 06:07 PM
Tommy Z would wipe the floor with Ocho, though. lol

Tahoe
03-07-2011, 07:21 PM
BREAKING NEWS... Upon further review...The NFL just overturned Franco Harris and the immaculate reception. Raiders Win!

Timone
03-07-2011, 07:25 PM
Also, the entire Superbowl against Seattle. PIT now has only 5 rings!

Tahoe
03-07-2011, 07:30 PM
Bradshaw declared ineligible due to not really understanding all those classes he took at Louisiana Tech.

Timone
04-28-2011, 11:29 PM
WE GOT HEYWARD, WOO!!!!!!!!

Glenn
04-28-2011, 11:31 PM
Buckeye.

DrRay11
04-29-2011, 12:32 PM
Zbeau, take it easy. There's an NFL draft thread, no need to bump the thread for these black and yellow bitches.

Train Wreck
06-20-2011, 03:52 PM
Played Softball against Larry Foote a couple weeks ago. Decent player but we kicked the crap out of his team. I expected him to be bigger than he is. Good to see he's keeping busy. I think he's still on the Steelers.

Glenn
06-20-2011, 04:32 PM
I bet he's still a bad ass, too.

Train Wreck
06-20-2011, 04:55 PM
No doubt

Timone
07-09-2011, 10:06 AM
Report: Hines Ward arrested for drunk driving (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/09/report-hines-ward-arrested-for-drunk-driving/related/)

Glenn
07-09-2011, 10:51 AM
oh noes

Glenn
07-09-2011, 10:52 AM
no CBA = no suspension?

Timone
07-09-2011, 11:24 AM
lul

Timone
07-13-2011, 10:50 AM
James Harrison. Yikes.

Glenn
07-13-2011, 11:41 AM
That guy's nuts, always has been.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him traded or cut ASAP, as crazy as that sounds.

Glenn
07-27-2011, 04:46 PM
@NFLDraftInsider: WR Plaxico Burress is expected to sign between the Giants and Steelers.

Very strange and I don't like it.

DrRay11
07-27-2011, 04:49 PM
gonna cry tears?

Timone
07-27-2011, 04:51 PM
He's really going to dislike it when the Steelers go back to the Superbowl. :emo kid:

Glenn
07-27-2011, 04:52 PM
NO SPARTIES PLEASE

ESPECIALLY NO CRIMINAL SPARTIES

OH...WAIT

Timone
07-27-2011, 05:02 PM
Poor Steelers fans. This 2-year Superbowl drought must be really rough.

Timone
07-28-2011, 01:02 AM
Max Starks: things that are not back.

Glenn
07-31-2011, 09:53 AM
Plax to the Jets.

They can have him.

Timone
07-31-2011, 02:33 PM
God, I hate that team.

Timone
08-01-2011, 12:01 PM
People can continue hyping the Jets and Pats all they want. My Steelers are just sitting back... and smiling.

Glenn
08-01-2011, 10:36 PM
TheReal_TMAC: Steelers hold the blueprint for success #astheyalwayshave

Glenn
08-01-2011, 10:41 PM
He's actually a Cowboys fan, though, lol.

But he rekonizes.

DrRay11
08-02-2011, 07:50 AM
I rekonize, too. That's when the Lions brass was raving about the Steelers franchise just after Millen was fired had me very enthused.

Glenn
08-02-2011, 08:08 AM
Kevin Colbert, who runs football ops for the Steelers, used to be in the Lions front office.

Glenn
08-05-2011, 12:49 PM
Lamarr Woodley 6 years.

Nice.

Timone
08-06-2011, 09:01 AM
@CharlieBatch16

Glenn
08-11-2011, 06:24 PM
THE WALLS OF JERRICHO

Timone
08-12-2011, 07:46 PM
I think we're going to get big things out of Antonio Brown this year.

Glenn
08-23-2011, 08:37 AM
New 6-year deal for Timmons.

I love it.

Timone
08-23-2011, 08:44 AM
lionsinwinter Ty
Remember: as the Steelers overinvest in LBs, so the Lions do in DL. Both teams will have holes elsewhere. Both teams will win anyway.

DrRay11
08-23-2011, 09:36 AM
diggin the new av, bro.

Timone
08-23-2011, 05:11 PM
Thx baby boy.

Timone
08-23-2011, 05:17 PM
U rdy for some 4-hour TIGERS BASEBALL 2DAY?!?

Timone
08-29-2011, 10:38 AM
I fell asleep before my draft last night and was surprised to see that Antonio Brown (big things) went undrafted.

Jumped at the chance to pick him up.

Glenn
09-10-2011, 08:05 PM
Just checked the guide. 1 pm tomorrow on CBS.

Huzzah.

Timone
09-10-2011, 08:20 PM
Bro, I can't wait. Friendly avatar bet?

Glenn
09-10-2011, 08:50 PM
Hmm.

I'm digging coach D. But, ok.

1 week?

Timone
09-10-2011, 08:51 PM
Hmm.
Let's sleep on it.

Glenn
09-10-2011, 08:55 PM
Hmm.
Let's sleep on it.

LOL!

Timone
09-10-2011, 08:55 PM
little brother needs this one more than we do, IMO.

The Steelers have NOTHING to prove to these pretenders.

Glenn
09-11-2011, 01:09 PM
Well?

/JudgeSmails

Timone
09-11-2011, 01:13 PM
How do you like those ref hats?

Glenn
09-11-2011, 01:15 PM
No bet? I'm spotting you 7, even.

Timone
09-11-2011, 01:16 PM
I can't think of anything. COme up with something!

Glenn
09-11-2011, 01:18 PM
I thought we were doing avatars?

lol, this is fail

Timone
09-11-2011, 01:19 PM
Leach acquisition paying dividends.

Timone
09-11-2011, 01:22 PM
McFattie, too. So weird to see the left side of the line look stable.

Timone
09-11-2011, 01:24 PM
Yeah, that play was too good to be true. fml

Glenn
09-11-2011, 01:28 PM
Okay, so no bet.

Maybe next time, lol.

Timone
09-11-2011, 01:51 PM
STATEMENT DRIVE for our Steelers.

Timone
09-11-2011, 01:51 PM
Whatever happened to these teams playing defense?

Glenn
09-11-2011, 02:44 PM
Wow, a shellacking.

How Embarrassing!!

DrRay11
09-11-2011, 02:44 PM
ngata is terrifying

Glenn
09-11-2011, 02:45 PM
Ooh, running up the score with fake extra points.

That might not be smart.

Glenn
09-11-2011, 02:51 PM
Bush league shit by Harbaugh, going for it on 4th down up big.

DrRay11
09-11-2011, 02:52 PM
he's got to learn a little bit. But Harbaugh is making himself look pretty good.

Timone
09-11-2011, 03:08 PM
Bush league shit by Harbaugh, going for it on 4th down up big.

IT'S A RIVALRY!!!1

Timone
09-11-2011, 03:10 PM
Next one, or two, will be a lot more competitive. I don't think the Ravens will be able to humiliate our defense like this again.

We will unleash HELL.

Timone
09-11-2011, 03:17 PM
Hey, Polamalu actually made a play that wasn't a horse-collar tackle!

Timone
09-11-2011, 03:18 PM
Wow, they actually penalized Ike Taylor for headbutting?

Timone
09-11-2011, 03:21 PM
gg though, Glansy. We'll come up with some kind of bet for next time.

Timone
09-11-2011, 03:23 PM
Woodley! #sagnasty

Glenn
09-11-2011, 03:33 PM
This is rock bottom.

Glenn
09-11-2011, 03:34 PM
Well, as close to rock bottom that you get as the most elite franchise in professional football history, that is.

Glenn
09-11-2011, 03:40 PM
Up huge, 4th qtr, Harbaugh still has starters in and throwing deep.

I would *hate* for someone to get hurt out there while clowning around.

Timone
09-11-2011, 03:40 PM
yeah, I'm not a fan of it.

Time to put Taylor in and give him some reps.

Tahoe
09-11-2011, 03:46 PM
They didn't have training camp so maybe Harbaugh wants to get some extra work in.

Timone
09-11-2011, 03:46 PM
"We" are still missing Reed (David) and Doss, too.

More weapons. Not that I think they'll be this explosive in every game.

Glenn
09-25-2011, 10:24 PM
UPSET ALERT

Glenn
09-25-2011, 10:40 PM
I think we'd have 1, maybe 2 more Super Bowls if we just had an average offensive line.

This is embarrassingly bad.

Timone
10-02-2011, 12:14 PM
Kind of nervous about today's game.

Glenn
10-02-2011, 01:36 PM
This high school O-line is gonna get Ben kilt.

Tahoe
10-02-2011, 02:11 PM
True Steeler fans...enjoy the ride. Don't worry about negative fans.