WTFDetroit.com

View Full Version : Lions interested in Simms

Gecko
01-08-2006, 05:00 PM
Morty says Lions like Simms. I am not that familiar with the Lions or Bucs cap situation so I am not sure it's poosible. Simms is a RFA.

If it was possible would what it take to get Simms? Thoughts?

I would love Chriss Simms, the kid showed me a lot yesterday.

theMUHMEshow
01-08-2006, 05:02 PM
I am telling you what I love that run he had in the fourth quarter.

Unibomber
01-08-2006, 05:16 PM
I don't see any difference between Chris Simms' role on the Lions and Jeff Garcia's role last year. And we all know how well that charade worked.

Gecko
01-08-2006, 05:19 PM
I don't see any difference between Chris Simms' role on the Lions and Jeff Garcia's role last year. And we all know how well that charade worked.

I am not sure what you're saying here?

theMUHMEshow
01-08-2006, 05:23 PM
I do not think they are similar at all...Simms is young and actually can throw farther than Sandra Day O'Conner.

Unibomber
01-08-2006, 05:36 PM

I am not sure what you're saying here?

I couldn't count on Chris Simms to start for 16 games if Joey leaves. Even if he does, I couldn't count on his production either. There's a reason it's taken him Goddamn forever to start for the Bucs.

Gecko
01-08-2006, 06:06 PM
There's just no way you can compare Simms to the dinosaur Garcia. I have not watched Simms career but is it possible that they were developing him? Simms right now is better than Joey so I don't get the hate.

Glenn
01-09-2006, 08:49 AM
I'd rather have Griese.

WTFchris
01-09-2006, 08:54 AM
^me too. Greise just signed an extension, so it's possible they are forced to trade him or let Simms walk. They will have too much money in QB's if they keep both, much like SD might have.

I'd trade them for Griese if they want. Can you do S&T's in NFL? Maybe they'd want Edwards or something.

JS
01-09-2006, 09:12 AM
Chris if I remember correctly Griese's contract was structured so that it was more like a 1 year contract with several options for extra years. It's not like he got a huge signing bonus so cutting him or trading him won't hurt the Bucs cap too much.

As far as Simms goes it depends on what kind of qualifying offer he gets. He was a 3rd rd pick so compensaton isn't like if he was franchised.

WTFchris
01-09-2006, 09:15 AM
^not sure. I know Griese signed an extension this past year though. Don't know what the money is. I suspect he wants to start though. He probably didn't sign it to be a backup.

Gecko
01-09-2006, 12:05 PM
I just don't get this no one likes Simms thing. I haven't seen much but from what I have seen it looks like he can throw a good deep ball, has a strong arm and is a gamer.

When someone posts something like I don't like this person or I rather I have this person it would be nice to see the reasons why.

Black Dynamite
01-09-2006, 12:09 PM
^me too. Greise just signed an extension, so it's possible they are forced to trade him or let Simms walk. They will have too much money in QB's if they keep both, much like SD might have.

I'd trade them for Griese if they want. Can you do S&T's in NFL? Maybe they'd want Edwards or something.
you have to protect griese in order to get your full value out of him. so i dont think detroit would be a good fit for him.

he'd still be a denver bronco if shannahan wasnt bent on getting cut blocking run blockers who cant pass block worth a lick(thus his team runs a ridiculous amount of bootlegs to hide it)

Artermis
01-09-2006, 01:03 PM
I like Simms, but no way the Bucs let him go. He is their future at QB. He throws a nice ball and can run a little.

Plus he is clutch, too bad that WR didnt hang on.

Art

WTFchris
01-09-2006, 01:13 PM

you have to protect griese in order to get your full value out of him. so i dont think detroit would be a good fit for him.

he'd still be a denver bronco if shannahan wasnt bent on getting cut blocking run blockers who cant pass block worth a lick(thus his team runs a ridiculous amount of bootlegs to hide it)

assuming we have a proper offseason, our OL could be turned around a lot. If Millen is smart, he would resign Backus and draft a OT in the late first (trading next year's to get an extra one this year).

Then let the OT battle for LT or RT. Backus could move to RT or LG depending on how the rookie did. Backus, Kosier, Riola, Woody, Rookie or Rookie, Backus, Riola, Woody, Butler or even Rookie, Backus, Woody, Kosier, Butler could be a huge improvement.

I don't think we'd be a great OL, but we could at least be average. Assuming Backus is healthy, the rookie pans out ok, Woody returns to form, and Butler makes some improvements, it could be an above average OL.

DennyMcLain
01-09-2006, 04:02 PM
Agreed. What the point of having a discussion about Simms if there's no protection?

You can have Peyton Manning in there and the Lions O would still suck. The QB needs a solid enough O line to offer him a shot at checking off routes. He also needs the confidence in the line to audible shifts and blocking assignments without worry.

WTFchris
01-09-2006, 04:27 PM
Agreed. What the point of having a discussion about Simms if there's no protection?

You can have Peyton Manning in there and the Lions O would still suck. The QB needs a solid enough O line to offer him a shot at checking off routes. He also needs the confidence in the line to audible shifts and blocking assignments without worry.

that's why I don't get why people are talking about trading up for Young/Leinart. We have to address the OL and bring in someone else to compete with Joey outside the draft.

Taymelo
01-09-2006, 04:59 PM
Assuming Backus is healthy, the rookie pans out ok, Woody returns to form, and Butler makes some improvements, it could be an above average OL.

In other words:

Assuming all 5,000 "ifs" work out in the Lions' favor, they could be above average.

Sounds like a typical Lions fan.

The Lions need each and every intangible to go right in order to have an above-average OL.

Newsflash: All 5,000 intangibles that Lions fans hold out for each year NEVER all pan out in the same year. Its simply not possible.

Either Backus will get injured, or Butler will not improve, or Woody won't return to form, or Kozier will continue to be nothing more than an average backup, or some combination of all the above.

The reality is If they don't replace at least TWO starting OL positions (one through a first round pick and one through free agency), they will continue to suck. End of story.

EDIT: And you forgot to mention "if Raoila grows 3 inches and gets longer arms" he could help them be an above average OL.

Unibomber
01-09-2006, 11:37 PM
Assuming Backus is healthy, the rookie pans out ok, Woody returns to form, and Butler makes some improvements, it could be an above average OL.

In other words:

Assuming all 5,000 "ifs" work out in the Lions' favor, they could be above average.

Sounds like a typical Lions fan.

The Lions need each and every intangible to go right in order to have an above-average OL.

Newsflash: All 5,000 intangibles that Lions fans hold out for each year NEVER all pan out in the same year. Its simply not possible.

Either Backus will get injured, or Butler will not improve, or Woody won't return to form, or Kozier will continue to be nothing more than an average backup, or some combination of all the above.

The reality is If they don't replace at least TWO starting OL positions (one through a first round pick and one through free agency), they will continue to suck. End of story.

EDIT: And you forgot to mention "if Raoila grows 3 inches and gets longer arms" he could help them be an above average OL.

Taymelo is blossoming at the right time.