WTFDetroit.com

View Full Version : south carolina primary

b-diddy
01-26-2008, 01:43 AM
obama is projected to win by ~10 points. dont buy too much into "polls arent reliable" bit. NH polls were admitted to be flawed before, during, and after the process.

this one is huge. obama losing would really hurt. hilary is fine unless blowout, i'd think.

im guessing this is the last legs of john edwards' campaign barring big surprise showing. i dont know if he has any motive to stick around for super tuesday unless he knows something the analysts dont (re: his impact on this race. seems to be a mixed bag concerning which candidate he is helping / hurting).

b-diddy
01-26-2008, 06:58 PM
its sounding like obama won big before the polls even closed. only in politics and sometimes bcs does margin of victory matter. so its worth taking alook at what that final number is. wolf just said "strong" winner, im hoping for 20 points.

b-diddy
01-26-2008, 07:02 PM
barak got 81 % of african americans! wow! earlier projections had him winning by 25 points in the black vote.

worth a look: he also captured 26 % of white votes, compared to 36%. now, this is heading into deep south territory. so all those people saying whitey wont vote for a black man are getting some answers here. looks like a factor, but not enough to swing an election.

edwards did ok w/ whitey, but not too good overrall.

Glenn
01-26-2008, 08:40 PM
Barack won huge, but damn, Bill Clinton gave a hell of a fine speech tonight.

MANCRUSH

Tahoe
01-26-2008, 10:19 PM
I heard all week that the Clintons are playing the race card and its pissing the Dems, in general, and AA voters off too.

I want the Clintons to go AWAY. I want the Bushs' to go AWAY.

Lets move on peeps.

Tahoe
01-26-2008, 10:35 PM
BTW...I'm sooooo glad that a black man can finally compete in this country for POTUS.

HUGE SHOUT OUT FOR BO!

Uncle Mxy
01-26-2008, 10:47 PM

MANCRUSH
Funny, isn't it Hillary that's running?

Besides Obama's victory, the big news is that more people in South Carolina voted in the Democratic primary than the Republican one. For a big-time Republican state, that's a big deal.

b-diddy
01-27-2008, 12:19 AM

MANCRUSH

if it were bill were running against BO, i think he would win. i might even concider voting for him. but he's not. im sure its better for bill to be out there for hilary, but i think its a desperation play that wont work. hil cant send bill to 20 states prior to super tuesday, and i think the "i just dont like her" sentiment is growing out of control.

getting bukdowed in SC is notice for the rest of the country: she is no president inevitable.

MikeMyers
01-27-2008, 10:11 AM
The polls show that Hillary has double digit leads in a lot of the super tuesday states. I think Obama is toast on Feb 5th.

b-diddy
01-27-2008, 11:23 AM
bill clinton on hilary and john mccain "they like and respect each other". uhhh? didnt the clintons just wig on on barrack for being too complimentary towards republicans?

b-diddy
01-27-2008, 11:39 AM
carolyne kennedy endorsed obama, said he's the first man to inspire her the way that people tell her JFK inspired them.

i wouldnt count on an 05 route. im anticipating a split. the candidates have to rely on money and adds... if barrack keeps it close on tuesday this nominee is very winnable.

ps: im just now catching up to the racial controversy. bill calling obama reggie jackson was a blunder, obviously. it does feel like the clintons are using a bush / rovian 'all you need is 51 %' type strategy for this race. and that really bothers me, and i think alot more people. now it looks like maybe some party leaders are finally turning on bill clinton, whom has been boss of the party for 20 years.

b-diddy
01-27-2008, 11:44 AM
lol at rudy giuliani. kudos for coming up with a novel campaign strategy. no one will ever use it again, but nice to see something new. all that hype and his campaign is only gonna be one day long.

b-diddy
01-27-2008, 12:12 PM
OUoycVXw9ew

and people call this guy divicive.

Uncle Mxy
01-27-2008, 12:36 PM
The polls show that Hillary has double digit leads in a lot of the super tuesday states. I think Obama is toast on Feb 5th.
The polls showed Obama only winning SC by 10-15% and he won by 25-30%. The polls also showed Obama winning NH by 10% and it turned out to be basically a tie. Keep in mind that Obama was behind by double digits in 3 of the first 4 states with a couple weeks to go, but has won or tied the delegate math in all of 'em.

Whoever wins on Super Tuesday, it's unlikely to be a landslide or killing blow. Note that most of the states after Super Tuesday are ones where Obama can do quite well, though Edwards viability/spoiler effect post-Super Tuesday is a big factor. Edwards poured a ton of money into SC trying to get 2nd place, in a state where he won before, and was just blown off the map.

A bump for Hillary may come from Florida, but that's increasingly likely to get drowned out by all the Republican drama in Florida judging from the relative noise being made by the pundits. There's not a whole lot of drama to be had when no Democrat is campaigning there and no delegates at stake. If Obama can line up the Ted Kennedy endorsement, that'd be a good time to unveil it.

b-diddy
01-27-2008, 12:52 PM
i just heard a stat of some sort that more people voted for obama yesterday in the primary than for kerry in the general.

look out for this general election, people saying "oh, mccain could have a chance" havent been paying attention to how energized the democratic party is. while this primary is exceptional for the dems in that we finally are choosing between two extremely electable candidates, i think the general will be a historical election.

MikeMyers
01-27-2008, 01:19 PM
Not sure b-diddy. SC has a lot of black voters and they are excited over a black candidate. I believe Jesse Jackson won the state twice. Will they be that excited if Hillary gets the nomination? I don't think so.

Tahoe
01-27-2008, 01:19 PM
Not so fast diddy. No one energizes the Republicans the way Hillary could. And some Dems won't vote for her either.

Hermy
01-27-2008, 01:23 PM
If you aren't beating Hil by 10 right now, you aren't beating Hil. Bitch controls the dark side of the force, she and hers will make you hate her opponent just as much as her, then what have you left?

b-diddy
01-27-2008, 01:24 PM
i agree that hilary could energize the republicans. but was it rush that said nominating the wrong candidate could permanently splinter the GOP? i agree. the democratic party used to be concidered the union of unrelated causes. i think the republican party has taken over that role. different factions of the party not only are unrelated, but actually against each other that one candidate could really do some damage.

but its not just sc that had record turnout, its every state... not michigan.

Tahoe
01-27-2008, 01:25 PM
Yea, they sort of drag you down to their level then beat you at that game.

I lost a lil respect for Bill in this thing.

Hermy
01-27-2008, 01:32 PM
Yea, they sort of drag you down to their level then beat you at that game.

I lost a lil respect for Bill in this thing.

Agreed. More surrogate than former head-of-state, but if that's what it takes to get power you better bet the man is on it....so you kinda have to respect that in a not so respectful kinda way.

Uncle Mxy
01-27-2008, 01:54 PM
lol at rudy giuliani. kudos for coming up with a novel campaign strategy. no one will ever use it again, but nice to see something new. all that hype and his campaign is only gonna be one day long.
I sorta like his strategy, but not his implementation. If you're only likable from a distance, then stay away from retail politics. I get that.

But...

If he was gonna focus on Super Tuesday and those big state races, then he should've been doing it for a long time now. His national ads should've been flooding the air for months. He should've been building a ground game in the bigger states, with the requisite funding. He should've had key endorsements from key warmongers lined up, timed with the four primaries, show he is on a different playing field. He didn't do any of that.

What I don't understand is what he did with all the campaign money he raised.

MikeMyers
01-27-2008, 02:08 PM
Its pretty funny that Rudy is tanking. His whole campaign is based on "national security". Since when did getting attacked in your city make you an expert on security?

Tahoe
01-27-2008, 07:54 PM
Its pretty funny that Rudy is tanking. His whole campaign is based on "national security". Since when did getting attacked in your city make you an expert on security?

He polls well in the security thing. He just had a fucked up stratedgy by not competing in the first 5ish primaries.

Tahoe
01-27-2008, 07:56 PM
What is laughable to me is the liberal media, pretty much giving Bill a pass on things he says, where a Republican would get roasted.

b-diddy
01-28-2008, 01:50 AM
the hardest thing to take from these clintons is the 'bill's just doing it out of commitment, or love, or whatever, for hillary'.

now, there are certain things you just cant say, and calling them out on this is one of them. but come on! what BS. this is the same bill clinton who essentially threw away what could have been one of the most proggressive era's in american history so he could recieve oral sex from a pretty gnarley looking ho. obviously, discussing THAT would be out of bounds, but when the clintons are bsing about their commitment to each other non stop, its almost a slap to the face.

Tahoe
01-28-2008, 02:30 PM
the hardest thing to take from these clintons is the 'bill's just doing it out of commitment, or love, or whatever, for hillary'.

now, there are certain things you just cant say, and calling them out on this is one of them. but come on! what BS. this is the same bill clinton who essentially threw away what could have been one of the most proggressive era's in american history so he could recieve oral sex from a pretty gnarley looking ho. obviously, discussing THAT would be out of bounds, but when the clintons are bsing about their commitment to each other non stop, its almost a slap to the face.

Bill is doing it cuz he's like most any other politician, he loves the spotlight, he loves the attention and he loves the control(but prolly moreseo for him than any other). He wants this prolly more than Hillary. Think about it, he'll be back in the same bedroom as when he was Prez.

Fool
01-28-2008, 03:26 PM
I wouldn't say he wants it more than her.

Uncle Mxy
01-28-2008, 03:56 PM
Think about it, he'll be back in the same bedroom as when he was Prez.
You think he was in his own bedroom?
<confused>

Fool
01-28-2008, 03:57 PM
Of course. Hillary sleeps during the day ... in a coffin.

Tahoe
01-29-2008, 02:13 AM
I'm not sure if deep down Clinton is a racist. I don't know whats in his heart but I think he's a fucking douche bag for introducing race in this.

Uncle Mxy
01-29-2008, 05:41 AM
I'm not sure if deep down Clinton is a racist. I don't know whats in his heart but I think he's a fucking douche bag for introducing race in this.
It's bad for the Clinton legacy, but a good thing for Obama. Obama gets some of that shit out of the way early on, and get endorsements that likely wouldn't have otherwise have when he needs them. Politics in general is a racist and sexist business, because lots of voters are racist and sexist. People practiced in the art of politics know how to angle such themes to be weapons, "agents of change", or whatever you call it.

Obama and Edwards really forced Hillary to play her "Bill" trump card early. No way was Hillary expecting she'd need to emo her way to a narrow victory in NH, that Obama would steal Edwards "union" thunder in NV. If not for Bill. she loses NV outright. But it's hard to turn an ex-President "on" and "off" in the eye of the public. Whenever Bill Clinton gets uppity, he WILL have a 7x24 media megaphone glued to his ass for the next few weeks.

I just went to nytimes.com and washingtonpost.com's main pages for grins. There's one mention of Bill Clinton and one mention of "Billary' on nytimes.com -- zero mentions of Hillary on her own. On washingtonpost.com, you have one mention of the Clintons with this picture showing guess-who on top:

http://media.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/photo/2007/11/14/PH2007111402130.jpg

and (finally) one mention of Clinton that didn't involve Bill. That's some serious oxygen suckage.

Timone
01-29-2008, 08:23 AM
It's bad for the Clinton legacy, but a good thing for Obama. Obama gets some of that shit out of the way early on, and get endorsements that likely wouldn't have otherwise have when he needs them. Politics in general is a racist and sexist business, because lots of voters are racist and sexist.

Yeah, people I know have said they won't vote for Obama because he's a Muslim (even though he isn't?).

Glenn
01-29-2008, 08:23 AM
Yeah, people I know have said they won't vote for Obama because he's a Muslim (even though he isn't?).

smear campaign

Hermy
01-29-2008, 08:32 AM
smear campaign

By quoting that post you are only adding to it Glenn.

Glenn
01-29-2008, 08:36 AM
By quoting that post you are only adding to it Glenn.

smear campaign