WTFDetroit.com

View Full Version : Kosova declares independence from Serbia

Balkan
02-17-2008, 06:53 PM
Kosovo declares independence from Serbia

By WILLIAM J. KOLE and NEBI QENA, Associated Press Writers 1 hour, 3 minutes ago

PRISTINA, Kosovo - Revelers fired guns, waved red-and-black Albanian flags and set off fireworks over Kosovo Sunday after parliament proclaimed independence in defiance of Serbia and Russia, which condemned the declaration of the world's newest nation.
ADVERTISEMENT

A decade after a bloody separatist war with Serbian forces that claimed 10,000 lives, lawmakers pronounced the territory the Republic of Kosovo and pledged to make it a "democratic, multiethnic state." Its leaders looked for swift recognition from the U.S. and key European powers — but also braced for a bitter showdown.

Serbia called the declaration illegal and its ally Russia denounced it, saying it threatened to touch off a new conflict in the Balkans. Russia called for an emergency session of the U.N. Security Council, which met later Sunday.

In the capital, Pristina, the mood was jubilant. Thousands of ethnic Albanians braved subfreezing temperatures to ride on the roofs of their cars, singing patriotic songs and chanting: "KLA! KLA!" the acronym for the now-disbanded rebel Kosovo Liberation Army. They waved American flags alongside the red Albanian banner imprinted with a black, double-headed eagle.

Many dressed in traditional costumes and played trumpets and drums, and an ethnic Albanian couple named their newborn daughter Pavarsie — Albanian for "independence."

"This is the happiest day in my life," said Mehdi Shehu, 68. "Now we're free and we can celebrate without fear."

By contrast, police in the Serbian capital Belgrade fired tear gas and rubber bullets in skirmishes with protesters who opposed the declaration. Groups of masked thugs ran through downtown Belgrade smashing windows and ransacking tobacco stands. At least 30 people were injured, about half of them police officers, hospital officials said.

Hundreds of protesters rallied outside the U.S. Embassy in Belgrade. Others broke windows at McDonald's restaurants and at the embassy of Slovenia — which holds the European Union's rotating presidency. Later in the evening, police kept a group of protesters from approaching the Albanian embassy.

Kosovo had formally remained a part of Serbia even though it has been administered by the U.N. and NATO since 1999, when NATO airstrikes ended former Yugoslav leader Slobodan Milosevic's crackdown on ethnic Albanian separatists.

Ninety percent of Kosovo's 2 million people are ethnic Albanian — most of them secular Muslims — and they see no reason to stay joined to the rest of Christian Orthodox Serbia.

The European Union and NATO, mindful of the Balkans' turbulent past, appealed for restraint and warned that the international community would not tolerate violence.

President Bush said the United States "will continue to work with our allies to the very best we can to make sure there's no violence."

"We are heartened by the fact that the Kosovo government has clearly proclaimed its willingness and its desire to support Serbian rights in Kosovo," Bush said while on a visit to Africa. "We also believe it's in Serbia's interest to be aligned with Europe and the Serbian people can know that they have a friend in America."

Underscoring fears of renewed unrest, an explosion lightly damaged a U.N. building housing a courthouse and a jail in Kosovo's tense north, home to most of its roughly 100,000 minority Serbs. No one was injured. An unexploded grenade was found near a motel that houses EU officials.

In the ethnically divided northern city of Kosovska Mitrovica, Serbs vowed never to let Kosovo go.

"The Albanians can celebrate all they want, but this stillborn baby of theirs will never be an independent country as long as we Serbs are here and alive," said Djordje Jovanovic.

Kosovo is still protected by 16,000 NATO-led peacekeepers, and the alliance boosted its patrols over the weekend in hopes of discouraging violence. International police, meanwhile, deployed to back up local forces in the tense north.

Sunday's declaration was carefully orchestrated with the U.S. and key European powers, and Kosovo was counting on international recognition that could come as early as Monday, when EU foreign ministers meet in Brussels, Belgium.

But by sidestepping the U.N. and appealing directly to the U.S. and other nations for recognition, Kosovo's independence set up a showdown with Serbia — outraged at the imminent loss of its territory — and Russia, which warned that it would set a dangerous precedent for separatist groups worldwide.

Russian President Vladimir Putin has argued that independence without U.N. approval would set a dangerous precedent for "frozen conflicts" across the former Soviet Union, where separatists in Chechnya and Georgia are agitating for independence.

Serbia's government ruled out a military response as part of a secret "action plan" drafted earlier this week, but warned that it would downgrade relations with any foreign government that recognizes Kosovo's independence.

Meanwhile, Serbia's government minister for Kosovo, Slobodan Samardzic, said Serbia would increase its presence in the roughly 15 percent of Kosovo that is Serb-controlled in an apparent attempt to partition the province.

Kosovo President Fatmir Sejdiu sought to allay Serbs' concerns, telling them: "I understand today is a fearful day for you all, but your rights and your property will be protected today as it will be always."

At a special session of parliament boycotted by 10 minority Serb lawmakers and televised live nationwide, sustained applause erupted after the rest of the chamber unanimously adopted the declaration of independence, which was scripted on parchment.

They also unveiled a new national crest and a flag: a bright blue banner featuring a golden map of Kosovo and six stars, one for each of its main ethnic groups. Few of the new flags were seen Sunday on Kosovo's streets, where the old Albanian banner still dominated.

"We, the democratically elected leaders of our people, hereby declare Kosovo to be an independent and sovereign state," the proclamation read.

"From today onwards, Kosovo is proud, independent and free," said Prime Minister Hashim Thaci, a former KLA leader. "We never lost faith in the dream that one day we would stand among the free nations of the world, and today we do."

"Our hopes have never been higher," he said. "Dreams are infinite, our challenges loom large, but nothing can deter us from moving forward to the greatness that history has reserved for us."

Like Sejdiu, Thaci reached out to ordinary Serbs, but he had stern words for the Serbian government.

"Kosovo will never be ruled by Belgrade again," he warned.

Thaci also signed 192 separate letters to nations around the world — including Serbia — asking them to recognize Kosovo as a state.

Kosovo's leaders signed their names on a giant iron sculpture spelling out "NEWBORN" before heading to a sports hall for a performance of Beethoven's "Ode to Joy" by the Kosovo Philharmonic Orchestra.

International officials warned their staff to stay indoors and avoid "happy fire" as some revelers shot handguns into the air.

"I feel stronger," said Ymer Govori, 36, carrying his daughter on his shoulders to celebrations downtown. "I have my own state and my own post code," he said, "and it won't say Serbia any longer."

At long last, the breakup of Serbia is complete. No more plans of "Greater Serbia" but it might not be long to see if Albania decides to annex it. Too bad Russia, your friends in the Balkans are growing small faster than cornbread at a Lions game.

Glenn
02-18-2008, 06:24 AM
In other news, why you still dodging The Mailman?

Big Swami
02-18-2008, 10:22 AM
Further proof that everyone in the Balkans hates each other.

Timone
02-18-2008, 10:23 AM
In other news, why you still dodging The Mailman?

Timone
02-18-2008, 10:25 AM
Glenn, can you finally ban me so I can declare my independence from WTF?

MOLA1
02-18-2008, 10:49 AM
Further proof that everyone in the Balkans hates each other.
Not true. We all beef with Serbs. The rest of us are all friends.

DennyMcLain
02-18-2008, 11:41 AM
Balkans?

http://members.tripod.com/~preTender_316/balki2.jpg

If that's what all of you look like, then fuck it.

Timone
02-18-2008, 11:42 AM
Ok Nancy, it's time for you to fucking tell everyone why your name is Balkan anyway.

MOLA1
02-18-2008, 12:42 PM
Balkans?

http://members.tripod.com/~preTender_316/balki2.jpg

If that's what all of you look like, then fuck it.
TRIPOWNED

Tahoe
02-18-2008, 07:24 PM
I'm just a typical stereotypical American who really doesn't know shit about the rest of the world. If I knew anything about that part of the world, I'd have something to say...however wrong.

DennyMcLain
02-18-2008, 08:33 PM
I'm just a typical stereotypical American who really doesn't know shit about the rest of the world. If I knew anything about that part of the world, I'd have something to say...however wrong.

I always thought Albanians were Jessica Alba groupies.

Oh well. Whadda I know.

Balkan
02-18-2008, 10:28 PM
Eliza Dushku is part Albanian. Although I can't say anything for the rest of the people.

Ok Nancy, it's time for you to fucking tell everyone why your name is Balkan anyway.

I was born in Croatia. Family fled to America in 1970s and Michigan. Then what was left of the family left Dearborn after Muslims took over.

Timone
02-18-2008, 10:29 PM
after Muslims took over.

uh...

Balkan
02-18-2008, 10:37 PM
what?

Big Swami
02-18-2008, 10:39 PM
Serbians are a unique bunch. They're one of those ethnicities who's always had an irrational sense of national pride, born out of an irrational sense of victimization throughout the centuries.

They are a relatively new ethnicity. They were a pagan Slavic people who were converted to Christianity during the Middle Ages, and all their old folk tales say that the first Serbs came from Kosovo. All the Slavic languages spoken in the Balkans developed out of Old Church Slavonic, of which only a very few records remain. Serbia and Croatia speak what's basically the same language, except the Croatians are Catholic and write it in the Roman alphabet (like us), and the Serbs are Eastern Orthodox and write it in the Cyrillic alphabet (like the Russians).

While the rest of Europe was experiencing the Renaissance, the Serbs were being invaded by the Turks and building up a sense of victimhood and a very strong hatred of everything Muslim. Culturally, the Serbs feel like they have a great deal to be proud of - mostly, religious art. Factually, they're stuck in the era of the Crusades, and they're a bitter bunch of violent drunks who get together every 30 years or so to start up modern-day Pogroms against their non-Orthodox neighbors. And because they're Orthodox, they can always count Russia to be on their side, no matter how stupid they're being.

The Kosovar Albanians are no princes either. They emigrated from their own country (which is a total shithole) and settled in large numbers in a part of Serbia; after a while they just took it for their own. No matter how many Mexicans settle in L.A., they're not seizing it and declaring their independence; that would just be rude.

Basically, the whole region is a goddamn shithouse of freezing mountains, rocks, mines, and unexploded ordinance that no one should be inhabiting, let alone fighting over.

Timone
02-18-2008, 10:39 PM
Nothing.

You're Toni Kukoc, aren't you?

DennyMcLain
02-18-2008, 10:57 PM
The Kosovar Albanians are no princes either. They emigrated from their own country (which is a total shithole) and settled in large numbers in a part of Serbia; after a while they just took it for their own. No matter how many Mexicans settle in L.A., they're not seizing it and declaring their independence; that would just be rude.

Swami, check your PM's

Big Swami
02-19-2008, 12:04 AM
Albanians may be wonderful people, and there may be great Albanian people everywhere from Mother Theresa to John Belushi, but the actual nation of Albania suffers from a terrible economic mismanagement (and former totalitarian government) which has caused generations to flee. Ergo, shithole.

Timone
02-19-2008, 12:06 AM
John Belushi was tenuously connected to Albania.

Tahoe
02-19-2008, 12:10 AM
I was flying back from Acapulco one time in first class and this lady that sitting next to me(serious fucking world traveler type...nowhatimsayin) was telling me that the most beautiful place she has EVER visited was like right by there I think. Along the sea???

Am I way fucking off on that? Or maybe it was Yugoslavia or something...anyway...off to the 'post here when' thread.

Big Swami
02-19-2008, 12:12 AM
Albania has some beautiful undeveloped coastline, I hear. However, Albania has for many years been known as a place people are trying to get the fuck out of.

Tahoe
02-19-2008, 12:13 AM
Isn't that where that Cuscesco dude was? They ended up shooting him and his wife? Or was that the guy that was on trial at the Hague?

Uncle Mxy
02-19-2008, 12:15 AM
I just feel sad... very sad.
I could talk policy and history and crap, I suppose.
That's not my first reaction, though.

Tahoe
02-19-2008, 12:18 AM
I think its safe to say that it was pretty fucked up over there from time to time and the regular peeps didn't deserve that shit. Gov'ts always fuck things up.

Balkan
02-19-2008, 12:34 AM
Nothing.

You're Toni Kukoc, aren't you?

Only a tenuous connection at best.

he whole region is a goddamn shithouse of freezing mountains, rocks, mines, and unexploded ordinance that no one should be inhabiting, let alone fighting over.

Wow, why all this hatred against the Balkans Swami?

Isn't that where that Cuscesco dude was? They ended up shooting him and his wife? Or was that the guy that was on trial at the Hague?

His name was Nicolae Ceauşescu and he was the Romanian leader during the years of the Eastern Bloc. Slobodan Milošević was the Serbian leader who was on trial at the Hague.

Tahoe
02-19-2008, 12:41 AM
And wasn't NC and SM both pretty much evil? Like I said, this history was after i went to school. I don't know much of anything about the region.

Big Swami
02-19-2008, 10:57 AM
I'm just bummed out at them over fucking up the 1990s with their ethnic cleansing. Same way I'm bummed out at Israel and their neighbors for fucking up the 2nd half of the 20th century.

Seriously, is that land really worth killing each other over? I could understand if someone wanted to fight a gigantic war over Barbados, at least it's warm and wet and there's tons of beaches and rum and dancing. But people in Barbados are about as laid back as it gets. I think in some places, the landscape hardens the people against their kinder human nature.

Fool
02-19-2008, 11:12 AM
Um....

hmm...

Losing a third of your people kind of alters your view of things.

MOLA1
02-24-2008, 11:47 PM
http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/5329/albaniaqe4.jpg
:dismissed:

MOLA1
02-24-2008, 11:49 PM
I was born in Croatia. Family fled to America in 1970s and Michigan. Then what was left of the family left Dearborn after Muslims took over.
Cheers my brother. A true ally right here. God bless.

DennyMcLain
02-24-2008, 11:58 PM

Shit. THAT close to Italy, eh?

Ohhhh us stupid Americans. Everything's a surprise.

MOLA1
02-25-2008, 12:11 AM
Albanians may be wonderful people, and there may be great Albanian people everywhere from Mother Theresa to John Belushi.

Here are some names that people may recognize, but never thought were Albanian:

Homer (not Simpson)
Stan Dragoti
Joseph DioGuardi
Lee Elia
Regis Philbin
Bill Kovach
Tie Domi

MikeMyers
02-25-2008, 06:52 PM
Domi was known as the Albanian aggressor.

Homer is not Albanian.

Big Swami
02-25-2008, 11:51 PM
Go ahead and post a map of Aztlan while you're at it.

DennyMcLain
02-26-2008, 01:11 AM
http://www.bajes.us/blog/euro/alba_spy.jpg

If you can tell me where this is, I will kiss your virtual feet, Swami.

Answer: gjirokastor, albania

MOLA1
02-26-2008, 01:48 AM
Go ahead and post a map of Aztlan while you're at it.

You mean to tell me that the Kosovars migrated there to the point where they
inhabit 98% of the place to this day? That's retarded. Our land has been
taken from us over time from the North and South, mostly North.

I think Native Americans having their land stripped would be a bit more fitting,
rather than comparing our brothers in Kosova to Mexicans coming in to the
United States. We didn't sell Kosova for 10K dude. It was taken over.

In any case, the whole point of this thread was discussing how the Serbs are
bored and that's why they ambushed the Embassy. Their goverment is bass
ackwards and that's why they have resentment to the United States.

God bless Wesley Clark. Thanks for the entertainment though BS.

Zip Goshboots
02-26-2008, 07:38 AM
Eliza Dushku is part Albanian. Although I can't say anything for the rest of the people.

Any of you computer whizzes know how I can make that "cough/bullshit" sound with a computer, and then put it here?

Timone
02-26-2008, 05:44 PM
^ You CAN do it like this:

*cough*bullshit*cough*