WTFDetroit.com

View Full Version : Mars and stuff...

Tahoe
12-23-2007, 06:05 PM
A couple of quickie Science things. I'm not into science, I hated science in school, but have been watching the NASA channel.

Mars is really really close to us right now. I checked it out and it is.

Mars is likely to get hit with a meteor storm in the next couple of months. Its going to be like 3 megaton bombs going off if all this works out like Scientists think it will.

We sent a craft to Mars in June-ish and it will get there in March.

There is a black hole way the hell out there that is reeking havoc on a neiboring galaxy. They say they've never seen anything similar or something. Theres all this fire and whatever coming out of the black hole and the galaxy just seems to be right in its path.

Timone
12-23-2007, 06:10 PM
A couple of quickie Science things. I'm not into science, I hated science in school

Glad I'm not the only one.

cruscott35
12-30-2007, 06:23 PM
If there is anything that is more of a waste of money than space, I want to know. One dollar that goes into space that isn't for DoD purposes is a waste, IMO.

Uncle Mxy
12-30-2007, 08:01 PM
Of course, one of the biggest benefactors of overall space research is the aeronautic biz, which tends to ties in comfortably with defense spending.

cruscott35
12-30-2007, 10:06 PM
I don't care what company gets the money, I think the government spending one dollar out there for something other than a defense type system is a waste. I could give less than a fuck about Mars.

Uncle Mxy
12-30-2007, 10:45 PM
http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2004/01/20040114-3.html

Zip Goshboots
12-30-2007, 11:08 PM
I can see where you're coming from. All of our "space dollars" should go for defense.
It's just a matter of time before Jupiter launches a major attack against us, I'm sure.

cruscott35
12-30-2007, 11:31 PM
I'm ok with all of our space dollars going for feeding homeless people.

Tahoe
12-31-2007, 12:21 AM
Anyone have a list of all the good things that have come from us being in space?

I hear about things every once in a while but they never seem to stick with me.

b-diddy
12-31-2007, 12:30 AM
you might not see any rewards in a space program, but your great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great,great, great, great, great, great, great,great, great, great, great, great, great,great, great, great, great, great, great,great, great, great, great, great, great,great, great, great, great, great, great,great, great, great, great, great, great, grand kids will thank us for our sacrifices.

Tahoe
12-31-2007, 12:32 AM
I'm not sure we get that far with all the nukes on the earth.

I'm sure there are some medical devices or something that has really improved cuz of space travel.

gusman
12-31-2007, 02:08 AM
2 things here

1 So mars is getting hit with meteors and what not and who is to say that we could not get hit one day and I doubt the government would even tell us.

2 I dont even think we landed on the moon

Uncle Mxy
12-31-2007, 07:16 AM
I'm sure there are some medical devices or something that has really improved cuz of space travel.
There's many overall technology improvements that have happened primarily as the result of space technology investment. Medical instrumentation is just the tip of the iceberg, and it may be the case that space-age technologies like angioplasty, improved dialysis. improved visualization, etc. save more lives than it would have to give that money away as food. (And hey, aren't food subsidies where we pay farmers NOT to grow food? But I digress...). Sure, conquering gravity is a bitch, but once you get past that, there's tons of productive things one can do just with zero-g environments, and undoubtedly more that hasn't yet been thought of. Mastery of the environment is what our lives are all about, fundamentally. Think big, not narrow. The same goes for other hostile less-explored enviroments in our world like the deep ocean.

Of course, there's all kinds of improvements that have happened as the result of defense technology investment, like post-WWII manufacturing processes, the Internet, etc. :). The key is to invest wisely, to maintain a climate where useful developments can be permuted into revolutionary technolgies and to keep track of what's going on. Our government has done all sorts of good and bad things in this area over time, and rarely gets the credit or blame it deserves. When Joe Blow thinks of the government's involvement with the Internet, it's the the Al Gore joke, not DARPA from the 60s. When Joe Blow thinks about shitty computer security, it's about shitty PC viruses not about the decades of our U.S. government against many fundamental computer security technologies that created the environment for such crap to exist.

Tahoe
12-31-2007, 02:41 PM
Mxy. I agree on everything and in an hour if someone asked me to list the good things that have come from us going into space and my mind would still go blank.

Edit...I think I'll just go with the Internets.

Zip Goshboots
12-31-2007, 08:32 PM
Well, lemme axe you dis:

Space is out there. The Moon, the other planets, and whatever. Should we just sit here, on this insignificant blue speck in some outer quadrant of the Milky Way, and not try to see what is out there?

Honestly, what if Christopher Columbus just looked at the ocean and thought, "Aw hell, I can't swim, fuck it"?
What if Henry Ford would have thought, "Horses really aren;t THAT slow"
What if Abraham Lincoln would have thought, "Well, it IS the south, and they're a bunch of dumb fucks, let 'em have their own country"
What if Jesus would have thought, "Hey God, all they're gonna do is nail me to a tree, fuck them, I ain't going down there!"
What if Reese, after bumping into Jif, while eating a candy bar, hadn;t thought, "Hey! Peanut butter and chocolate DOES taste great together!"

So we sit here, being all, "Hey, everything revolves around the Erff, and it's all good"?

cruscott35
01-02-2008, 05:51 PM
Well, lemme axe you dis:

Space is out there. The Moon, the other planets, and whatever. Should we just sit here, on this insignificant blue speck in some outer quadrant of the Milky Way, and not try to see what is out there?

Honestly, what if Christopher Columbus just looked at the ocean and thought, "Aw hell, I can't swim, fuck it"?
What if Henry Ford would have thought, "Horses really aren;t THAT slow"
What if Abraham Lincoln would have thought, "Well, it IS the south, and they're a bunch of dumb fucks, let 'em have their own country"
What if Jesus would have thought, "Hey God, all they're gonna do is nail me to a tree, fuck them, I ain't going down there!"
What if Reese, after bumping into Jif, while eating a candy bar, hadn;t thought, "Hey! Peanut butter and chocolate DOES taste great together!"

So we sit here, being all, "Hey, everything revolves around the Erff, and it's all good"?

It's a ton of money that could be used elsewhere. I'm all for dreaming big and figuring shit out, I just wish someone else other than me would pay for it.

Zip Goshboots
01-02-2008, 09:49 PM
It's a ton of money that could be used elsewhere. I'm all for dreaming big and figuring shit out, I just wish someone else other than me would pay for it.
Geez, you the only guy in the counrty paying taxes? Man, that sucks!

Uncle Mxy
03-28-2009, 10:42 AM
http://www.engin.umich.edu/newscenter/feature/mars/

Tahoe
03-28-2009, 03:18 PM
http://www.engin.umich.edu/newscenter/feature/mars/

Now we're getting somewhere.

Pharaoh
03-29-2009, 07:59 AM
Without Zip this thread is a waste of time (no offense to those interested in this thread)

Zip for Poster of the Year