WTFDetroit.com

View Full Version : SOTU

Tahoe
01-28-2008, 09:16 PM
Bush hit pretty hard on spending.

He's telling his cabinet members to ignor earmarks that aren't openly discussed on the floor. Excellent. Luckily Bush has finally got his footing on holding the Dems spending down.

Uncle Mxy
01-28-2008, 10:57 PM
I think Bush could've just said "stay the course" and save us all a lot of time. As for earmarks? The earmarks grow enormously with a Republican congress and Bush not veto-ing anything, "spending like a drunken sailor".

The Democratic response was god-awful. The words were probably ok, but the delivery was Prozac-laden. I was hoping for a Jim Webb-leve retort. On the brighter side, the governor of Kansas looks kinda like Emmylou Harris.

Obama's response was pretty much on the mark, but it was filmed kinda stupidly with funny head closeupsl. I think it would've been cooler if it didn't have "campaign" tones to it.

DrRay11
01-28-2008, 11:01 PM
Meh, I thought Bush just restated what he's been saying all along. He's not going to do anything about it.

Tahoe
01-29-2008, 02:11 AM
Mxy, did you listen to the SOTU? Or the news lately? He's trying to keep money in poor and middle income pockets, by making the tax cuts permanent and cutting spending and vetoing bills.

The Dems want to raise taxes, not the Republicans. I don't get you guys sometimes. Its like you have cotton in your ears.

Uncle Mxy
01-29-2008, 04:29 AM
I was referring to earmarks specifically, though. I think it's a total crock that Bush only now realizes that earmarked pork is a bad thing. He was just fine with passing thes bloated budgets when a Republican-led congress submitted them. Earmarks tripled in volume under his watch! The earmarks bit seems more about denying Democrats any election-season boost than about some sudden rise of fiscal conservatism in Bush's heart. Check this out:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/29/washington/29earmark.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin

Taxes are different than earmarks. :)

I'm not clear where mainstream Dems in office want to outright raise taxes on the poor/middle class. The language that I've seen most is "repeal the Bush tax cuts only for the richest 1%", which isn't the poor/middle class. Heck, most Dems seem just as eager as Reps to give away money we don't have in the name of economic stimulus. Note that Bush didn't even call it stimulus, called it a "growth package" instead.

Fool
01-29-2008, 08:10 AM
Because the stimulus package is getting torn apart by EVERY financial advisor and economist they put in front of a mic.

BTW
http://www.emmylou.nl/images/emmylou1.gif
I'd hit it.

Uncle Mxy
01-29-2008, 02:43 PM
Supposedly, Obama didn't shake Hillary's hand, or was it Hillary who didn't shake Obama's hand, and there was some minor tiff, only there wasn't, and all people have are pictures and videos showing that there was a big crowd of politicians.

Whoopty-the-fuck-doo.

Tahoe
01-29-2008, 02:50 PM
That was a good speech last night. I wish he would have hit those earmarks earlier (like I've been saying all along) but at least he's doing it now.

He's held the line on spending over the last year, finally, and turned things around in Iraq.

The Prez got good reviews.

Hermy
01-29-2008, 02:55 PM
Embarrased himself again. AIDS blah blah blah....same garbage, no effort at solutions.

Uncle Mxy
01-29-2008, 11:55 PM
Here's a picture of the so-called snub by Obama:

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l316/peraspera/Web/ObamaMcCaskillKennedyClintonsh.jpg