WTFDetroit.com

View Full Version : Carson Palmer Fucked (Not Really)

H1Man
01-13-2006, 03:06 AM
QB Palmer injury 'devastating, potentially career-ending'

Doctor says Palmer's injury 'devastating'

Carson Palmer's knee injury was "devastating and potentially career-ending," but his surgeon said Thursday that he is optimistic the Cincinnati Bengals quarterback can recover and play next season.

Palmer tore ligaments in his left knee when he was hit by Pittsburgh's Kimo von Oelhoffen on his first pass during the Steelers' 31-17 playoff victory Sunday.

The team announced that he had torn the anterior cruciate and medial collateral ligaments. The damage was much more extensive and severe, but Dr. Lonnie Paulos said surgery went well and Palmer could be ready for the regular season.

Palmer had surgery Tuesday in Houston. Doctors used grafts from other parts of his body and donated tissue to fix the damage during an operation that lasted more than two hours. Palmer headed back to California on Thursday to do his rehabilitation.

"It's not just like it was a torn ACL," Paulos said Thursday, in a phone interview from Houston. "It's a magnitude more difficult to recover from and repair. It can and has ended careers, without a doubt.

"However, I feel very comfortable with Carson as an athlete and the heart that he's got. In the end, that's the bottom line. I can see the look in his eye already. He's ready to get going."

Paulos, an orthopedic surgeon who has worked with the U.S. Ski Team since 1983, replaced the anterior cruciate ligament, which runs through the middle of the knee and provides stability. He said the medial collateral ligament, which runs along the side of the knee, was damaged "real bad."

"On a scale of 1 to 3, it was a 4," he said. "It was off the chart. It was pretty badly damaged - shredded is the better term."

The kneecap dislocated when Palmer was hit, damaging tissue around it. There also was some cartilage damage, he said.

Paulos was able to repair the knee without removing pieces of cartilage or soft tissue, a good sign.

"The things that were torn could be repaired," he said. "They were not torn beyond repair. So he's got all his parts in there, which is good. We're optimistic, actually."

If rehabilitation goes well, Palmer could be running in a couple of months and might be able to play in the first regular season game, Paulos said. The 2006 schedule hasn't been set.

The Bengals declined to comment on Paulos' description of the injury, but released a statement from him late Thursday night reiterating that he is optimistic about Palmer's recovery.

Palmer has worn a protective brace on the left knee since he sprained it near the end of the 2004 season. The knee bowed inward on von Oelhoffen's hit even though Palmer was wearing the brace,

"The brace didn't function well in this environment and should have done better than it did, frankly," Paulos said.

The plan is for Palmer to wear more substantial braces on both knees when he returns.

"No brace is perfect," Paulos said. "No brace can prevent every injury, but they do help."

Paulos saw the replay of the injury and wasn't surprised at the extent of the damage it caused. Palmer has absolved von Oelhoffen, saying he didn't think the lineman was trying to hurt him. The lineman said he was trying to sack Palmer, not injure him. He wasn't penalized for the hit.

Palmer made the Pro Bowl in only his second season as a starter, throwing an NFL-leading 32 touchdown passes. The club extended his contract through the 2014 season.

Jon Kitna, who has been Palmer's backup and mentor the last two years, can become a free agent. Palmer's injury will force the Bengals to make sure they have another reliable quarterback on board.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5240874

MOLA1
01-13-2006, 03:31 AM
That fuckin blows. He was the best QB out there this year.

Glenn
01-13-2006, 07:48 AM
This story reeks of the surgeon patting himself on the back.

So this injury was "career threatening" if what, he DID NOTHING ABOUT IT? Duh!

It's just odd to me that the lead is all doom and gloom, and the fact that the guy says "but the surgery went fine and he should be ready to play next year" is kind of swept under the rug.

IMO, this guy is obviously jealous of Dr. James Andrews and is trying to get his name out there as a miracle worker so he can score more surgeries from sports stars.

(please don't misread this as me saying that Palmer's injury wasn't serious, I'm just questioning the docs motives for how this is being publicized)

MoTown
01-13-2006, 09:35 AM
Not to switch the subject away from Palmer, but I'm still not completely sure how Hines Ward can play not to mention WALK without an ACL. They've stated that many times when he makes a catch, which is quite often.

Glenn, you're the Steelers fan. Have you researched that at all?

Taymelo
01-13-2006, 09:51 AM
This story reeks of the surgeon patting himself on the back.

So this injury was "career threatening" if what, he DID NOTHING ABOUT IT? Duh!

It's just odd to me that the lead is all doom and gloom, and the fact that the guy says "but the surgery went fine and he should be ready to play next year" is kind of swept under the rug.

IMO, this guy is obviously jealous of Dr. James Andrews and is trying to get his name out there as a miracle worker so he can score more surgeries from sports stars.

(please don't misread this as me saying that Palmer's injury wasn't serious, I'm just questioning the docs motives for how this is being publicized)

Glenn: I noticed the same thing, but hey, you've got to admit its a nice move by the doc. I think you're just jealous you didn't think of saying shit like this when we revived WTFDetroit.com.

Glenn
01-13-2006, 10:40 AM
Glenn, you're the Steelers fan. Have you researched that at all?

Can't help you there.

Apparently, not having an ACL makes you a badass and a hell of a receiver.

JS
01-13-2006, 12:00 PM
Yes it's true he has no ACL's at all. Both Knees are missing ACL's. He blew them out in HS, and has learned to play w/o them. SO Carson has a shot because Hines played QB at Georgia also.

Glenn
01-13-2006, 04:07 PM
BACKPEDAL!!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2290916

Palmer's doctor quells fears about QB's surgery

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ESPN.com news services

While Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Carson Palmer's knee injury was deemed severe, the initial reports of possible long-term effects were overstated, Palmer's surgeon, Dr. Lonnie Paulos, said in a statement released by the team Thursday.

Palmer was hit at the knee shortly after planting to throw.

"I believe and regret that media reports based on interviews with me have misinterpreted my view of Carson Palmer's knee injury. Though the injury was serious, the essential fact remains that his ACL and MCL have been repaired.

"I would consider this a typical ACL-MCL football injury. Comments attributed to me that the knee injury was 'devastating and potentially career ending' were meant to describe such injuries in general. I was accurately quoted by The Associated Press that my bottom line is optimism regarding Carson's prognosis. With a successful rehabilitation program, he has an excellent chance of being medically cleared for play at the start of the 2006 regular season."

Paulos, in the AP interview Thursday, said the damage was more severe and extensive.

"It's not just like it was a torn ACL," Paulos told the AP. "It's a magnitude more difficult to recover from and repair. It can and has ended careers, without a doubt." BUSTED -GD
Paulos, however, assures Bengals fans that Palmer will be ready for next season.

"He did great," Paulos told The Cincinnati Enquirer. "He's already rehabbing. He's a great athlete. He's a stud. He'll be back in a few months."

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

DrRay11
01-14-2006, 10:32 AM
Yes it's true he has no ACL's at all. Both Knees are missing ACL's. He blew them out in HS, and has learned to play w/o them. SO Carson has a shot because Hines played QB at Georgia also.

Damn. That's amazing. Could be like me-- After I tore mine, I was playing for a month. My knee was still stable as hell, and I could run as fast as I used to. Too bad I played linebacker, and re-injured it and then had surgery.

H1Man
03-22-2006, 05:55 PM
Palmer expects to play in season opener

Carson Palmer still faces many uncertainties as he rehabs his left knee.

How many games - if any - will he miss this fall? And who might fill in for him now that former backup Jon Kitna signed as a free agent with Detroit? He says he expects to play in the regular-season opener, but that also might be in question.

"I wish I knew when I was coming back," Palmer said Wednesday. "The last thing I need to do is push anything too early and push back the date that I can really step on the field 100 percent."

Palmer tore ligaments in his left knee when he was hit by Pittsburgh's Kimo von Oelhoffen on his first pass during the Steelers' 31-17 playoff victory in December.

Palmer estimates his rehab is one-quarter complete and that he is "exactly where I should be at week 10" of his program. He met with Cincinnati media for the first time since surgery on Jan. 10 appearing confident and upbeat.

Minicamp in spring is out of the question, he said. Training camp not very likely and the preseason iffy. Palmer expects to play in the regular season opener, but the Bengals are looking at veteran free-agent quarterbacks just in case.

"If I had a crystal ball, we wouldn't be going through this backup quarterback thing we're going through," Palmer said.

The Bengals have Craig Krenzel under contract, signed former Atlanta and Tennessee backup Doug Johnson last month and are believed to be looking at other free agents.

Palmer called his injury "heartbreaking" because he felt so helpless and unable to help his teammates as they lost to the Steelers.

"I think I learned how quickly things can be taken away from you," said Palmer, a Heisman Trophy winner and the overall No.1 pick in the 2003 draft. "I'll take something from this, and it will be you can't take it for granted."

A team spokesman confirmed during Super Bowl week that Palmer had been barred from talking about his injury and surgery. But Palmer said the decision was at least partly his.

"The Bengals do a phenomenal job of protecting their players," Palmer said. "They said, 'Do you want to be talking about this for the next three months?' I said no. I could answer questions about this every single day, 10 times a day all the way until the season."

He understands the "media commotion" over his injury, he said. Still, he is a little surprised - and touched - by the fuss and outpouring of fan support the injury created.

Football players sometimes get hurt, right?

"It's not like I've got cancer or lost a limb," Palmer said. "It's just knee surgery."

Palmer said he holds no grudge against von Oelhoffen. And it makes no difference that von Oelhoffen has left the Steelers to sign with the New York Jets.

The Steelers are still the division rival that Cincinnati wants to beat most.

"When I step on the field to play Pittsburgh, I'm not going to think, 'Where's Kimo,"' Palmer said.
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5435910