WTFDetroit.com

View Full Version : Muslim helps Jews

Timone
12-15-2007, 05:09 PM
NEW YORK (CNN) -- A Muslim man jumped to the aid of three Jewish subway riders after they were attacked by a group of young people who objected to one of the Jews saying "Happy Hanukkah," a spokeswoman for the three said Wednesday.

The New York Police Department's Hate Crimes Task Force is investigating Friday's incident on the Q train.

Friday's altercation on the Q train began when somebody yelled out "Merry Christmas," to which rider Walter Adler responded, "Happy Hanukkah," said Toba Hellerstein.

"Almost immediately, you see the look in this guy's face like I've called his mother something," Adler told CNN affiliate WABC.

Two women who were with a group of 10 rowdy people then began to verbally assault Adler's companions with anti-Semitic language, Hellerstein said.

One member of the group allegedly yelled, "Oh, Hanukkah. That's the day that the Jews killed Jesus," she said.

When Adler tried to intercede, a male member of the group punched him, she said.

Another passenger, Hassan Askari -- a Muslim student from Bangladesh -- came to Adler's aid, and the group began physically and verbally assaulting him, Hellerstein said.

"A Muslim-American saved us when our own people were on the train and didn't do anything," Adler said.

Adler pulled the emergency brake and the train stopped at DeKalb Avenue station, where police came on board.

The 10 suspects, ages 19 to 20, were taken into custody, said Brooklyn district attorney spokesman Sandy Silverstein.

Askari was first handcuffed alongside them, but he was released when Adler told police he was not an attacker, Hellerstein said.

Alder was treated at Long Island College Hospital for injuries that included a fractured nose and a cut lip that required several stitches, while Askari suffered a black eye, Hellerstein said.
advertisement

The suspects are to appear in Brooklyn District Court on February 7 on charges that include assault, attempted assault, menacing, harassment, unlawful assembly, riot and disorderly conduct, Silverstein said.

The New York Police Department's Hate Crimes Task Force is investigating the incident, and will determine whether the suspects will be charged with hate crimes, Officer Philip Hauser told CNN.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/12/12/subway.attack/index.html

Fool
12-15-2007, 06:23 PM
"Oh, Hanukkah. That's the day that the Jews killed Jesus"

That would be Passover and the Romans.

Timone
12-15-2007, 06:25 PM
Yeah, it amazes me...

Tahoe
12-15-2007, 06:27 PM
I knew a Christian who helped somebody and they didn't get headlines. :(

Timone
12-15-2007, 06:31 PM
Sorry Tahoe, maybe next year.

..Erm, I mean tell your Christian "friend" that.

Fool
12-15-2007, 06:33 PM
lol Big Swam does believe you.

Uncle Mxy
12-16-2007, 04:12 AM
Yeah, it amazes me...
I'm not surprised.

You forgot the best part -- pictures of some of the thugs.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/12122007/news/regionalnews/12122007_thugs/photo01.jpg

http://www.nypost.com/seven/12122007/news/regionalnews/jews_subway_hero_a_muslim_381263.htm

One of those collared straphangers yesterday denied making anti-Semitic taunts and said his mother is Jewish.

Joseph Jirovec, 19 - the son of a city firefighter who is currently serving in Iraq - has pleaded guilty to a 2005 bias crime against blacks.

"We are not racist against Jewish people. That whole hate-crime thing is ridiculous," the Brooklyn man said.

He claims Adler's group was drunk and taunted his group, and one yelled, "We killed Jesus."

Jirovec will soon begin serving six months for his role in the attack against four men in Gerritsen Beach.

"I'm trying to stay out of trouble," he said. "When I get out, I want to go into the military."

Timone
12-16-2007, 12:40 PM
One of those collared straphangers yesterday denied making anti-Semitic taunts and said his mother is Jewish.

"My best friend is black..."

MoTown
12-16-2007, 03:57 PM
I hope they send this story to the Middle East.

Because if this doesn't bring peace on Earth, I don't know what will.

Big Swami
12-16-2007, 04:10 PM
I like this story. More people should put themselves on the line for others. Apparently these two guys are great friends now, I was reading where they have each other over all the time.